• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulling engine and 4 speed finally!!!

Oops. I had two windows open and forgot to hit send on an earlier post. If you look at the picture, I am worried about the pivot hole across from the ball pivot. It looks like it is part of a plate that is welded to the frame. I cannot find this part???

Then I mentioned the part above the I am thinking has nothing to do with the pivot hole acros from the ball pivot.

Sorry to be so confusing.

z-bar.JPG

The bracket pictured appears correct, an original automatic car will not the bracket installed but will have a slot in the frame rail that a tab on the bracket locates it in the correct position, welding required. The outer ball pivot fits in the slot on the bracket, with the pictured washer and nut, after the z-bar is assembled, during its installation.

The outer ball pivot should not be welded to the bracket, if it is, it is not correct.

Last edited:
Wow. Nice pic. I always forget to look for that before asking questions. Uggg!

Just to make sure , I think you meant "no welding required" at the end of your first sentence. Hence the mention of the tab???

DSC00324r.jpg
If you are adding a bracket to a car that does not have one, the bracket is welded to the frame rail, the ball stud is not welded to the bracket.

Wow, that is a nice pic. The only thing I do not see is the part that is circled in my pic.

image.jpg

I can find torque shaft brackets, but they are for automatics.
The torque shaft bracket your talking your talking about is for the column lock? When to mymopar.com and downloaded a 1970 service manual. By the look of it the torque shaft bracket for the column lock is the same manual or auto. There is a separate bracket for the clutch torque shaft in post #4.

Most of the lock out components are the same parts used for column shift automatics, wouldn’t be surprised if the lock out torque shaft is the same as the automatic torque shaft.
BTW, the picture above is from the '70 FSM

I kinda suspected exactly what you said, so I had the chance to take a look at my auto trans car. I did not see this bracket. So, I am wondering if there is a difference between the 69 and 70. I will be looking into it.

Does FSM stand for floor shift model?

And I am going to have to go to mymoparparts and get that service manual copy.

Thanks for all of the help. I really appreciate it.

I kinda suspected exactly what you said, so I had the chance to take a look at my auto trans car. I did not see this bracket. So, I am wondering if there is a difference between the 69 and 70. I will be looking into it.

Does FSM stand for floor shift model?

And I am going to have to go to mymoparparts and get that service manual copy.

Thanks for all of the help. I really appreciate it.
69 didnt have a locking column.

Just remember if useing headers it will be just somthing else to contend with.

Transplanting the ’70 drivetrain into a ’69? Forget about the ’70 lock-out parts & column, not at all necessary.

That is good news, except now I am to a point someone else raised. And I bet this is the small problem but biggest headache of the whole swapping project. What is the best way to get rid of the auto shifter stuff still on the column? My bet is I can take of the arm but have to leave the rest. I am hoping someone has found a really good idea after all these years.

Me again. I downloaded the service manual, and it I cannot open it without a computer. I only have an iPad at the house. Anyway, what is the last step in loosening the steering column for removal? I thought there was a pin on the steering shaft close to the steering box, but I cannot find it.

The column is loose, but the shaft is not releasing from the box.

Auto Transport Service
Back