• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Proving it's a 68 Super Bee

The record's broke the record's broke the record's broke the record's broke the..........

Funny how many people get sucked in to these pointless threads.

Funny how many people get sucked in to these pointless threads.

Didn't start as pointless, seemed like a ligit question. When members come to help and give info and info that was asked for to help wasn't given, the thread then became pointless.
Now adding comments to a dead thread that became pointless is just:blahblah:

In 68 the VIN stamp is usually found on the top of the bell housing area of the block - near the oil pressure sender - and the tranny will have the stamp right on top as well.

ReSUReeeeecTION!!!!!

Wrong rivets. sounds like someone could not get it titled and changed the VIN so it could be titled. Maybe a stolen car?

Yup, so as it was already mentioned before... sounds like the car started life as a real 68 Super Bee and somewhere along the way someone simply removed the windshield and replaced the VIN tag and used the wrong rivets. Why this was done, we'll probably never know. Could have been stolen at one time... could have been a title issue with the Bee numbers... it could have also been something as simple as someone trying to lower their insurance rates by titling the car as a lesser, low performance model. Either way, all reasons to swap out a VIN are illegal and if you were to sell the car it would be a big deal. Either sell the car for parts or just live with it.

Justin

or find a really rusty Bee body with a VIN and title........... oh, nevermind :icon_twisted:

This thread drags on, a stolen car has no statute of limitations. This owner needs to dig for the truth before it is to late as in spend money on a stolen car and it is your loss if the police ever recover the vehicle. Stolen is stolen forever and people on occasion get back cars stolen even 20 years later... If you think the VIN is anything other than correct on a car it is STOLEN !

I believe the VIN was changed. Everything else hardware matches a bee. The vin doesn't match the frame serial numbers. Why would the clane a bee and put a coronet 6 cyl vin on it. Thanks for the help

Sorry,
I do not believe you have a Superbee
I mean, you have had the car since the mid 80s
1. Discrepancies with VIN and numbers
2. A 6 cylinder?
3. You have had the car since the mid 80s?
4. People didn't CLONE cars then. Superbee's were cheap in the 80s So why was the engine a 6-cylinder?

PROVE ME WRONG

resureeeeection!!!!!

round rivets. Painted over

welcome back to 2010!!!!

I believe this car was never a Super Bee, but they made a clone back in the 80's when good complete wrecked performance parts cars could be had for a couple hundred bucks.
Odds are they took all the Bee stuff from one and put it on your Coronet. To keep things Kosher when they swapped in the Super Bee dash, they simply reattached the Coronet VIN tag to it. Mystery solved.

It's funny that those that think it's not a Superbee ignore the fact the VIN is obviously not original, and use the vin as the basis of their position. This is why I redsurrected this post. I just learned the rivet clue this week.

I'm going to try and find out if it was stolen, but don't know how since I don't know the real vin. Can the sales order number be cross referenced somehow to where it was sold and go from there? I imagine it's a unique number, so if there's a record somewhere, maybe the original vin could be found then I can contact the police and see. Too bad it isn't a 69 where those six digits match the vin.

The title did say Superbee on it, and matched the vin, but that must've been managed somehow, since the vin doesn't say it is.

Again, if someone knows about tracing sales numbers on a 68 dodge, your help is appreciated.

It's funny that those that think it's not a Superbee ignore the fact the VIN is obviously not original, and use the vin as the basis of their position. This is why I redsurrected this post. I just learned the rivet clue this week.

I'm going to try and find out if it was stolen, but don't know how since I don't know the real vin. Can the sales order number be cross referenced somehow to where it was sold and go from there? I imagine it's a unique number, so if there's a record somewhere, maybe the original vin could be found then I can contact the police and see. Too bad it isn't a 69 where those six digits match the vin.

The title did say Superbee on it, and matched the vin, but that must've been managed somehow, since the vin doesn't say it is.

Again, if someone knows about tracing sales numbers on a 68 dodge, your help is appreciated.

The VIN is the determining factor. Was it born a Bee? We don't know and with this VIN it doesn't matter any more. Any attempts to change THIS VIN only compounds the problem. It's a 'black hole' car. We don't know what it was but we know what it is...and it ain't a Bee 'cause the VIN says it isn't.

RE: Tracing SO number back...theoretically possibly but, practically, impossible. You'd have to find documents, like a window sticker, from the cars on either side of this one and hope they go back to the same dealership. THEN you'd have to hope the dealership is still in business and has documents related to this car.

If the car was a sales bank car...that makes it even harder. The cars with SOs before and after this car could have gone to different dealers. You'd never know where this car went. And without the documents, you'll never know if this was a sales bank car. If you had the document that proved it was a sales bank car, you'd already have the document that tied the SO and VIN together. Catch 22.....

You could post the SO with every registry and on every Board HOPING that someone still has a fender tag or document like a broadcast sheet for the car. The fender tag would prove it's a Bee but would not give you the VIN number. It's possible the broadcast sheet wound up in another car that still exists but you'd have to track every BS from that car's plant and check SO numbers against yours to find the sheet.

My 2 cents.....

Auto Transport Service
Back