• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Progress report, Junkyard Dog

Great looking job! Just told the wife "It's amazing what some guys do to bring old cars back from the dead". I never gave it much thought before joining on here. I'm sure being a proficient welder is a major asset in taking on these projects. Good job! :yes:

Great looking job! Just told the wife "It's amazing what some guys do to bring old cars back from the dead". I never gave it much thought before joining on here. I'm sure being a proficient welder is a major asset in taking on these projects. Good job! :yes:
Thanks Joe, I may not be the best welder, getting better, but if you have good equipment it sure helps and by the time I get to the outer sheet metal I will be much more proficient. I am having a lot of fun with this project, and I certainly can't wait for it to be finished, partly because I am anxious to start the next one.:th_krazy:

Still grinding and welding, finished welding in the package tray and fixed the crossmember at the rear just behind the bumper. The one that was on the doner parts was bent up from being dragged without any suspension so I cut out the damaged area and salvaged that piece that was originally from my car. One of the few parts that are original to the car anymore!!:rolling::rolling:
I also started to look closer at the front of the car and decided that I needed to take care of a few things up there befor media blasting. Scored a nice radiator core support online, the original one was also pretty bent and had a bunch of extra holes in it, so I decided to replace it. In the process I discovered that the passenger inner fender had been removed at some point long ago along with the core support and when they were put back on it was done with a brazing rod and a torch.:confused: I have been working on it a lot lately and am taking care of a lot of loose ends, feels good!:grin:

IMG_4391_1.JPG

IMG_4392_2.JPG

IMG_4396_7.JPG

IMG_4442_8.JPG

IMG_4444_10.JPG

Congrats Matt! I'm trying to get the plug welding right also. Good luck and keep the pix coming. Scotty

Man thats alot of work. good thing you like doing it. I cant believe how we use to scrap cars back in the day, that were no where near as bad as yours. Just think, some good cars met there fait way before there time:sad:

Definitely have to commend you on all that work Matt. That is one serious rebuild. When you tell someone "I know this car in and out", you ain't kidding buddy! Good work!

Thanks guys, more to come I have been on it every day for at least 4 hours and will be out there again today. Happy Easter.

Looking good.I'v done a couple projects that were not quite that bad but close on some brand X cars.Just keep plugging away.

Matt, I think you are on par with my insanity on my GTX with your car! We ought to have a category; 'Worst Condition Rebuild' and we can post our shat up for all to see!

Well, I've decided, I was going to wait till after media blasting and some reassembly to do this, but after much thought I have changed my mind. I am going to replace my whole cowl section before media blasting, I think I will be better off doing it now. I will walk you through it, it should be fun, and then I can really concentrate on the outer sheet metal and hopefully have it ready for the body shop this fall. All the pics + the fact that I have decided no a.c. and don't want those holes in the firewall are the reasons I am changing the whole thing. The last pic is the candidate for the replacement, although I may have another one to chose from. The base of my a-pillars are rotten along with the base of the door jambs where they meet the rockers, the lower cowl is shot and the firewall is all hacked up, so out it comes. First step will be to brace the hell out of the car so that everything stays put while I cut this car up even further. More to come.:grin:

IMG_3169_1.JPG

IMG_3170_2.JPG

IMG_4016_4.JPG

IMG_4019_2.JPG

IMG_4025_3.JPG

IMG_4029_1.JPG

IMG_4067_1.JPG

IMG_3239_1.JPG

Jeesh, you are right there Matt, I did this same thing a few months back! Can't wait to see the end result! Good idea to change it before Media Blasting, I took that route, but, then again I can tell that idiot when I want to get it Media Blasted, he works for me; and I for him, haha!

i like how you say replacing the whole cowl section " should be fun " !! it takes a special person to find that fun !! keep up the good work ...

Hey, it is/was fun, I looked at it like a challenge, which it was, long live the former rust buckets!

Hey, it is/was fun, I looked at it like a challenge, which it was, long live the former rust buckets!

well when your ready, you can come to VA and "help" me with my '65 !! i'm not looking foward to that job at all ! ......:plane:

Well, I'm hoping to make a road trip this summer to NH, will have to go thru VA...I could make a stop!

Actually, I do have a cowel section available, it was toast, but, I've repaired it, and painted it in primer that I would sell you, make me a reasonable offer, and if you have pay pal, we can play! I can send you a pic of it if you want.

Im pumped for ya! That rust is like a disease! Good ta see ya keep a positive attitude towards your project. Keep up the good work!

Auto Transport Service
Back