• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Progress report, Junkyard Dog

detmatt1

Local time
10:38 AM
Reaction score
Still just screwed together but I think I am ready to unscrew it and weld it all back together. This is a Goodmark bumper and all of the sheetmetal, that isn't oem, is AMD. So far I am pleased with the fitment of everything, couple of small issues, nothing major.

IMG_3923_2.JPG

IMG_3924_3.JPG

IMG_3925_4.JPG

IMG_3926_7.JPG

IMG_3927_6.JPG

IMG_3928_5.JPG

Well, I'll betcha it fit a LOT better than that Chinese trash I tried to install on my Charger 3 years ago.........

......live and learn.........

...........Your B-Body looks like it's gonna be sweet..........Good luck! :santa:

Chinese trash? Isn't AMD stampings from China? Just at a higher quality standard than the stuff before?

Thanks guys, Very little of the repop sheet metal is stamped here anymore. The AMD pieces fit great on the car and I really only have two issues at this point. The area on the quarters that is recessed for the bumper as it wraps around the sides isn't as crisp as it should be. It returns into the recess at a 45 degrees angle and I think it should be a lot closer to 90 degrees. It actually leeves a small triangular whole in between the rear trunk crossmember and the quarter, just under the tailight extension. This hole will need to be filled. Originally I think they left a tab long on the quarter at that point and bent it aroumd the rear panel and just welded it flat to finish that connection. It looks like that on a few cars I have used as a reference that are supposed to have all of there original metal.The other issue I have is with the dutchmen panel behind the rear window and it just doesn't have as crisp body lines as the quarters as it meets the trunk lid. I plan on calling AMD today to discuss issues.
Has anyone seen there current ads in the Collectors Guide?, They actually plucked a `68 Road Runner from a salvage yard and are restoring it in house. Should be interesting to watch there progress.

Yeah, eventually, and if it makes fiscal sense, all parts of these cars will be manufactured. I wonder what kinds of debates went on in the process of getting a loan to start AMD!

A little worse than I expected!

Most recently got the floor out and then moved to the upper cowl where I new I had some rot. When I got it off it was a little worse than I expected, but thankfully not worse than I had prepared for, I have the doner metal waiting. I didn't think the lower cowl was going to be as bad as it is but I guess if you fill up a small metal box with with leaves and pine needles and than get them wet every so often for forty years that it's bound to rust.
Next I am dropping the k frame and front suspension out from underneath, which will probably be done by the time most of you read this, in final prep for a trip to the media blaster.(Donny will be happy to hear that!!).
Also note the picture of the L1 paint color, it is the biggest patch of the original color I have seen yet and it makes me even more excited to get this car ready for paint!!!.:grin:

IMG_3991_4.JPG

IMG_4063_2.JPG

IMG_4064_3.JPG

IMG_4069_4.JPG

IMG_4071_5.JPG

IMG_4074_1.JPG

Back to work, Finally!!

It has been a solid 4 months since I have had a chance to work on the "JUNKYARD DOG". Been busy with work and the holidays did a little number on my toy allowance but I think I'm going to be able get back to it as spring approaches. Anyway, it has been long enough that there was some head scratching to remember where I left off exactly. I did remember but it was a slow start and I was just happy to be working on it again. I made sure I marked the location of all of the panels that I had screwed and clamped together to check all of the fitment. After that I took it all back apart and got back to work on the rear window corners and the many layers that make up those lower corners. AMD is not making all of these parts yet but I am told they will be, luckily I have been able to salvage some decent ones from a doner, just need to clean them up. Have some welding to do to finish the installation of the package tray and the surrounding understructure including the trunk hinge brackets and then off to the media blaster.

IMG_4365_3.JPG

IMG_4363_1.JPG

IMG_4364_2.JPG

This thread was buried, glad you reposted it! Nice pics in there, I hope to have my GTX in a similar state very soon.

Thanks Donny, I'll try not to let it get so buried again. This project has moved back up on the list of priorities.

I got an Idea for you, before you weld your cowl back on weld a screen to the cowl vent.

Made some headway this weekend, FINALLY!. The pics might look a little redundent but the parts are now welded in for good. The structural part of the roof that ties into the tops of the wheelhouses and holds the package tray, the trunk hinge mounting brackets and the package tray are now welded in. A little more welding on the package tray and grinding all the plug welds and it will be off to the media blaster and then the whole thing will be primed prior to the installation of the outer sheet metal and the interior floor pan. Still have a bunch of work on the cowl/firewall area, along with doors and fenders.

IMG_4381_1.JPG

IMG_4382_2.JPG

IMG_4383_3.JPG

IMG_4385_5.JPG

IMG_4386_6.JPG

IMG_4387_7.JPG

IMG_4388_8.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back