• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear brake bleeding

Vanderstel

Local time
1:46 AM
Reaction score
I replaced the drivers rear wheel cylinder and tried to bleed it with a vacuum pump. But I still have air in the line.

I'll try again, but what is this device on the rear axle housing? See arrow...

Does this prevent vacuum bleeding or do I need to use the "pump the brakes and open the bleeder valve" routine?

IMG_7586 copy.jpg

Use the pump the brake and open the bleeder method, start with the right rear. You probably introduced air in the other side with the vacuum bleeder. No need to worry about the front if it's 66 and up.

I guess some air snuck into the other side. I have to replace that cylinder too, so I'll bleed both sides.

Also, I believe there may be a little metal pin on the brake proportioning/hold off valve that needs to be held out while bleeding the rear brakes. Check a factory service manual

I guess some air snuck into the other side. I have to replace that cylinder too, so I'll bleed both sides.
Rear brakes are inter connected, so if replacing the rear brake both sides, do that first , then bleed passenger side first then drivers side ! I usually add a piece of vacuum hose to the bleeder if bleeding by the pedal technique, with the hose in a coke bottle with the end in some brake fluid , watch the fluid in bottle , no bubbles, then your good , go to other side and do the same ! If the car has a dual reservoir, then the rear is complete! Hope this is clear and helpful!

Rear brakes are inter connected, so if replacing the rear brake both sides, do that first , then bleed passenger side first then drivers side ! I usually add a piece of vacuum hose to the bleeder if bleeding by the pedal technique, with the hose in a coke bottle with the end in some brake fluid , watch the fluid in bottle , no bubbles, then your good , go to other side and do the same ! If the car has a dual reservoir, then the rear is complete! Hope this is clear and helpful!
Very clear and to the point. This is the way.

I always loop the bleed tube high and then down. Wheel cylinder pistons pushed fully in, reservoir full and crack the GREASED bleeder screw.

1964dodge440cleanup2023pta 042.jpg

1964dodge440cleanup2023pta 043.jpg

1964dodge440cleanup2023pta 026.jpg

OP hasn't told us what year, front discs? or what not. The only car I've fought with was the Bird, with it's hold off valve and nonsense for disc/drum. Had to get the Wife pumping on that one..
superbirdcleanup20182019 1232.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back