• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Project Rat Rod V code 70 Charger R/T is about to begin.

How much space do you leave between the pinion snubber and the body?
The snubber adjustment depends on how you want to drive the car. On the lower setting it is more effective than the stock snubber, but will still allow some wheelspin. On the upper setting it's much more effective as a traction device, it allows the leaf springs to wind up just enough to prevent wheels hop.
When I installed Mancini's top of the line pinion snubber on my Dana 60 in my 70 Roadrunner, there wasn't much room even with the vertical threaded snubber screwed all the way down (as short as it gets). That may be one indication of what I suspect are worn out factory original HP leaf springs. Then the horizontal component of the snubber bracket bent on the first run, and again on the 2nd run to where I had to remove it.
That made me think that the springs were shot. Unfortunately my friends I had with me at the track were too incompetent to shoot a video, but worn out springs seem to make sense.
Regardless, I already bought Calvert split mono leaf springs and Assassin traction bars, and I'm looking forward to seeing how that works.

When I installed Mancini's top of the line pinion snubber on my Dana 60 in my 70 Roadrunner, there wasn't much room even with the vertical threaded snubber screwed all the way down (as short as it gets). That may be one indication of what I suspect are worn out factory original HP leaf springs. Then the horizontal component of the snubber bracket bent on the first run, and again on the 2nd run to where I had to remove it.
That made me think that the springs were shot. Unfortunately my friends I had with me at the track were too incompetent to shoot a video, but worn out springs seem to make sense.
Regardless, I already bought Calvert split mono leaf springs and Assassin traction bars, and I'm looking forward to seeing how that works.
I am dealing with some wheel hop in my 70 Duster. 3 sets of new springs all did it. I believe A bodies are more problematic in that area than b bodies. Was thinking of trying an adjustable snubber. From the way you are talking maybe the standard square Mopar style would be better than the round one from Mancini?

From the way you are talking maybe the standard square Mopar style would be better than the round one from Mancini?
Well I think the round one is better made, and certainly more precise in adjustments, BUT my best friend used the square one with holes and a pin for "preset" adjustment heights, and he had no problems.

8 3/4 equipped cars have much smaller bumpstops that come to a point, where the factory Dana 60 rear axle have much beefier rounded bumpstops. So I swapped out the 8 3/4 bumpstops for the correct Dana 60 bumpstops. All 68 to 70 b body cars that came with a Dana 60 rear axle had the heavier duty bumpstops, but there is an exception to the rule, as 68 to 70 b body convertibles also had the heavier duty bumpstops as well reguardless of what rear axle the car was equipped with.
That is an interesting bit of info. I didn't know that. I wonder why they used different parts? The axle is mounted in the same place, the range of travel is the same. Are the axle tubes the same diameter?
Anyone care to guess why they used different bump stops ?

Convertibles got the same torque boxes and bumpstops as a Hemi 4 speed B body. My guess is that the larger bumpstops may have been installed because of the folding top with a glass rear window is stowed away right above the rear axle,when the top is down.

That is an interesting bit of info. I didn't know that. I wonder why they used different parts? The axle is mounted in the same place, the range of travel is the same. Are the axle tubes the same diameter?
Anyone care to guess why they used different bump stops ?

I would guess that the engineers believed that cars equipped with the Dana 60 rear axle were more likely to be driven hard by their owners. I am also guessing they found that out from the factory sponsored race teams,or at the proving ground.

I'm guessing the Dana tubes are larger diameter.
I have one of each in my garage, so had to go measure them out of curiosity's sake. Both the 8 3/4 and the Dana have 3 inch od tubes.

While the axle tubes are the same size on both rear axles, the center section is much larger,which may also account for the larger bumpstops, to prevent the center section from contacting the body,due to hard acceleration, or driving over obstacles. I just installed the Dana 60 in place of the 8 3 / 4 axle in the 70 Charger R / T, and they take the same shock mounting plates and U bolts.

So I got a text from a friend of mine, asking me if the car is still for sale, so I tell him that I started putting the car together and plan on driving it this year. So he tells me that a friend of his is interested in buying the car, and if I wanted to let the car go what would it take to buy the car. So I give him the prices depending on what parts that he wanted to go with the car. He says send me some pictures and I will get back to you. That was last Thursday. I have not heard back from him as of yet, so my plan is to continue with the build unless they show up with cash. I am not getting my hopes up, nor will I be disappointed if they don't want to buy the car. If they do buy the car,the guy said he would build the car back to the original way it was built from the factory, so he doesn't want the Dana 60 rear axle that I just installed, and I would have to put the original 8 3 / 4 axle back in the car. Not a big deal. If he does buy the car,I will put the Dana 60 in the Charger that is next to this one and continue the build on that car. That car is an original 70 Charger R / T Plum Crazy Purple car. The plan for the car is to build an accurate replica of the contraversal 70 Charger R / T SE sunroof Daytona Charger 440 Sixpack 4 speed car. I have to graft in a sunroof to accomplish this build. I have and original sunroof from a Charger, but it needs some work to repair rust and make it functional, a complete working crank sunroof from a 73 Charger, and a complete sunroof from an 80s Volvo wagon which is the right demensions front to back,but two inches narrower than the factory sunroof. I am leaning towards using the Volvo setup, as it functions perfectly, and parts are easily available. It's not like there are a lot of factory sunfoof cars around to compare it to. So time will tell which Charger will be getting built, but until I see otherwise I will be continuing on the white car.

He could have messaged you back and said I need a few days, thanks but going to need to pass on it....etc....etc

I expect that I will be hearing from him soon. Either way, I am ok. The upside would be that I have one less project car to build, and the cash. The other upside is that I still have the V code Charger. There's no real downside here!

If you do sell and have to swap rear ends, I could use those big Dana axle bumpers seeing as how you reminded me that is what I should have on my car.

I will most likely be putting the whole setup in the other car,if the guy buys the white car. I don't know if anyone reproduces them,or if originals are still available. If not B body convertibles all have them as well.

The guy who wanted to see the car came to look at it today. He was supposed to come and look at it last weekend, but had to cancel because his kid was sick. Well he likes the car and tentitively agreed to my number. So it looks like this thread may be coming to a close. He doesn't want the Dana 60 rear axle, so I have to put the original 8 3 / 4 axle back in the car. If the deal goes through, I will start a new build thread on the Charger next to the white car in the photos. This 70 Charger R / T is also a California car, and the plan is to build a replica of the purple 70 Charger R / T SE sunroof Daytona. The car will have a 440 Sixpack, 4 speed, and the same Dana 60 rear axle that will be removed from the white car. I will close the thread when the deal is done. If for some reason the deal dosen't happen, then I will continue with the build as planned.

I'll just say that among other wonderful things, the "V" in the VIN in our cars stands for "Valuable"...

The Corona virus outbreak has taken the sale of the Charger off the table, so the project may continue afterall!. So I am drinking lots of Corona to heal my wounds! Oh well!

The Corona virus outbreak has taken the sale of the Charger off the table, so the project may continue afterall!. So I am drinking lots of Corona to heal my wounds! Oh well!
The guy got sick and figured he couldn't finish the car, or just used it as an excuse?

Auto Transport Service
Back