• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Proportioning Valve Rear brakes won't bleed.

__Larsson____

Local time
2:56 AM
Reaction score
Never had any issues with bleeding brakes EVER until now when i had to buy a new proportioning valve. Thoes plastic bleeder thingy won't fit, i tried gravity bleed with no luck. I got fluid down to the block, front calipers bleed fine, but no fluid goes through the block to the rear brakes.

prop.jpg

It’s weird how they have the valve on the metering block which only does the front brakes. In an emergency situation the valve is supposed to shut down the leaking side of the system. Front or rear side of the proportioning valve. Not front left or front right. I would check the silver valve and make sure it’s centered and the notch in the piston is in the center. But like I said that doesn’t pertain to front and rear it only works as front left front right on that particular proportion valve.

pull the portion valve and see if it blows air threw all holes. I believe it is stuck in a safe mode meaning it thinks your line has broke and a ball/valve has blocked off the back line. I just went through all of this last month. You might have a bad one.

I have heard the after market ones are hit or miss. You have the 2 piece set up but same ideal

Apparently some of the after market pressure differential valves can block off one side when it is activated. This is totally unnecessary, and quite frankly F-ing stupid. The dual master cyl. is designed to take care of the issue of a leak in one side of the system. That is why they went to the dual masters in the first place.

You will have to remove the switch and get that valve back to the center in order to get fluid to the rear brakes. In your first post,you mentioned that "plastic thingy won't fit". Are you saying you have that plastic tool to thread into the valve in place of the switch? Not sure what you are referring to by it. However, your problem is that plunger that is directly under the switch has moved to one side and needs to be in the middle for fluid to flow. That plastic tool was meant to be inserted in place of the switch holding the plunger in the center until you finish bleeding your brakes. Then remove the tool and re-install the switch.
By the way, your picture in post 12 showing the valve on the left looks correct to me while the one on the right looks different to me. Especially the part you have circled.

I did not use the plastic piece. I blew air in all openings to make sure it was centered and was working correctly.

You will have to remove the switch and get that valve back to the center in order to get fluid to the rear brakes. In your first post,you mentioned that "plastic thingy won't fit". Are you saying you have that plastic tool to thread into the valve in place of the switch? Not sure what you are referring to by it. However, your problem is that plunger that is directly under the switch has moved to one side and needs to be in the middle for fluid to flow. That plastic tool was meant to be inserted in place of the switch holding the plunger in the center until you finish bleeding your brakes. Then remove the tool and re-install the switch.
By the way, your picture in post 12 showing the valve on the left looks correct to me while the one on the right looks different to me. Especially the part you have circled.
Yeah i meant the plastic tool, the valve was in the center. The part inside the cirkel is from the NEW china crap, the valve in the new is 2 parts while the OE is one part. But still dosent get air or fluid trough the block for the rear. I put the OE valve in the NEW block and got air trough the block, but it dosent really fit in the upper part

Never had any issues with bleeding brakes EVER until now when i had to buy a new proportioning valve.
Never had any issues with bleeding brakes EVER until now when i had to buy a new proportioning valve. Thoes plastic bleeder thingy won't fit, i tried gravity bleed with no luck. I got fluid down to the block, front calipers bleed fine, but no fluid goes through the block to the rear brakes.

View attachment 1501076

t, i tried gravity bleed with no luck. I got fluid down to the block, front calipers bleed fine, but no fluid goes through the block to the rear brakes.

View attachment 1501076
I see what you mean about the plastic tool won't fit. I bought one myself to have on hand for next time with the same scenario. I tested it on a couple of used valves I had lying around. Mine is aluminum instead of plastic but it must have a metric thread that is not correct. Not sure what thread it is since I can't get any of my standard or metric dies to fit it. I contacted the seller I bought mine from to see if they have the correct 7/16-20 thread. If I don't get any satisfaction from them, I think I may try to re-thread it. China made so really not surprised. Did you ever get yours bled?

After some research, I found those tools are meant for GM proportion valves. They have a 1/2"-20 thread. Won't work on our Mopars. I ground mine down a little and re-threaded it with a 7/16-20 Die. It now fits in my Mopar valve. Probably a waste of time and money but that is what you will need to do if you want it to work on one of our proportioning valves or distribution block. I have not tried it and not sure it won't leak fluid since there is no seal like the switch has. It should work since the shuttle has an O ring on both sides and shouldn't leak if it is centered.

100_1140.JPG

100_1141.JPG

Last edited:

View attachment 1501076
you left us hanging on ,did you get it fixed?

you left us hanging on ,did you get it fixed?
Sorry! Much going on, nope i sent it back, it was f*cked up, got a used OE one then i could bleed it. BUT! Now the pedal is hard like it dosent let the fluid back. And the EFI got some corrupted files so it runs **** atm XD

Dam sounds like the luck I was having a month ago. Hope it gets better and tackle 1 thing at a time.

Auto Transport Service
Back