• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulsating lights

moparcanuck

Deceased, But not forgotton
Local time
5:55 AM
Reaction score
I've been having a serious electrical problem with crackling radio and stalling car. Today, I noticed that the interior lights were pulsating while driving - not stopped. Any suggestions?

Check your grounds and get a meter reading on your alternator.
although, the radio MIGHT be a seperate issue, are you running suppressed or non-supp, plug wires? Are you still running the little condenser on the coil?

Lights tend to pulsate when relying on the alternator, rather than the battery. Even though its all hooked together, the battery has a "smoothing" effect on voltage variations. Could be battery, connections, or grounds at this point. You just have to rule things out. Bad grounds do weird things in DC systems.

I am now able to reproduce the problem. It only happens at very low speed or stopped. I put it in gear with the hand brake on and within 5 minutes, it stalls. Starts right up again. Within a few minutes, it stalls again. I don't believe it's a bad ground. Fusible linkage? Voltage regulator?

Well, you guys were right. I checked the body and firewall grounds and they were pretty rusted. I cleaned them and it seems to have cleared up the problem. Thanks.

Glad you found it! DC is a different animal than AC. Rule of thumb in dealing with DC. If it don't work, check power, if it works weird, check ground.

Auto Transport Service
Back