• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulling 4 speed pedals from a 69 RR

bstan69rr

Local time
3:22 AM
Reaction score
Oh boy. I thought this was gonna take about an hour and maybe five or six nuts or bolts, but Ma Mopar really wanted to make sure these things did not fall off.

Can anyone give me some good news, but it looks like I might have to pull the entire dash just to get to all of the nuts holding on the pedal assembly?!?

Is this job reall that hard? I have never had to pull a dash before, and I am not looking forward to it.

Been years since pulling some out but never pulled the dash to do so. Hey, If I can get them out, anybody can! However, didn't have to do anything for the pedals in my 66 Mustang to fall out.....they did it on their own while driving that pos Ford!

Just did one.
Pull the front seats and the steering column.
Take your time and you can access all the fasteners / braces that hold the assembly in.

The seats and steering wheel are out. I am just having trouble getting to all of the 1/2 nuts.

Remove speedometer also and take every part you can, don't assume I don't need that.

Man, I am really hating this right now. I need to use deep wells to get to the nuts, and they are too long to get in there. I was considering grinding the heads from inside the engine bay, but I do not even know if that would help. What I need are slightly longer regular sockets. And now That I think about it, my 1/2 inch sockets might be what I need to try.

I guess I just need someone to listen to my whining while I try to think things through.

Couldn't hurt to just lean the dash down! It should pull away far enough to get the bolts out if you continue to have problems

If it's anything like to 63 to 65 it was a breeze.Removing a three on tree column and installing a modified 64 at column.I will install a removable steering wheel and remive the solid steering shaft and using CM tube,should save a few pounds.

Down to one nut that is connected to the master cylinder. It is not going to come out with the tools I have. I have put penetrating oil on it for 24 hours, heated it up and still, it would not spin without my socket giving way. Then I banged the socket it on with a hammer, to make it seat all the way, and still nothing. The angle in which I am working is a contributing factor.

Here is my question, what if I grinded the stud from the other side--the mounting stud for the master cylinder. If there are threads, I am not sure it would help; however, I believe I remember master cylinder mounts to be flat. Another thing I noticed was that I could not drive out the other studs easily.

I never realized how hard the master cylinder was to take off before this project. For those of you that have taken these cars completely apart, you have my deep admiration. I have always considered myself a car guy, but this is the most I have ever had to work on something. And I know this is nothing compared to what some of y'all have done.

Thanks for all the help. Any other suggestion?

Here is a pic. It is toward the top in the shadow.

74A4EB59-6593-4DB3-B446-28321132878E.jpeg

Used to part cars in the 70's and never had the problems you are having. Is your stuff rusted? Had 3/8" and 1/2" deep well sockets back then but remember thinking having a set of crows foot wrenches might have helped. Been too long since taking any out to be able to tell you exactly what to do though but for me, Mopars have always been easy to work on with GM being the worse. Fords were mainly a pita but much easier than GM stuff. Seems to be Gooberment Motors cars....well, always had black thumbs with them.

Six point deep socket and a universal joint with electrical tape around it to keep it from flopping around and a 12" extension .

It is rusted bad. There was no frame under the floorboard. I am not saying it was bad, I am saying it was gone--completely gone.

It is now stripped. I was getting well seated on the nut. It was just the angle. I was not expecting to be able to put that much force and still strip it out that slowly.

I am on plan b, and I expecting to be going through the alphabet on this bucket of fun.

Woo hoo!!! The pedals are out. I wish I would have started with plan b. I grinded off the top of the master cylinder stud, and that took 5 minutes. Then I tapped the bolt out in about 10 seconds. I wish I would have done this with all six. LOL!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back