• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pros and Cons of AC in 71 Charger

Pro: Cool air
Con: Clutter under the hood.
Question: you will go with an increased capacity radiator too?

Me: Too much hassle. The pro doesn't outweigh the con. Also, I don't like air conditioning systems in old cars.

Thanks for your comment. You offer some very good points. I plan on going with a heavy duty radiator. My uncle says the same thing about AC systems being too much clutter.

I am in South Carolina so AC is a must in my cars. Both are original AC cars so restoring the interior parts and using all aftermarket under the hood is how I did it. Plenty of room to work with the small compressors.

Sounds like an impressive car you got there. I wish I could go all aftermarket, but I do not have the budget for it. Good to know that you think AC's are a must for a hot environment. Thank you

I put ac in my 71 Charger non factory ac car. Mine is a small block but I would not hesitate in doing it again. The inside looks like factory ac but that's it. I used vintage air.

Nice! I did not know that vintage air made a system for our 71 Chargers. Good to know if I ever decide on aftermarket in the future. Thanks for the reply.

Back then AC was never an option on the high end super cars, as they called them. RPM and HP rob were the main reasons.

If I were to add it, I’d go with the modern compact R134 systems out there.

Factory RV2 system with 134a. Blows 45 degrees.

Sure helps combat the stifling 99% humidity in FL.

Stock 318 in a 3700# car can barely feel it, but does drag the RPMs down.
I'm working on adding a compensation solenoid.

Good move to get all the AC pulleys and brackets together, as matching pulleys from different years and AC/no AC cars is called "pulley hell".

1980's trucks and 5th avenue's had sanden compressors and mounts.

Thanks for the helpful reply. I am hoping that my 440 will have enough power to combat the AC system working. I agree about the pulleys and brackets. It can be very challenging to source all of those pieces separately.

I am in Georgia, but a/c isn't a must have for me:D. My '70 Charger 383, 4 speed didn't come from the factory with a/c of course, but it had dealership-installed a/c. I removed the knee-capping unit from under the dash along with all the a/c crap in the engine bay. It isn't going back in the car. I still have the removed a/c stuff...taking up space in my garage:rolleyes:.

Oh yeah, my Charger has factory power windows:). That's the only convenience I need. :D

Nice story! I am glad that you have found a setup that satisfies your needs! Lol

Back then AC was never an option on the high end super cars, as they called them. RPM and HP rob were the main reasons.

If I were to add it, I’d go with the modern compact R134 systems out there.

Thank you for the comment. I will have to look into a modern system and see how much they cost.

Auto Transport Service
Back