• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pros & cons of using bedliner on bottom of car?

hunt2elk

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:28 AM
Reaction score
Here is the point I am at with my 69 RR. Metalwork should be about done and will be getting it sand blasted in a month or so. I have always epoxy primed, base, and cleared the bottoms. And then sprayed Resto Rick's undercoating in the wheel wells. The guy painting the exterior stopped over today and said he has sprayed tintable Raptor upol underneath the last 2 cars he did.
What are you guys thoughts one way or the other? Not a show car and will be driven.
Curious as to where a guy would cut off the bedliner at the front? Really wouldn't want to see any when you open up the hood, but the bottom and outsides of the front rails along with the front wheel wells should be covered, I would think.
Anybody got any pics of how they did it?

20210312_162429.jpg

Last edited:
I've used a bed liner/undercoat material on the bottom of a few trucks I've worked on, but they were bolted to painted frames and it looked really nice that way

While not being 100% factory correct, my GTX had Wurth Body Schutz sprayed underneath from inside the sill right across, and from the rear panel forward to the seam between the floor-pan and rear of engine.

upload_2021-3-13_11-46-44.png

upload_2021-3-13_11-47-25.png

upload_2021-3-13_11-48-49.png

upload_2021-3-13_11-49-41.png

The Body Schutz was then sprayed with several coats of Mat Clear to make underbody clean-up a lot easier.
upload_2021-3-13_11-50-47.png

I bought a car with Berliner under it. I HATE it. It’s like sandpaper, cuts and scuffs you’re skin when you work around it. And it doesn’t look right either.

think about it, it’s a tough anti slip coating for a truck bed. It has no place under a classic car. Maybe an off-road vehicle would be better.

I don’t know how this lazy *** Shortcut method got going on classic cars. Must be lazy body men using up what they have sitting around the shop

I like undercoating if you need something like that.

I wouldn’t recommend it on any old car. I also know it can rust under it as well so prep is beyond key.. Also need something to really seal the metal and those tintable spray in liners have a habit of fading out.. if you would like I’ll show you the tailgate of my ram! It’s a SEM brand spray in we did years ago.

I’ve used various similar products on various things for the govt over the years. Like others have said, if you get the stuff that uses the grit to catalyze it you’re stuck with a sandpaper like coating. You can get a smoother product but I don’t know the brand name. I’ll probably use that just on my inner rear wheel houses, but I don’t know yet.
But here’s the thing that worries me with these products: surface prep is key to getting good adhesion. Good surface prep, over the ENTIRE surface. If some of it doesn’t bond it can peel off in sheets, making a hell of a mess. Especially if you then try to clean off the remaining bonded product.

I like the look of both a slick underside and a coated underside. If you are going to be driving it why not use something that is chip resistant. I did my wheel wells and left them black (U-Pol Raptor).

I agree with three wood .,...did my whole 68 roadrunner with the bedliner bottom and trunk floor and inside cabin.....much cheaper than paint .....I feel is very durable and looks good tinted body color or black

Years ago we built a Cuda and had the underside done in Sub-Lime bed liner. It is very durable and permanent. Gave the metal a real solid sound.
I don't know if I would recommend it though. Kind of a personal preference.

DCP_6152.jpg DCP_6156.jpg

How does this car NOT fall off? Are those yellow arms magnetic?

beerestoration2018-504-jpg.jpg

After prep I used POR15. Just turned 10K on the resto. Living on a gravel road and crapola local streets and its held up well. Simple Green and a car wash gets most of it. Got to drive them.

I realize this is the extreme but.....it does come off. This was on a 1963 Dodge 440 that I bought, this car came out of Texas.....

P1010012.JPG Engine compartment.JPG P1010009.JPG Master cylinder.JPG !CDUPEvQBWk~$(KGrHqV,!ikE0HVF-!8BBNOI)Ce55!~~_12.jpg Painted engine compartment.JPG Engine installed.JPG Done right front.JPG

Mine was undercoated from the factory so it was an easy decision to mimic that look. I cut it off almost strait down from the firewall.
100_9298.JPG

100_9299.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back