• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pure Guess?

View attachment 1079675
I'm throwing the dice on this one, that's
for sure. But the builder knew what I was
after, and selected a cam (way back when)
that would keep the running pressures
low enough to keep the engine from
detonating. The two other engines he
built for me, while not 'wild' builds,
they perform very well. Ie....a half block
long burnout in a CJ7 with a 360 and
Quadratrac...the other, a 350 for a stock
car dirt tracker, the latter being a different
horse, he knew my preferences. If the
current build performs as well as those
two, I'm gonna be a happy camper. He
thought I was nuts for building a high
profile 4x4 with a 93" wheelbase. I
appreciate your input, and I'm half-way
inclined to agree with you. But I knew the
builder. (the reason why the grandson let
me have it for $1800) and due to not
knowing what the internals were.

I think you may have missed my point ?
I meant no disrespect to your builder nor his skillsets with a multitude of X brand engines.... just pointing out that back in those days ?
Unless he was a builder enamored with ? and familiar with parts availabilities specifically for BB Mopars.... there is an extremely HIGH probability(over 90% in my experience) he would have fallen for the same "mis-information" published by most all Pistons Manufacturers back then around "replacement" 440 Pistons ?
From Federal Mogul/Speed Pro.... right on down to badger, hastings, etc., etc and on and on...
Almost ALL were publishing "fantasy" Compression Ratios for their 440 Mopar Piston offerings !

We witnessed many very reputable X Brand Builders/Shops throughout the 80's and 90's right up until the earlier 2000's who were still using these erroneously advertised Pistons ?

It wasn't until 1993 that we ourselves drafted a letter and sent it to Federal Mogul Tech making a case on their erroneously Published Piston CR's..... that Federal Mogul then subsequently CHANGED their published Piston data in their catalogues.... and as they then QUOTED FROM OUR LETTER in the Performance catalog ....
"The Pistons haven't changed.... only the Published CR Data to reflect "REAL WORLD Compression ratios".... which WE had put in our letter !

I still have that Letter somewhere on file !

Do as you wish..... and my apologies here.... just don't wonder "why" if it seems very low powered when fired and running/driving ? as it would be the "exception" during those days to have been built any higher than high 7's/low 8's CR let be even close to 9:1 ?

I agree with the possibility that they're lo-pops, but I wouldn't agree that it will be underpowered because of the compression. My '77 .160-in-the-hole motor went 12.10s in a complete 64 Polara.. Would it have gone slightly faster as the ratio went up? Of course it would. But the OP was worried about detonation and fuel, which will most likely be fine with pump gas :thumbsup:

I think you may have missed my point ?
I meant no disrespect to your builder nor his skillsets with a multitude of X brand engines.... just pointing out that back in those days ?
Unless he was a builder enamored with ? and familiar with parts availabilities specifically for BB Mopars.... there is an extremely HIGH probability(over 90% in my experience) he would have fallen for the same "mis-information" published by most all Pistons Manufacturers back then around "replacement" 440 Pistons ?
From Federal Mogul/Speed Pro.... right on down to badger, hastings, etc., etc and on and on...
Almost ALL were publishing "fantasy" Compression Ratios for their 440 Mopar Piston offerings !

We witnessed many very reputable X Brand Builders/Shops throughout the 80's and 90's right up until the earlier 2000's who were still using these erroneously advertised Pistons ?

It wasn't until 1993 that we ourselves drafted a letter and sent it to Federal Mogul Tech making a case on their erroneously Published Piston CR's..... that Federal Mogul then subsequently CHANGED their published Piston data in their catalogues.... and as they then QUOTED FROM OUR LETTER in the Performance catalog ....
"The Pistons haven't changed.... only the Published CR Data to reflect "REAL WORLD Compression ratios".... which WE had put in our letter !

I still have that Letter somewhere on file !

Do as you wish..... and my apologies here.... just don't wonder "why" if it seems very low powered when fired and running/driving ? as it would be the "exception" during those days to have been built any higher than high 7's/low 8's CR let be even close to 9:1 ?
I take no offense Challenger.
The builder assembled literally hundreds
of big block Mopars back in the day. 440
blocks where hard to come by due to
high demand in the oil/gas and dairy
industries. It is the preferred engine
for running various types of pumps due
it's down low brute force torque. Even
back then, I'm pretty sure he knew what
it took to wring out certain levels of power
for the given application.
If my engine doesn't hit the magic 9, I'll