• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Proportioning Valve with stock distribution block

kevin403

Local time
4:54 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Looking for some guidance here. I am sure I read someone somewhere ran the factory distribution block with a proportioning valve inline to the rear. Is this correct?

The factory lines have the rear of the mc plumbed to the front, and the front of the mc plumbed to the back. My wilwoods mc is opposite. When you run the distribution block does it separate the mc front and rear in the block? Or is it just a distribution block and combines the front and rear of the mc to equal pressure to all outlets?

Thx

Not familiar with wilwoods masters. But, that being said...

Drum/drum or disc/drum?? For either brake set-up, the master has to be the right type.
If disc/drum, the master will usually have a larger 'pot', that should feed the disc brakes.

Kinda the same deal on your distribution block. Needs to be the right one, since their different for the brake set-up. If disc brakes up front, yeah the block separates the front, from rear. If you have drums all around, think most of those blocks are open flow...no separation.

Thx Miller,

It is a 4 wheel drum distribution block. So, I figured the pressure would be equal for all 4 corners. That being said, there really was no point with a single or dual reservoir mc?

I should be able to just put the prop valve to the main line that runs to the rear. Oh well, worst thing I will have to re bend all my lines.

It sounds like you have a dual master cylinder. For both disc/drum and drum/drum systems the purpose is to keep the front and rear circuits separated (or diagonally side to side),mandated by law in 1967 as a safety feature. So if one side fails (due to loss of fluid pressure), the other side continues to work. The 4 wheel distribution block keeps the front and rear circuits separate, but has a switch which turns on the instrument panel warning light (that is what the connector is to) if one side fails. You need to put the prop valve on the main line to the rear, but only if you have front discs/rear drums.

It sounds like you have a dual master cylinder. For both disc/drum and drum/drum systems the purpose is to keep the front and rear circuits separated (or diagonally side to side),mandated by law in 1967 as a safety feature. So if one side fails (due to loss of fluid pressure), the other side continues to work. The 4 wheel distribution block keeps the front and rear circuits separate, but has a switch which turns on the instrument panel warning light (that is what the connector is to) if one side fails. You need to put the prop valve on the main line to the rear, but only if you have front discs/rear drums.

Yes, I have the wilwood 260-8556P master cylinder. to keep the lines neat and tidy, I wanted to keep the lines going to the distribution block. I am running 4 wheel disc now. I am looking for confirmation that the distribution block is okay to run with the proportioning valve inline to the rear.

Thanks

Only thing I could suggest, is check with wilwood, since it's their MC, and see if they recommend a certain distribution block type. Then compare your's with it. Might also get into a later SM, that sports info on all disc set-up. That would show data on the type block used. Too many differences, year to year, for 'one size fit's all', on brake systems.

Don't know particulars on all disc. Good luck on it!

image.jpg

image.jpg

So I plumbed in my proportioning valve. I have the front half of my mc going into the top of my distribution block. The rear of the mc is plumbed into the proportioning valve then into the bottom front half of the distribution block and exiting out the bottom rear of the block.

Bottom line is if it all works. Great to make the things go, real great to be able to stop!

From here all looks good. Your distribution block looks like the same one I have on my disc/drum conversion. It has separate lines going to each front, right? One to the rear.

Some of the later brake set-ups (disc/disc) mounted up various valves in the system for safety add-ons. But, just more junk to leak, or go bad.

Should work for you.

That's exactly the block I have. 2 lines to the front (left-right) and one to the back. I am thinking that the block is like a tee fitting for the front (fluid entering the top and bullheads the fluid to the left/right) and the bottom rear is like a coupler (in/out). This being said with the exception of the safety of the distribution block.

While on the same topic... The rear fitting which is located on the rear diff vent. If I eliminate that ( Y fitting ?) and install a Tee. I should be fine? I don't have the space now and only can fit a short stub for the vent.

image.jpg

Heck! No wonder it won't work...vents on the bottom!! Hehe, or the pic, or housing is up-side-down.

Be kind of a pain to move the vent, but that's one option. Just the way that block is designed, and mounted. No reason a tee wouldn't work for the brake lines. But...on the vent, might need to add a spacer, so it has something to tighten down against. It takes the two copper 'seals' on top/bottom of the block, right?

Auto Transport Service
Back