• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Property Tax on vehicles in West Virginia?

New Zealand isn't that far away in the greater scheme of the universe.

Americans are always welcomed here with open arms (unless you're travelling in a nuclear powered warship or submarine which are banned).
ha, Thanks. I have spent a few days in a drunken haze with a Kiwi and a crazy Australian in Alaska. We had a good time. I would like to get your island sometime. I used to travel with a tent on a motorcycle and met some really cool people and never put it together to get to New Zealand or Australia. Those two were crazy and made for some good stories.. thanks for the memories... You might say we hit it off as we were fighting over the same can of pork and beans one minute but then they made sure my glass was always full of beer when we got to the bar..

In OK, you pay a 4.5% excise tax on the purchase price of any vehicle when you first tag/title it. After that, it's just renewing the tag annually, which is on a sliding scale from $94.00 down to $24.00, depending on year. You can get an Antique tag for $99.00 and it's good for ten years, BUT it can't be a regular-use vehicle.

Far as personal property tax, we don't have that nonsense. Kansas and Missouri do. Colorado is freakin' crazy!!!

I am thinking about moving to West Virginia or maybe even Virginia. But have collected all these vehicles, WV says they tax every year on 60% of value. I guess that can add up, especially every year? I just changed my insurance and I have more vehicles than I would like to admit. Fixing to retire and I would like to keep a presence in the mid Atlantic but maybe it just wont be able to happen.

I would like to hear any conversation? I like the South East in general and Louisiana I really like..

Thanks
Don't know about West Virginia but Missouri charges personal property taxes on all vehicles. To get your license you have to show a paid tax receipt. You can sneak by with vehicles not yearly licensed. I got buddies that have cars but not licensed and they don't claim them.

Don't know about West Virginia but Missouri charges personal property taxes on all vehicles. To get your license you have to show a paid tax receipt. You can sneak by with vehicles not yearly licensed. I got buddies that have cars but not licensed and they don't claim them.
Thanks, This is all interesting to me.
I called the tax acessors office in WV and they gave me some numbers on property tax of vehicles and trailers. Vehicles 25 years and older classics/antiques are really not that big a deal apparently as too are utility trailers as they have some flat rate figured out that seems something like $50.00 a year or less depending etc.. Its the modern cars that will kill you, just my four beater cars that are nothing over the top or special or new are $920.00 a year.. so things can and will add up.. So if you had a nice place and they tax you on the legitimaate value as some of WV is getting to be a comuter area of Washington DC so things are high it can get expensive I think..? Oh, tag renewal is $55.00 and yearly inspections are someting like $20.00 and apparently just about everything gets inspected every year. What a nuisance.

Looks like a Grooogle search is in your future. Texas doesn't have a property tax on cars but does charge a yearly registration which is basically a tax......

Minnesota does the same thing, it's a tax according to the state department of revenue.

Current Law: The motor vehicle registration tax is $10 plus 1.25% of the base value for a passenger vehicle, adjusted for depreciation. Vehicles over 10 years old pay a flat tax of $35, which is the minimum tax for all vehicles. The base value is defined as the manufacturer’s suggested retail price including the destination charge. The motor vehicle registration tax excluding the $35 minimum tax can be claimed as an itemized deduction on income tax returns.

Auto Transport Service
Back