• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PST or other torsion bar experts - question

AR67GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:11 AM
Reaction score
This is in reference to my earlier post on my 66 Satellite.

Un-even front end height - 66 Satellite | For B Bodies Only Classic Mopar Forum

May have found the issue with the uneven front height/bar adjustment. I went ahead and pulled both bars back out and it appears the one marked R was on the left side and the one marked L was on the right side. I took a close look at the frame member and bar receivers and they are OK - looks like a new car down there. The hex on both appear to be clocked the same and welds look excellent. The tape in the photos shows the side I found them installed on. I remember reading over the years that switching torsion bars side to side is a good way to ruin them but I haven't any first hand experience with it.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/F1mWxdnjTi2i0iKVhnHLsw.oJh-MT6Tli5Rj4NYCHaahm

So, is it likely these torsion bars are causing my problem and are FUBAR'd and need to be replaced?

These are .92" bars - would going to a .96 bar be a good idea?

Last edited:
Play it safe and toss a new pair in. Besides, you already have them out. Cars and parts don't last forever and do lose ability over time. Just like us humans. As far as bar size it depends on what your intended purpose and desires are. Me, I went with 1.06's from FF on my car. I intend on doing auto-x, track days, fun driving on twisty roads with the occasional drag session. I don't like the mushy ride of the stock bars.

Just my 2 cents - I have the PST 1.03s on my '69 Sport Satellite (440, aluminum intake, no A/C) and the ride is reminiscent of an old mid - late 70's police cruiser. It handles well, but I would prefer a less firm ride. I will be swapping them out for .92s or .96s this summer.

Has anyone seen the .96 torsion bars reasonably priced at any of the usual Mopar parts houses lately? Seems the only place I quickly found them was at Herbs I think but they were out of stock. Classic parts seem to want to obscure the sizes they stock. Best price I found was this place:

2006-2021 Dodge Pkg Bar-Set Torsion B/E Body .960 P5249158 | GetOEMParts.com

But the ad scares me as all the listings are for Dodge Challenger and the like from the past 20 years.

I guess no one's buying torsion bars lately. This is a Hemi car. I would like to use PST for a supplier but the only bar I get that comes up on their website is a 1.03 bar but like 69SportSatellite, I fear that will be too much of an increase. Do they not sell smaller size bars? Guess I need to see if they have a sponsor's section on the forum.

We stopped carrying the .960 bars as our sales on them dropped as the popularity of the 1.03" torsion bars rose and our minimum MOQ with the forged made it not economical. We were selling the 1.03" torsion bars 20 sets to 1 set of .96". We have designed our 1.03 bars with the proper amount of clocking(pre-load) so they will give you a modern ride that is not harsh and have plenty adjustability. If you take sometime and do a forum search you will numerous members that are running them and love them. Just keep in mind a quality set of shocks also dictate a fair amount if ride quality.

Thanks
James From
PST

Idk, but I really like the PST 1.03" bars. Have them on all 3 of my cars along with Bilstein shocks. I personally don't think any of the cars ride rough at all.

Just curious - were .92 bars a factory/stock provide for police/taxi? I need to replace the bars on my '63 Plymouth.

Don't even go there. Jim's is bad...

Bad? I've never dealt with him. Who else offers .92" and .96" t/bars?

Anyone on here able to vouch for the 1.03" PST torsion bars? I don't mind a little firmer and more stable ride but I don't want to get a harsh, pounding over expansion joints ride.

One other factor that goes into the ride is your tires. When I upgraded by torsion bars to Firm Feel's 1.00 inch bars (wheel rate of 175 lb/in), I had BF Goodrich Radial TAs, P225/60R15s on the front and the ride was pretty good, firm but not harsh. When I upgraded the tires to MIchelin Pilot Sport 4S, P245/40R18s on the front, the ride got quite a bit harsher. The lower sidewall on the newer tires is a lot stiffer than on the old ones. On the up side, the new tires are much grippier. You can't really compare torsion bars without looking at the rest of your front suspension package, including the tires. You should also remember that going to a stiffer front torsion bar isn't automatically an upgrade in your car's handling, as a a softer torsion bar will allow the car to stick to the road better. The one place a stiffer torsion bar is definitely an upgrade is if you lower your car to the point that your suspension bottoms out on the bump stop when you hit a bump while cornering. When that happens, you can expect to not stick to the road. As an aside, Firm Feel has 0.94" diameter torsion bars (wheel rate of 142 lb/in). Cheers!

Looks like I'll try the PST bars since the Mopar Performance .96" bars appear to be unobtanium anymore after several hours of searching - except at exorbitant prices as high as $960/pr. I'll hang on to the old .92 bars and consider having them reconditioned if it doesn't work out for me.

Thanks for the comments.

Auto Transport Service
Back