• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Project Brown Eyed Girl.. and her 72 Satty.

I've been away awhile, what happened to all the cool emojis? Gold member access only?
I've been away awhile, what happened to all the cool emojis? Gold member access only?
Some got swapped out during the recent software upgrade.

Anyone can find and use them.

Car looks great BTW....really looking forward to keeping tabs on this project. :thumbsup:

Some got swapped out during the recent software upgrade.

Anyone can find and use them.

Car looks great BTW....really looking forward to keeping tabs on this project. :thumbsup:
Weird, my phone doesn't even show them? Nevermind, they used to be on the bottom ready for use, now I have to hit a toolbar.

Well... I spoke to soon about 1 door, that's one serious crease! Guess I know what was up with the front edge and the bodyline now, whoever did it didn't take anything apart but instead built the putty up until it all blended out. Go figure it's right where the inner structure is blocking you from getting a hammer in there... stud gun maybe? Hope the other door is better but I'll take this over rust any day.
IMG_20221231_150904620_HDR.jpg
IMG_20221231_150915818_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, that crease isn’t too bad. Metal is clay. You’ve got it.

David

Last edited:
After looking at the door again I bet anything someone backed up with the door open and caught it on something because that crease matches the fender.. wonder what the fender will look like?

If this is what retirement is like sign me up, people say they don't know what they'd do pfff! I get very little vacation time so when I do take it it's for the family, big vacations but this year they gave us the week off in between Christmas and new years and I'm loving it. I wake up before everyone else so I head to the garage 150' away, crank up the stereo and pound on Ayla's car until the family is up, eat breakfast then work on the attached garage we're building then back to the garage at dark...

Rear bumper after a lot of tweaking is starting to match the trunk lid, the center needed pulled in and down, I should be trimming the ends to fit today.
IMG_20230101_095741472.jpg
IMG_20230101_095736385.jpg

For comparison here's the before pics.
IMG_20221231_080415934.jpg
IMG_20221231_080441086_HDR.jpg

If this is what retirement is like sign me up, people say they don't know what they'd do pfff! I get very little vacation time so when I do take it it's for the family, big vacations but this year they gave us the week off in between Christmas and new years and I'm loving it. I wake up before everyone else so I head to the garage 150' away, crank up the stereo and pound on Ayla's car until the family is up, eat breakfast then work on the attached garage we're building then back to the garage at dark...

Rear bumper after a lot of tweaking is starting to match the trunk lid, the center needed pulled in and down, I should be trimming the ends to fit today.View attachment 1395135View attachment 1395136

For comparison here's the before pics.View attachment 1395137View attachment 1395138
I've been off work, was part time, since I had the Neurosurgery done in July. So essentially I'm retired until I get back at it. However the days are well occupied with dog beach walks/cat box patrol/outdoor poo patrol/laundry/house work/yardwork/make juice and fill feeders for Hummingbirds/grocery store runs/errands plus spend some time on the car. My wife works part time so I took over some of the home tasks. Especially the vacuuming as it hurts her back to do. Like you, I'm not one to sit idle very much. As a homeowner, there are plenty of things to attend to as you can surely relate. We don't have kids or staff so its all on us.

The metal shaping/straightening side of things has always been my biggest struggle with bodywork but with every car I vow to improve on that, this made me very happy. With a little advice from a friend I made a buck that could be pressed tight to the crease with a porta power and miraculously hammered a 1/4" deep crease out to damn near perfection! The stud gun took care of the little dents that weren't accessible from the back, I now have a straight door that will require only a skim coat vs half a gallon:thumbsup:. The passenger side door is now stripped and looks way better, couple minor parking lots dings and a slightly bent lower edge.. easy compared to the other.
IMG_20230101_213728482.jpg
10889.jpeg
IMG_20230101_213550927.jpg
IMG_20230101_213643684.jpg
IMG_20230102_202130424_HDR.jpg

The more I work on this car the more optimistic I get about a quick turnaround time on it... she is 16.

Unlike my last 2 builds there's no rust repairs (yet), the drivetrain is all modern so no piecing together, the car is pretty darn straight, the daughter wants a pretty stockish interior meaning I can just recover the seats myself and not waste time fitting modern seats and the mods I had in mind are turning out to be pretty easily accomplished. This is something I'm not used to!

I made a buck that could be pressed tight to the crease with a porta power and miraculously hammered a 1/4" deep crease out to damn near perfection!
That's a great tip with slick results. Noted for future use.

David

Does anyone have experience with buying power distribution boxes? I've been digging through this wiring and it honestly doesn't look bad at all to wire up but it's clear putting a power distribution box in is the best option. At the very least I need 5 relays and a handful of fuses. I've been looking and there's a ton available on Ebay but likely cheap Chinese crap, I'd really like a name brand option, bussman makes one but it's borderline big enough with 5 micro relays. Can't even find a Bussman catalog to look through their offerings? I absolutely do not want a "prewired" one where I have to make a ton of butt connections but would rather have one that comes with the appropriate terminals.

Here's a picture of what I'm looking for accepted this appears to be prewired for a specific vehicle.
Screenshot_20230109-064623.png

Just as an option, you can buy the same enclosure as the "prewired" ones and it comes with the pins. Still a little tedious, but you can chose what you want in the box. I've done one before and it was pretty easy even for an electrical newbie like myself. You can't beat the price either. I must say that Bussmann box looks pretty slick though.

Fuse and Relay Holder Box

Last edited:
I have used an early '90s Ford ranger power distribution box.

I have used an early '90s Ford ranger power distribution box.
I've thought about going junkyard shopping but figured if I go that route I'll still be stuck searching for the correct terminals along with removing all the old ones. Still an option but with new ones costing as little as they do and the fact that they come with the terminals it makes more sense. To bad this Dakota box is so big and odd shaped or I'd just use it.

Just as an option, you can buy the same enclosure as the "prewired" ones and it comes with the pins. Still a little tedious, but you can chose what you want in the box. I've done one before and it was pretty easy even for an electrical newbie like myself. You can't beat the price either. I must say that Bussmann box looks pretty slick though.

Fuse and Relay Holder Box
I saw those I'm just a bit skeptical about the quality, the ones I'm looking at are weather tight as well. I've had to many electrical problems caused by poorly built Chinese parts. Here's the ones I'm looking at but it would be maxed out on relays, I'd like to have some extra space.Bussmann Fuse Box, Relays & Power Distribution Modules | High Quality & Wide Range

I am using one of the smaller Bussmann/Eaton units with the 5 relays you mentioned. They are nice units and you can get them with the 12v for the fuses or the 12v to the relay coil bussed internally. I also like this one because it uses the weather pack seals on the connections which I have always had good results with.

Here is a link to the best catalog I could find on the different options they have.
https://www.eaton.com/content/dam/eaton/products/emobility/CPCD_Transportation_Catalog.pdf

I was able to get all of the parts I needed for mine from Mouser.com. They usually have a lot in stock and have pretty quick shipping.

I am using one of the smaller Bussmann/Eaton units with the 5 relays you mentioned. They are nice units and you can get them with the 12v for the fuses or the 12v to the relay coil bussed internally. I also like this one because it uses the weather pack seals on the connections which I have always had good results with.

Here is a link to the best catalog I could find on the different options they have.
https://www.eaton.com/content/dam/eaton/products/emobility/CPCD_Transportation_Catalog.pdf

I was able to get all of the parts I needed for mine from Mouser.com. They usually have a lot in stock and have pretty quick shipping.
Thanks a million, this is what I've been looking for.. huge help! Yes all the same reasons I've been looking at them.

Auto Transport Service
Back