• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Project Rat Rod V code 70 Charger R/T is about to begin.

I have the 3.54 Dana 60 rear axle, new R/T leaf springs, new U bolts with hardware,new rear sway bar, and a Right Stuff rear wheel disc brake kit. The new shakles were already on the car because the car had aftermarket adjustable rear shakles on it and my friend wanted them for his 71 Daytona racecar. My old shakels have gone 208 MPH! For the front end of the car I have a polyurethane front end rebuild kit,new rotors pads,hoses,calipers,and hardware. Some of the boxes got wet,so a few of the pieces are going to need to go in the glass bead cabinet, but no damage,just cosmetic. They will clean right up. I will be able to remove the 8 3/4axle,the goofy traction bars,shock extensions, and the forementioned adjustable shackles.
20191129_144832.jpg
20191129_144841.jpg
20191129_144914.jpg

When I lost my mind, and decided to put this car together and drive it,I figured that I could put the car together for a few grand and make it roadworthy, and I am quickly learning that it is going to take 5 to 7 grand, not counting the car,the engine, and all the parts I already have. Doing the math on what the car stands me,the value of the parts I already have, and the parts I need to put it together, it will be a thirty grand adventure, when it is a running driving car, without any body or paint work,and chrome bright work. Another member is taking a fairly solid 68 Charger roller, and said that he can put it together for ten grand, and when he said it,I called BS on that. I can tell you that I will have 15 grand just in parts total,starting with a solid California Charger R / T V code car. Not trying to rain on his or anyone else's parade,but the numbers are coming in as I start rounding up the parts. I am looking forward to driving the car, and as I said earlier in the thread, this driveline will be going in the other car at some point, but the Dana rear axle, springs and rear disc brakes can stay in this car,as I have another Dana 60 rear axle I can use in the other car,and I will buy new springs and another disc brake kit for the other car. As I round up the parts,I am looking forward to tearing into the car when the weather permits!

I went up in the loft looking for some parts for the project. I like a go wing on a 70 Charger,so I had a brand new First Place go wing in the box with 70 Charger underside brackets. I don't want to drill holes in the original trunklid,so I had another lid that is already drilled for a wing,so I will store the original lid to put the car back to stock form. I found a pair of painted racing mirrors too. I also found a pair of rubber bumpstops,and a new adjustable pinion snubber for a Dana 60 axle.

Looking like your having more fun as a beater than you would as a ‘trailer slave’. I’d say Fenderwell headers and a blower to make it rock!

Today I am working on the brake calipers, master cylinder, and the U bolts. They got some surface rust on them while sitting and waiting for the project to get started. I cleaned up the parts,etch primed them,and painted them with cast blast paint.
20191209_102726.jpg
20191209_102731.jpg
20191209_102837.jpg

Also I started working on the seat pieces. I got the seatbacks Saturday from an FBBO member, and the cast pieces for the hinges are blasted,and all pieces are given a coat of Herbs burnt orange interior paint.
20191209_112720.jpg
20191209_112727.jpg

20191209_102646.jpg
20191209_102638.jpg
20191209_112713.jpg
I had a burnt orange 4 speed B body console up in the loft. I picked it up at Carlisle about 12 years ago. When I bought it,there were no reproduction consoles,and 4 speed consoles were rare as hens teeth! Especially in other colors besides black or green. It's not perfect, but it will be good enough for a driver. I gave it a light dusting of the burnt orange interior paint, so it matches the rest of the interior pieces. The chrome pieces cleaned up pretty well, especially the drivers side chrome molding which are usually missing or rusted.
20191209_102638.jpg
20191209_112707.jpg

I have a new 4 speed console top,but I guess the wood grain couldn't handle the heat up in the loft.
20191209_115925.jpg

The new Sixpack carbs came in today, thanks to another great FBBO member! I already have the 70 cast iron Sixpack intake manifold. The original to the car Sixpack intake and original carbs are still on the original matching numbers engine. This setup with the cast iron intake,and these new carbs,will stay on the 68 440 that is going in the car for now, and will eventually get put in the purple 70 Charger R / T.
20191210_164103.jpg
20191210_164218.jpg
20191210_164339.jpg
20191210_164500.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back