• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Project Rat Rod V code 70 Charger R/T is about to begin.

I still need two more sets of them for my other Chargers. I have another ratty set with the moldings on them. I am hoping to find one more set of ratty ones with the moldings. The reproduction woodgrain door panels are $560 for a set from Legendary interiors,so I feel like I really scored getting this set for $60 bucks! It takes almost a year right now to get anything from Legendary interiors these days! I ordered two sets of 71 Charger front and rear seat covers from them through Dante's last October, and I don't have them yet! I had to pay in full, up front to get them to even make them for me! $1800 is a lot of cash to have out there with no parts in sight!

That’s why I didn’t recover the seats in my GTX, I bought a pair of Córdoba seats for $120, bought seat covers from Walmart for $20. And for the backseat, I threw a $15 blanket over it.
:rofl:

53CE360A-5B37-46B6-9924-7F401EEC954C.jpeg

Today I found and installed the unobtainium moldings on the door panels. All that is left to do is buy and install the Charger scripts on them and install. I have to do some surgery to the lower interior doors because someone cut into the metal to put speakers in and it is on the area of the doors that are painted to match the interior below where the door panels mount.

20220720_070804.jpg

20220720_070807.jpg

20220720_075312.jpg

That’s why I didn’t recover the seats in my GTX, I bought a pair of Córdoba seats for $120, bought seat covers from Walmart for $20. And for the backseat, I threw a $15 blanket over it.
:rofl:

View attachment 1315490
I hear you man! It costs a fuckton of money to do these cars,even just getting them to be decent driver level cars! This car deserves better than I am giving it,but it will run and drive safely and be mechanically sound for the first time in 40 years! I have a total of $85 in the door panels,with the unobtainium moldings and the dye,and the cost $560 new without the moldings. I am very pleased with them.

Looking good. Lot of time and effort. Build it like you want it. Checking out the car still in primer I see. What color are you going to paint it? It takes more time to restore these old cars than we expect when starting out on the project. Good luck and keep up the work. Keep us up on the build. Hear is a pic. of mine when in body resto process. No it is a runner. LOL.
IMG_0101.JPG

Last edited:
I hear you man! It costs a fuckton of money to do these cars,even just getting them to be decent driver level cars! This car deserves better than I am giving it,but it will run and drive safely and be mechanically sound for the first time in 40 years! I have a total of $85 in the door panels,with the unobtainium moldings and the dye,and the cost $560 new without the moldings. I am very pleased with them.
In my opinion, it’s not how nice you make it look. Getting it driving. And driving it is the best thing for these cars. They weren’t originally built to rot in someone’s back yard, they weren’t meant to collect dust or rot in a garage. I’ve quoted David Freiberger many times, “don’t get it right, get it running.”
:thumbsup:

Looking good. Lot of time and effort. Build it like you want it. Checking out the car still in primer I see. What color are you going to paint it? It takes more time to restore these old cars than we expect when starting out on the project. Good luck and keep up the work. Keep us up on the build. Hear is a pic. of mine when in body resto process. No it is a runner. LOL.
The car was originally EW1 white with a green interior and the green longitudinal double pinstripes that go around the R/T door scoops. The guy I purchased the car from had another white V code Charger R/T that was burnt orange inside, so he rounded up all the necessary pieces,and bought new burnt orange seat covers and carpet for the car. So I am doing the car EW1 white with the burnt orange interior and side stripes. I spent my formative years in the back seat of a 70 Charger R/T SE that was triple F8 Green,it was our family car from 1970 until 1982,so I have seen more than my fair share of green interior and welcome the change to burnt orange interior! The Road Runner looks like it is coming along great,this Charger being from California doesn't need much metal work, but to do the car right it needs both rear quarters and the rear valance and corners replaced. I have NOS rear quarters for the car and a rear valance and corners for it too,but for now I am going to just get it running and driving. Maybe after I retire I will pull it apart and hang the panels and paint the car.

Last edited:
My parents Charger was an R/T SE and I always loved the upscale interior in that car. Those Charger door panels with the map pockets will fit on a Road Runner too.

Those Charger door panels with the map pockets will fit on a Road Runner too.
SILENCE!
You source of TEMPTATION!
:lol:
I do have to "tidy up" the appearance of my door panels, and if I didn't have my custom center console with the little storage area, those "map" pockets would be very handy, and they sure do "dress up" the interior!
BUT
I'm going for more of a Drag Strip and Boulevard Bruiser theme, so more on the Spartan side of the Spartan vs SE/GTX/Dressed Up side. All they need are a few missing fasteners, some cleaning and "Armor All" and the black metal cleaned and repainted.
My best friend and MOPAR brother bought a 70 Roadrunner 383 factory buckets and Pistol Grip 4 speed w/N96 around ~1979 from a guy I knew from the "street race/show/cruise scene" He put brushed sheet aluminum in for door panels and we all liked it, but I will probably just stick with what I have.
Thanks

Temptation has never been a strong point of mine! Lol, That's how I ended up with twenty six Mopars that all need work done on them!

Today the car got it's exhaust system,clutch dust cover,and new modern hi torque mini starter! Pictures tomorrow!

Auto Transport Service
Back