• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Project Rat Rod V code 70 Charger R/T is about to begin.

No doubt,I cant wait to hear it run. This engine is actually slated to go in the other purple 70 Charger R/T that I have. The plan is to put it in the white car until I get the matching numbers engine for the white car rebuilt. I am going to build a replica of the 70 Charger R/T SE Daytona out of the purple car. This picture is of the purple Daytona from early 1970,it still has the temporary license plate on it!
54f8_3.sized.jpg

Last edited:
20200707_195144.jpg
20200707_195130.jpg
I will probably start a build thread on the purple car,once I get further along on it. So far I bought the original plum crazy roller from a friend,who bought it from California. It is a 440 U code ,automatic car. I repaired a small section of the trunk floor,two rear quarters,and the dutch panel. They are fitted to the car,but still need to be welded on. I welded in the 4 speed floor hump in already. I have to change out the firewall,and convert it from an Air Conditioned car,to a standard non AC car. The original 70 Daytona,was a V code car,and AC was not available on a Sixpack car. The biggest thing I have to do is the sunroof conversion,the original Daytona was also a sunroof car. I have a complete correct sunroof assembly,but it is in rough shape and will require a lot of work to make it a functional piece. I also have a complete working sunroof from an eighties Volvo,that is close in size,and could be made to work for the car,and parts are readily available for them. So I have to decide which sunroof assembly to use. I already have a nice cast aluminum reproduction Daytona wing and complete nosecone ready for the car. I have also recovered the seats for the car. I saw a photo of the original car with the drivers side door open,and it had the six way adjustable seat,so I picked one up for it. As I get further along on it,I will start a new thread for that car,but I will be putting this engine in the white car to break it in,and drive the car,and if all goes as planned,I can get the matching numbers engine for the V code car rebuilt,and get the purple car assembled and painted,so when the matching numbers engine is ready for the white car,the engine I am assembling now can go straight into the purple car! We all know how it goes,even the best laid plans can go off the rails! So hopefully I can stick to the plan! Lol Here are a couple of pics of the assembled 6 way seat for the purple car. I used the winter down time to redo many sets of seats.

Last edited:
Well the ole girl turned 50 on Friday! Some 50 years ago this triple carbed monster rolled off the assembly line on the last day of Charger production for the 1970 model year! All of my 70 Chargers are half a century old now!

Last edited:
I was a six year old kid when mom got her 70 Charger R/T SE! It is hard to believe that 50 years have past,and mom passed away in 2016! Missing ya mom!
moms Charger.jpg

Last edited:
Well the ole girl turned 50 on Friday! Some 50 years ago this triple carbed monster rolled off the assembly line on the last day of Charger production for the 1970 model year! All of my 70 Chargers are half a century old now!
:bday:
I was a six year old kid when mom got her 70 Charger R/T SE! It us hard to believe that 50 years have past,and mom passed away in 2016! Missing ya mom!View attachment 974004
Nice post!
:lowdown:R/T+SE

Thanks. I have been trying to put together a Sixpack setup for this engine that I am putting together. The V code Charger R/T has what appears to be the complete original setup that came with the car from the factory. So for the engine that is going into the car temporarily, I have been putting together another setup. I'm about 2 grand in on this adventure. Most of the parts that I have collected came from members on here or from swap meets. I think that I got decent prices for what I bought.
Cast iron 70 dated sixpack intake, $300.00
Three new Holley carbs in boxes. $1400.00
Linkage and fuel lines. $55.00
Air cleaner lid. $125.00
Air cleaner base plate. $200.00
Air cleaner shield, free from a friend
Coil bracket. Still needed
Throttle cable bracket. Still needed
Idle solenoid. Still needed
Filter element. Still needed

Is it possible to put a sixpack setup together these days for under $2500.00?
I used to buy complete running setups for $250.00 back in the day, and ones that needed to be rebuilt for as cheap as a hundred bucks! Those were the days!

Air cleaner base plate. $200.00
Air cleaner shield, free from a friend
Actually I'd like to swap my shielded base plate for a non shielded one, at least I think I should. Since I'm going to be running a hybrid 1970 N96 setup, with the taller than stock K&N air filter (I haven't bought yet) I am pretty sure I should have a non shielded base plate.
I'm a little ways away from doing this, but I am lining up the parts: 'glass hood, "cowl" type hood scoop, etc.
Anyway I don't know if anyone would want to swap my shielded 6bbl base for a non shielded one is my point.
I may possibly even still use the 69½ six pack fresh air setup I have but that isn't likely based on my first look at what it's going to take to have the Weiand P3690982 tunnel ram 6bbl intake work with the N96 Air Grabber.

Year One used to sell a fiberglass version of the A12 air cleaner base plate,if they still offer them,that might work for what you want to do. You could modify it to your liking,without cutting up an original part.

Year One used to sell a fiberglass version of the A12 air cleaner base plate,if they still offer them,that might work for what you want to do. You could modify it to your liking,without cutting up an original part.
I actually bought that very same rectangular base, new rubber hood seal, and filter top cover from a forum member. I put it on the Weiand intake, but I had to swap my factory aluminum 6bbl intake back on because Cristobal was approaching. BOY am I glad I did, because I had to move my car.
I'll figure it out next go around.

The members here on Fbbo have really helped me with rounding up the parts that I need to get the car put back together. As I said in an earlier post, I have been trying to put a sixpack setup together for the car, and thanks to members Mikey Frano,and Moparsaver, I have a complete air cleaner. My friend who bought my former 70 V code Road Runner gave me the shield for the air cleaner that he removed to make it correct for the air grabber setup for the Road Runner, so once I tack it onto the base plate, it will be correct for the Charger. The matching numbers engine has the complete correct air cleaner, on the original sixpack setup, but I want to keep everything for the matching numbers engine with the engine. Once the matching numbers engine is rebuilt and goes back in the car, the engine I am assembling will go into the other Charger R/T as a complete running engine, air cleaner to oil pan. Thanks again to all the members who have helped me out with this project!
20200727_182125.jpg
20200727_182141.jpg

I took the correct power steering pump with the cooler out of the car,and got it degreased,and wire brushed. I straightened out the fine on the cooler. Then I sanded spots as needed, and used prep sol to clean and prepare it for paint.
20200803_130509.jpg
20200803_132823.jpg

I finally got back to doing some work on the Charger. I painted the engine,and I am planing to swap the new one in soon,and get the matching numbers engine on the stand.

20201123_181418.jpg
20201123_181432.jpg
I have not updated the thread on this car, because I have been concentrating on the 70 Road Runner convertible project, but today I found the wheels and tires I want to run on this Charger on Craigslist. I want to run original 5 spoke old school torque thrust wheels on the car,and paint the center spoke area the burnt orange color that I used on the go wing. I wanted to run 295 50 15s on the rear,and that's what tires are on them. I got a sweet deal, less that half of what I priced them out on Summit Racing for, I am stoked about them. Already mounted and balanced too! They came off a sweet 70 Coronet R/T convertible, sublime, with a stout Indy headed 440,and a pistol grip 4 speed! I picked up the paint and some high heat resistant clear for them too, the came with the lugs and caps too. I will get them polished and painted this week!

I got the brushed outer ring polished on two of them, the next step is to mask them off,and prep them for paint.
20201124_093601.jpg

Got them masked off,prepped, painted and clear coated. I am very pleased with the results! Two down, two more to go tomorrow.
20201124_130313.jpg
20201124_160104.jpg
20201124_160333.jpg
20201124_164913.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back