• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Problem with Quick Flow 450 flooding

pedal2themetal

Local time
1:55 AM
Reaction score
HI All.
HI, OK..
first question.. if I only have 12ins of vacuum would a 6.5 Power valve cause flooding at idle??
Second,
I've had it rebuilt by a carburetor shop. having a problem with it flooding occasionally and doesn't seam to clear out once flooded and runs pig rich.. Floats are set to the bottom of the sight glass.
If I give it a one full pump when cold it well flood and not clear out and runs pig rich and missing bad.
if it give it just a tough to set choke and rev it to fast idle it seams Ok and runs fine..

Second thought maybe I should switch to HEI coil with 8 mm wires to get a hotter / better spark?
any thoughts will be appreciated..
Cam is .420 lift at .50 In and Ex. duration 270 In, and Ex. 110 lobe seperation.
its been running fine up till the past few months..
its been awhile but i think my timing is 28* at 2800.. haven't checked idle timing.
Plugs are white

Thanks , take care be safe
tim

Last edited:
Crank your timing up unless it's a hemi

HI,
Thanks for the reply.. Sorry its a 318.
I'm not totally sure its timing. I'll check thru it tomorrow. its been running fine with no problems for a few years (daily driver) .. Could be distributor related since the plugs are white even tho it runs and smells pig rich sometimes .. its very elusive.. sometimes it runs fine then for no reason it goes pig rich and misses.. maybe its just not firing on all 8 making me think it rich?? distributor is fairly new wires are fairly new, coil is fairly new and the ICM is fairly new too... There is not a shop around that can diagnose our car's now a days.. need someone with an old Sun machine......

It has just under 30 thousand on total rebuild .. runs great except for a grounding problem where it would not start sometimes . figured that out after paying a coupe of shops hundreds of $$ with no fix (they've replaced Distributor, ICM and coil.with no fix.) and if I unplug and plug the connection it starts right up. Now the two wires of this connection, one goes to the alternator and the other does go to the distributor, but if I unplug and plug it when its missing and running bad it doesn't help..

Again Thanks, and anymore help or thoughts well be appreciated ..

Thanks, take care be safe
tim

maybe you have an intermiten vacuum leak? once i had a cracked grommet at the brake booster. hitting a bump in the road would jiggle the brake vacuum hose causing the grommet on the booster to leak. that sudden vacuum leak would cause both power valves on my 850 holley to open which would stall the engine immediately.

maybe you have an intermiten vacuum leak? once i had a cracked grommet at the brake booster. hitting a bump in the road would jiggle the brake vacuum hose causing the grommet on the booster to leak. that sudden vacuum leak would cause both power valves on my 850 holley to open which would stall the engine immediately.

HI,
Now that may be a possibility ... I have noticed a weird noise once in a while when applying the brakes??? and once my pedal was VERY hard.. I'll check that out
Thanks,,

take care be safe
tim

A vacuum leak will make it run like **** but it will not make it flood over or make it run rich.

A vacuum leak will make it run like **** but it will not make it flood over or make it run rich.
hi,
yeah, No fuel running out of the carb, just smells very rich when its not running right..
I wiggled all the vacuum lines with no change even the booster line and PCV line.
Since the plugs are all white .. I'm thinking its not flooding but maybe not firing on all 8 sometimes. The problem comes and goes so next time its missing and smelling rich I'm going to put a timing light inductive connector on each wire and see if they are all firing.. as well as I'm going to look at the timing to make sure its not chain related shouldn't tho it has a double roller in it only about 30T miles.. OH and choke is fully open so its not that.
I'm also going to check the fuel bowl sight glass for over fueling. secondairs are like right at the bottom of the glass but the primaires are 1/2 glass... when running good.

Thanks again I'll keep ya posted ..

Do you have an insulator under the carb or just a gasket. You need some type of insulator with today's fuels.

HI, yes I have a 1" adapter square bore carb to spread bore intake.. can't go any taller or my filter nut is into the hood. its already into the insulation material.

Whats a good idle timing setting.. the hood card says TDC at 750. but I do have upped the cam (See above for spec.). I did just checked it and it's right at TDC and solid (no movement at idle) and the timing set is 0*.

Thanks take care be safe
tim

Start with setting your total timing at 36 degrees. Depending on the springs in your dist. just rev it up till it stops moving then see what you have. Then reset idle speed. For timing at idle. 10-15 btdc at 750 is fine. Also your spacer, is it aluminum?

Get both fuel levels at half glass.
Kinda sounds like needle+ seat leakage

HI,
If the needle and seat were leaking the fuel level would be high as it wouldn't stop the fuel flow.

I think I've found the culprit. Brake booster ...

DanielSlocum Metioned it earlery about him having a bad grommet causing him fits too. in post #7​

this time when it started messing up I was driving and the brakes felt funny and I could hear the brakes sissing every time I stepped on the pedal.

Thanks to all for your input..

take care be safe
tim

Good to see you resolved it.

HI,
Can't seam to find a booster for it.. : ( .. it was running like crap this morning .. Unplugged the booster and it runs so much better no missing at all.. Now just need to reset timing and mixture screw's .. I"m going to run it in manuel mode and wait till I find one.

thanks again take care be safe
tim

Auto Transport Service
Back