• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Production number on 73 Charger 400 4sp

Ruger39

Local time
11:11 AM
Reaction score
Hello - I have a 1973 Dodge Charger and would really appreciate help with the production numbers b/c I am crazy about my new car and it is slightly getting in the way of me accomplishing anything today other then searching the net! I think I have decoded correctly; upon learning this car came out of Michigan might explain missing codes that are obvious options that are included in this car (A57). Help...

I did search this forum and found this thread: https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/1973-charger-se-production-numbers.12277/ which is why I am interested in my car as my tag reflects 400Ci 4Bbl High Performance but it is clearly not an SE. I read that cars that were produced out of Lynch Rd assembly plant were often missing codes from the fender tag but IF a Lynch Rd built car had the V21 code it was a Rallye; is this true? I can find #'s on 340 and 440 cars but not 400.

Below is my pics and my decoding. Thank you in advance! :)

17110(Gate #) 202757(Line Sequence #) 056(400 4bl with Manual Transmission) (axle assembly number = B body, 8.75 rear end with 3.23 gears and Sure Grip, 11" drum brakes) 989(transmission code) 807(Axle code)
(radiator diameter) G11(tinted glass) G36(dual racing mirrors)
V4X(vinyl top code) U(USA) V21(Perf Hood treatment/stripe) J54 (sport hood)
JY6(Gold Upper door frame) H6Y4(Honey Gold bucket seats) JY6(Gold Upper door frame) 309(March 9th) 133364(production #)
E68 - 400Ci 4Bbl High Performance, D21 - 4 speed trans. WH23 - Charger 2 door hardtop. P - 400 Ci 4 BBl Hi Performance engine. 3 - 1973 Model year. A - Lynch Rd assembly plant

73 Charger Fender Tag.jpg

The J54 hood code also tells us this car has the Rally package.

A couple of changes on the decode

17110 (Gate # AND base number 17 & 110) has to do with the production of the body in white.
202757 (Line Sequence #) Also has to do with the production of the body in white.

JY6(Gold Upper door frame) The first paint code tells us the body color.
H6Y4(Honey Gold bucket seats) JY6(Gold Upper door frame) The second paint code tells us the inner door panel color.
309(March 9th) This is the date the car was scheduled to be produced. The actual production date may be earlier or later than this date.
133364(production #) This is the Vehicle Order Number. It's unrelated to production sequence.

There were approximately 396 WH23 400-4bbl four speed cars shipped for sale in the US. Exact numbers are unknown. As the 400 was available in both the Rallye and Non Rallye cars, there is no break out for the number of Rallye cars with a 400 like there is for a 340 or 440.

Nice find. This is not a common combination.

Nice.

Let's see the whole car.

Thank you so much folks! Excellent so all my hard work paid off! I wonder why there are numbers for the 340 and 440; is there any chance was b/c Chryslers files were lost or destroyed by a fire (I thought one of the threads mentioned this)?

69Coronetrt that is very interesting about the color white since the car is gold, any ideas?

YY1 I see you list a 1972 WP29P Charger SE Hideaways - nice love it!

Here she is; I am a sucker for Cragars. I known Mopar folks frown on them but ...gotta be me!

5DF6D406-F431-4B0E-8599-F06725D37D71.jpeg

FE90CC5E-1B19-4467-9770-6FC7EAED44F6.jpeg

Man, that is a nice, rare car and a 4 spd too boot! Very nice.

I believe you could only get the 340 in a Rallye in 73/74, so production numbers for 340 cars are also for rallye cars.

400-4 was a somewhat common engine across all price classes.

Thanks! I thought that might reference something about the colour good to hear.

I am really excited, I had parted with my auto 72 roadrunner for a manual firebird (hated it) then to 67 GTO, and alas my husband was visiting a friend and sent me pictures of this car (knowing I was gonna cave) and that night we drove it home! Sold! Some girls like shoes, I like cars.

I believe you could only get the 340 in a Rallye in 73/74, so production numbers for 340 cars are also for rallye cars.

400-4 was a somewhat common engine across all price classes.

You could only get the 340 and 440 in a WH with the Rallye package. That's why the numbers for those combos exist. (If WH and 340 or 440 then Rally package.)

The 400 could be had with or without Rally package so those numbers are not available.

Thank you so much folks! Excellent so all my hard work paid off! I wonder why there are numbers for the 340 and 440; is there any chance was b/c Chryslers files were lost or destroyed by a fire (I thought one of the threads mentioned this)?

69Coronetrt that is very interesting about the color white since the car is gold, any ideas?

YY1 I see you list a 1972 WP29P Charger SE Hideaways - nice love it!

Body in white refers to the basic assembly of the individual panels necessary to create the shell of the car.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_in_white

That is a great looking car, and I'm sure fun to drive. Congrats.

You could only get the 340 and 440 in a WH with the Rallye package. That's why the numbers for those combos exist. (If WH and 340 or 440 then Rally package.)

The 400 could be had with or without Rally package so those numbers are not available.
So is mine a Rallye b/c of the codes J54 and the V21, correct?

It has some unusual options for sure and they all work which amazes me...trying to look them up. The sound when you leave your key in, backup light warning (never knew that ever existed), 3 speed wipers, fender mounted turn signals (for some reason I really like these). Oh wait my fuel gage does not work; I guess that is kinda important!

What option is the spoiler/wing?

I may have to post the instrumental panel cluster to see if that has the Rallye option.

@69Coronetrt

Am I imagining that I've seen not one but several 440 powered 73/74 SE cars?

So is mine a Rallye b/c of the codes J54 and the V21, correct?

It has some unusual options for sure and they all work which amazes me...trying to look them up. The sound when you leave your key in, backup light warning (never knew that ever existed), 3 speed wipers, fender mounted turn signals (for some reason I really like these). Oh wait my fuel gage does not work; I guess that is kinda important!

What option is the spoiler/wing?

I may have to post the instrumental panel cluster to see if that has the Rallye option.

Yes, J54 and V21 indicate it is definitely a Rallye car. The existence of a rear sway bar would be another indicator. It is common that code A57 Rallye was not put on Lynch Road Fender Tags. Have you looked for a build sheet?

The wing and front spoiler were not available in 73, so you won't find any codes for that. They have been added by a previous owner. The black hood paint should also be matte black, not gloss. Key buzzer and reverse light are standard items. Fender turn signals and 3-speed wipers are not uncommon, but certainly nice to have.

Rallye cluster has round gauges (as opposed to oblong standard gauges), but that does not mean anything as non-rallye cars could also come with rallye style gauges under certain packages.

As the 400 was available in both the Rallye and Non Rallye cars, there is no break out for the number of Rallye cars with a 400 like there is for a 340 or 440.
Just referring to the above.

Maybe I'm not understanding.

Yes, J54 and V21 indicate it is definitely a Rallye car. The existence of a rear sway bar would be another indicator. It is common that code A57 Rallye was not put on Lynch Road Fender Tags. Have you looked for a build sheet?

The wing and front spoiler were not available in 73, so you won't find any codes for that. They have been added by a previous owner. The black hood paint should also be matte black, not gloss. Key buzzer and reverse light are standard items. Fender turn signals and 3-speed wipers are not uncommon, but certainly nice to have.

Rallye cluster has round gauges (as opposed to oblong standard gauges), but that does not mean anything as non-rallye cars could also come with rallye style gauges under certain packages.
Great! Will check that out tonight and taking it out for a quick spin. I only looked in the easier hide-way spots, under the seat but I have heard they sometimes put them in the seat or under the gas tank?

Thanks for the wing/front spoiler; definitely did not know that info. I would much prefer the matte black as the car has enough "bling" already.

Got some interesting info today and pleasantly surprised on the origin of the car; my husband called a shop that was listed on the key-chain. Thought it was a long shot for sure but they had the car just 2 months ago. We were told the car was from Virginia but it turns out it is CA car which explains why there is no rust. The last owner had it from 2008 until now and didn't drive it much, just too bad no service records came with the car. The owner said they put a new flywheel clutch and rebuilt the trans, he said the trans is original, but we already checked the vin on the engine and it is not the original. Still really happy finding anything about the car, and can't wait to get it up on the lift to poke around as there is something up with the brakes. Hubby says something about a vacuum but thats when it all gets hazy for me and my understanding of mechanics.

Cluster(1).jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back