• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Project long haul...

Hey fellas, I do hope to get back out soon and get some work done, so much going on here with our Gabby girl and my mom has Alzheimer and dementia, she is not in good shape and when i cant be there im talking with my sister or talking with mom trying to calm her or keep her understanding things are ok, Were ok but i will say its much harder then i realized hearing about this miserable crap... Anyway i found just a couple pictures of what i was doing last fall with the 69, I was going thru some folders and found these, there not much but i thought i would add them, this site and especially my cars i get a lot of relief from the "life's problems" You guys help more then i can say to keep me sane lol, the only way i can put it with the mind filled problems Thank you all... I was trying to get the new tail panel perfect and i cant even say where i was at this point, now its welded in on both sides and needs finished but i can could close the doors for winter when it was welded knowing it was right, i checked it in every way including putting the trunk deck lid back on and making sure everything lined up correct, that way i could move forward and not worry about it not being right, A couple other pics are my son in law who drove his buddy's GTO from Chardin Ohio thinking it would intimidate me, yea right! My 73 clone even looks better sitting there, and sounded 100 % better, its supposed to have the 389 and it does have a 4-speed, it's supposed to be a Muncie but ive been around along time and know the sound of a Saganaw 4-speed and that truck whine they all had! short story is, i wasn't impressed.... 012.jpg

007.jpg

The 1/2 rail for passenger side does not come with the tab, lip to weld your shock crossmember to and this is the one i made and welded on, its the only picture of the work i seen but if any can get these anymore, i think i was told you cant but you will have to make your own, its worth it for that 1/2 rail for sure! You can see the pieces that slide into the original rail and then just drill three plug weld spots on each side, one on the bottom and after its level, measured up right and square just weld away, then weld the seams, you can get at the top some on the inside of the rail and zap some...
008.jpg

004.jpg

New AMD tail panel..

003.jpg

What started this is i wanted to find the pictures of the doors, there both good, i may have a small problem on a corner of one of them and wanted to show you, This new computer without XP i am NOT used to and my other one took a dump with every ounce of information and all my pictures, I kept the hard drive and some day i hope everything is going good enough i can put the hard drive in this and get all my stuff, time will tell unless it comes to the point im working on them and ill just take new ones.. I bought two real good solid fenders for this car from a friend i hope to get in hear at one point, Ive bought so many new and new/used stuff i have it all over the property lol, Roger sent me a good front valance panel and its behind me hear, the grill and head light bezels are hanging above the window here in my radio room along side is my tail lights lol, like i said, all over, kitchen porch garage and this room... I need another building and im reminded of that everytime i go out and see Christy sitting outside, Gurrr, sorry not much to report but i guess some is better then nothing! AND of course, my hired help! She is a doll and wanting to help do anything she can...

100_3432.jpg

Hey Ron I fabed the tabs on mine as well,Had bigblock61 give the measurements on his thread 69 coronet build.Forbbodies is the greatest!

Yes sir it is, Its Johns project that showed and started me on the way to getting that 1/2 rail, Will gave me the link as you said, this is a great place! Thank ya sir!!!

Thanks GTX, I enjoy all this even though its not going the way i would like it, a clear mind and time to be working on it the way i like, but, One day i hope to share pictures and hope they will look as good as yours does now, Thank you sir!!!

You made some great progress! Nice job! I don't have those kind of fab skills (yet - I am trying to still learn), so I had to pay to have the bodywork done on my car. Ouch! But it looks great, so I guess it is good that I didn't try and screw it up myself!

Hawk

great job ron as usual,you are getting that bird whipped in to great shape,great welding and fab work you are making this a short haul instead of a long haul, progress,progress, i like it!

Hey fellas, i appreciate the inspiration! If my health stays stable and nothing happens, ill see the finish line with this, building one is as much fun as driving them to me... I usually don't get in here this time of day but ive been outside doing a couple things and even though its only in the 20's, ill take it! better then teens and single digits we were playing with!
I have a couple pictures here and i know all about the arguments about air shocks and i myself don't think some should put them on, BUT, i can not see any harm with them using 16-20 pd's.. I bought a set and for two reasons, i do have my measurements, pictures (somewhere lol) but i want to make sure the shock tower is exactly where it should be, the second reason i chose them is when the car was delivered it had these small coil springs on top of the differential, Believe me or not i have no problem with buying new leaf springs but there are none broke, they look fine but IF they are weak, the air shocks will compensate until im done with the car and then i can worry about the cash to get them then... I had to come in and put wood in the stove and i need to look for my original pictures of the original shock cross member, that i really don't trust because they daffy ducked the back rails and i have no idea if they moved them or anything and i want this right.. BUT back to work, OH, i forgot to mention i started the 73 up and let it sit and run awhile, oh how i wish spring was closer!!! :) And just for the record, my camera is not the best i know but its dust on the springs and rear end, looks like some rust when i seen them but after i blasted everything, i put Eastwoods converter on and then primer, if things work out right ill shortly have the steel color and the correct black and sand them down and finish them up...

100_3451.jpg100_3452.jpg100_3453.jpg100_3454.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

You made some great progress! Nice job! I don't have those kind of fab skills (yet - I am trying to still learn), so I had to pay to have the bodywork done on my car. Ouch! But it looks great, so I guess it is good that I didn't try and screw it up myself!

Hawk

I almost forgot Hawk, I never looked at fab work as a skill, its just i have a choice they way things are and that is, i either do the work myself or pull the car out and forget it lol, im not good at it but i do think im getting better at it... One reason i say to the sand baggers here that if your willing to go that extra mile and want a Mopar they can do it! And i believe that, ya don't have to have fancy to build and enjoy... :)

I had the exact same helper springs on my 73 Road Runner back in the day - they are still in my basement!

A thought on the air shocks: The reason air shocks can be problematic (which you obviously know) is that the shock mount was not designed to take that load. If the shocks are pumped up the mount is taking a lot of the load of the car, which can cause it the break. Well, you are in there welding and building anyway - why not weld a stiffening plate to you shock mount and then you won't need to worry about it? It is easily accessible at the moment, so it should be a pretty easy deal...

Just brainstorming...

Same helpers! that's kind of cool Hawk and your right about now would be a good time to weld in some help but i had two reasons for using them right now and i think they will work out great, I don't intend to keep them but only long enough to grab some new springs IF that is necessary, I have other plans for the shocks and brakes on this car...
To be honest i thought the shock cross member was pretty stout on my 73 until Mark sent this one, its from a 66 B-body and i don't think it would need any kind of reinforcement even if i were going to permanently go this route... I thank you for the suggestion though, its good to know others have your back!!!
There is a lot of different things that will not be original when im done, shocks and brakes are two, but there is so many things before i get to play in this way with ideas and the good stuff! lol, I do look forward to being in that position though...
Some of the things i want to do is going to be a bit pricey and ive told my wife as much as it seems to be taking money now, later on will be worse but again, no hurry and i want it right, Not only with the putting it all together but things like Willwood brakes, I want the 383 until i can have the money to do my 400 or 440, leather interior im hoping for, everything depends on the money and what i may be able to buy until my magical tree gets here for the money end, it is a project, it never ends! ect... i think im a bit timid to tell her to much, a year at a time will suffice for now lol...... Thanks bud!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I do remember one important thing about my 70 RR back in the day, the wide tires, chrome wheels and "Gabriel hijackers" someone had put on it, One day i was taking Sue home and the back end dropped! The D-side shock broke in half and the car came down on my back tire and ripped it up, i never did forget that little mishap, I bought the car they way it was and was young, never paided any attention to it and it happened, Her mom was strict and we were late and got in some trouble, any car problems, my responsibility! and i didn't do anything lol, but i never forgot the name Gabriel Hijackers! lol.. These are Monroe :) I wouldn't mind at all going back in time, we young, save the cars ect.. Yea i know but had to say it, getting old sucks, PERIOD!!!!!!

I cant really see starting another thread on something ive discussed with my wife, who by the way loves the cars and stuff but really could care less about somethings, like what i don't need now lol, I mostly hear of the Flowmaster exhaust, I am so far away from this as can be but i find myself thinking about all kinds of things, research and write it down, even working on things i have no need of now, like a console ect.. Im just curious and without doing a poll wouldn't mind what you all think, the ones who have them anyway.. Flowmaster verses Dynomax! I did think about doing a poll but what the heck, im to far away from needing any right now but i cant help especially some nights to check on this kind of stuff, gives me ideas, and is fun, depending on what im doing.... And the wife already said im nuts so.... ill have my enjoyment one way or the OTHER and i cant help but think about all this stuff... I hear more about Flowmaster then the Dynomax... I figure it will cost "about one grand with the exhaust, lots of money and i do think important, maybe i should have waited but i cant see the harm in asking why one is good compared to the other, im not going to believe im the only one early in there car resto wondering what kind of system they may want... I think of all this other stuff, my dash and just about all of it lol, Butterscotch body color, amber LED lights sound good with white faced gauges :)
Everything cost so much, its nice to have some kind of plan, Torque thrust or classic Keystones! Thats a tuff one!! Love the project, plans are a must, and fun with winter nights! thanks!!!

Ron where you located? I put Cal Tracs in my car and if you want the leaf springs that were in her you could have them. PS I had Hi Jackers on my first RR ;0)

I'm in the same boat, long ways from hitting the road, but I'm going to go with Dynomax. A friend has them on his 68 camero with a 396 and they sound good. I've only heard Flowmasters on late model mustangs and a local " show pony" chevelle and would rather go old school glass packs if they were the only choice.

Yes my neighborhood needs me to get this Satellite finished!

I cant really see starting another thread on something ive discussed with my wife, who by the way loves the cars and stuff but really could care less about somethings, like what i don't need now lol, I mostly hear of the Flowmaster exhaust, I am so far away from this as can be but i find myself thinking about all kinds of things, research and write it down, even working on things i have no need of now, like a console ect.. Im just curious and without doing a poll wouldn't mind what you all think, the ones who have them anyway.. Flowmaster verses Dynomax! I did think about doing a poll but what the heck, im to far away from needing any right now but i cant help especially some nights to check on this kind of stuff, gives me ideas, and is fun, depending on what im doing.... And the wife already said im nuts so.... ill have my enjoyment one way or the OTHER and i cant help but think about all this stuff... I hear more about Flowmaster then the Dynomax... I figure it will cost "about one grand with the exhaust, lots of money and i do think important, maybe i should have waited but i cant see the harm in asking why one is good compared to the other, im not going to believe im the only one early in there car resto wondering what kind of system they may want... I think of all this other stuff, my dash and just about all of it lol, Butterscotch body color, amber LED lights sound good with white faced gauges :)
Everything cost so much, its nice to have some kind of plan, Torque thrust or classic Keystones! Thats a tuff one!! Love the project, plans are a must, and fun with winter nights! thanks!!!
I'mwith ya Ron! I am always thinkung about the options to which way I can go with my car. My wife gets tired of me trying t pick a color, in her words " you arent even that far yet, you got a long time till you get to that decision".....she just dont understand ,lol anywho, thanks for your thread,keep up the good work, cool to see another mopar brought back to it's glory! M ove O ver P eople A re R acing

Hey Ron, its great to see you making so much progress and it looks like you're doing top notch work! I'm excited for you and not at all surprised to see such perseverance in everything you do. Keep up the good work.
I got your message and will email you soon.

did you see the shock x-member on the one I'm doing? its so beefy I couldn't bear to change it.lol.

I think that you are doing a great job. I don't think that you need to replace your firewall. Just keep doing what you are doing, Great Work.

Work's looking good Ron, and I sure wouldn't worry about achieving no monumental pace. Take your time, do it right and you & the little one have fun bringing that Plymouth back........People seem to forget, but that's what it's all about.

As far as the air shocks, I wouldn't put them in. They're not meant to compensate or support anything. They're designed as compression and rebound dampeners for your rear suspension. Your rear shock crossmember is only designed for a standard gas/oil shock, that is acting as a dampener, not a support. IMO, I think the shock crossmember is pretty flimsy to begin with. This is a pic from not too long ago here on FBBO of an air shock system that was sitting in a mopar.....notice the gaping crack in the crossmember, and not at the mount holes?

View attachment 234299

Sorry to try and sway you away from your intended plans, but I'd really hate to see you waste your time & money on something that will degrade the handling, ride quality and structural integrity of your car. If you can just hold off and manage to stuff $200-300 in the piggy bank, you'd have enough to get yourself brand new springs and a decent set of gas/oil shocks. Or take '69 GTX up on his gracious offer! Very Nice of him!

For your Flowmaster vs. Dynomax poll... The Coronet has Flowmaster 40's as well as my truck. My Roadrunner has Dynomax Turbo mufflers. The flowmasters are aggressive, they always growl. When hitting the throttle they're real loud and take on a raspy sound, almost like a glasspack. The Dynomax at lower rpm are not as throaty, but have more of a low bass like thump. Opening them up have more of a race car roar, not nearly as raspy as a flowmaster...but never the less a ripping the pavement in half roar. Myself, the flowmasters sound pretty neat just idling. Hitting the gas, to me it sounds like your using the mufflers just to make noise. IMO, All around the dynomax is a much better sound. Cool as a cucumber at idle, hit the throttle and it sounds like the green flag at Bristol.

Auto Transport Service
Back