• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Propane grill recommendations

I bought my first Weber Genesis back in 1995 and they still have necessary parts for it today. You call Weber, and their customer service is excellent. It works great and I use it regularly. Your burner tubes, grates, etc will need periodic replacement, but the fact that Weber carries them means I'm good to go for several more years.

Interesting enough, I got a similar "red head" (red box) Weber for free when a neighbor built a cooking island in their backyard. Called Weber and they had all the parts I needed. Our local ACE Hardware carries some too. I guess my point is that (in my own experience) going with a Weber means it can last you decades. And, the fact that I can do every necessary repair/replacement speaks to their simplicity, which is a good thing.

The one thing I wouldn't get on any gas grill is a side burner - too many kids around the yard for that to be safe (again, just my opinion). There are really good outdoors gas stoves for that purpose.

And, they are made in the USA: https://www.weber.com/US/en/made-in-chicago/weber-1909658.html but with components US and globally sourced. So, someone in America still gets a paycheck when you buy one.

I'll give a thumbs up to the Weber Genesis as well. The one in NH is about 17 years old & the other one is well over 10. We've had to replace the burner on one, ignitors, flavor bars on both & the lower grille surfaces. I consider them to be maintenance items anyway. There are people selling the flavor bars & cooking grilles on fleabay that are made out of heavier stainless steel & won't ever need to ever be replaced again.

Negatory on the side burners also.

On a side note, I clean the ashes & grease out of them a couple times a year and we always cover our grilles when not in use, which I believe that has lead to the longevity of them.

When i used to work i would periodically cook for my mechanics. for no particular reason
i used a grill similar to this:
upload_2021-3-24_15-16-4.png

sorry about the snip
from bigjohn grills it worked great and you could cook anything on it54410384963__EF06C8F7-F6BE-4922-8342-B5D5902F89A1 (1).JPG
this pic is 15lbs of bacon and 96 eggs
here is corn and burgers55500368250__A968F921-4B39-43D9-8346-23A4A888F3C9.JPG
the only was it had no lid so we had to keep it in the shop with a makeshift cover over it to keep the crap out of it
i'm to cheap to buy one for myself though 54410384963__EF06C8F7-F6BE-4922-8342-B5D5902F89A1 (1).JPG 55500368250__A968F921-4B39-43D9-8346-23A4A888F3C9.JPG

It seems there are only a few that last... Had a Weber and a Charbroil last the longest about 7 years on each... They sit outside year round uncovered.. Parts for them always seem to force you to buy a new one... I will keep an eye on this thread as I need to get one soon as we are using the smaller one we take camping...

It seems there are only a few that last... Had a Weber and a Charbroil last the longest about 7 years on each... They sit outside year round uncovered.. Parts for them always seem to force you to buy a new one... I will keep an eye on this thread as I need to get one soon as we are using the smaller one we take camping...

See my post at the very top of this page. Mine are outside all year round, but covered. A $30.00 cover every couple of years has made my $800.00 grilles last 17 years & expect they will last me many more..

A9F1D02D-2B4B-443B-B850-E13F1F9EDBC4.jpeg
FAABB67C-7C2A-4BD0-B23A-6B98E2FBE2E5.jpeg
Stopped and checked out the Nexgrill at Home depot. The only ones they had where huge and already rusting in some areas.

- Looked at the Broilmaster at The Fireplace store. These were really nice and made in the USA. Aluminum case, heavy stainless steel grates and burners and I like the ceramic briquets. Only downside was the price, on sale for $1,200. (Reg. $1,500)

Still need to go check out the Weber’s.

Nextgrill is a private label company making grills for everyone. All are cheap junk. Id love to find a us made one to buy

Broilmasters are made in the US.

See my post at the very top of this page. Mine are outside all year round, but covered. A $30.00 cover every couple of years has made my $800.00 grilles last 17 years & expect they will last me many more..
I did and will look into that grille... We grille a lot here and I do clean it but the burners and tubes all seem to rust out... I did cover them years ago maybe have to go back to trying that..

I had a Sears Best 900 that lasted 15 years. Aluminum housing & the Best grill I ever had. Had a Charbroil after that, not bad, got 12 years or so with it. What ever you do, do not buy a (BBQ Pro), biggest piece of **** in the world. From the Chinesium & rotting apart after 1 year!
:cursin:

View attachment 1088173 View attachment 1088174 Stopped and checked out the Nexgrill at Home depot. The only ones they had where huge and already rusting in some areas.

- Looked at the Broilmaster at The Fireplace store. These were really nice and made in the USA. Aluminum case, heavy stainless steel grates and burners and I like the ceramic briquets. Only downside was the price, on sale for $1,200. (Reg. $1,500)

Still need to go check out the Weber’s.
Well they're different Nexgrills then, as there is ZERO plain steel in either of mine. They even come with a fitted cover..
bbq 001.JPG
bbq 006.JPG
bbq 013.JPG
bbq 014.JPG
bbq 019.JPG
summer2017 179.JPG
summer2017 180.JPG

Weber. I hate Weber grilles. They last so long, they look like crap while they still work like a charm. {sarcasm intended }

I went to Home Depot today and scoped out the Weber Spirit series. I think I'll pull the trigger on one of those. They look heavy built with some nice features. They do carry replacement parts and accessories as well. Looks like a pretty good warranty. You probably have to contact Weber to get items covered because Home Depot is just a reseller.
WARRANTY
SPIRIT GAS GRILL WARRANTY

Cookbox 10 years, no rust through/burn through (2 years paint excluding fading or discoloration)
Lid assembly 10 years, no rust through/burn through (2 years paint excluding fading or discoloration)
Stainless steel burner tubes 10 years, no rust through/burn through
Stainless steel cooking grates 5 years, no rust through/burn through
Stainless steel Flavorizer bars 5 years, no rust through/burn through
Porcelain-enameled cast iron cooking grates 5 years, no rust through/burn through
All remaining parts 2 years

Weber "Spirit" and "Genesis" are both made in China...as are a lot of their grill parts. The Weber Smokefire is the only grill they currently make completely in the USA.

WEBER
Genesis lasted 28 years, 3 sets of internals like RC said - all replaceable and readibly available everywhere. Always outside sometimes covered, used year round. The frame gave up the ghost last spring, and there was never a question about it's replacement. I would have to get the model # , but no side burner, stainless, about $900 at HD.

Charcoal or just use the gas stove in your house.

I bought a broken wheeled Kenmore from Sears Hardware on "return damaged" in '08 that replaced a rotted Charbroil (?). From the rust away education I was afforded by the old grill, I've been wrapping the "flavor bars" or "drip diverters" or "heat spreaders" or what ever those are above the burners with heavy weight aluminum foil once a year. I also line the drip tray below. It has cut down the rust away significantly IMO. Also makes for easier clean up. We do tend to grill a lot when weather cooperates. When it's cold out the grill cover gets a little stiff and can be a PITA.
For wheels I have HF 4" swivels under it.
Just this past weekend, with my buddy Joe's "let me help ya' out" check in mind and Ace Hardware with a "Weber tax back at checkout" offer, I was looking at the reviews for the Weber Genesis II S-335 and Weber Genesis II E-325
Although the bulk of reviews are positive some previous owners that have "upgraded" to them are disappointed with the stainless grates rusting and the thinning of the porcelain coated cast ones. Complaints on ignition were there as well as customer support. Then there's the price tag and where they are made, I just couldn't pull the trigger on one.

Auto Transport Service
Back