• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Purple shaft lifter issues?

67charger383

Local time
3:41 PM
Reaction score
I’ve been trying to buy a solid roller cam for months, everything’s out of stock or on a 6 month back order.

So I was thinking of buying a .590 Purple shaft from Mancini because they are in stock and on sale, but I’ve been hearing of Q/C issues with flat tappet lifters for a while and don’t want to destroy my $5,000+ big block…

So has anyone recently used a purple shaft and done a successful break in? I’m only hesitant because I don’t know if they are recent production or NOS from Mancini.

Mark

Have you tried bullet?
Yes. Guy was kinda rude to me on the phone because I didn’t know exact flow bench numbers for my ported 452 heads. He also told me that it’d be a 8 month wait if I wanted a custom grind. They didn’t have a off the shelf cam that would work right

I thought I remembered seeing some older lifters for sale on here recently?

Gotcha. I've kept 2 sets of 90's nos hydraulics on the shelf cuz of this. No solids tho

Yes. Guy was kinda rude to me on the phone because I didn’t know exact flow bench numbers for my ported 452 heads. He also told me that it’d be a 8 month wait if I wanted a custom grind. They didn’t have a off the shelf cam that would work right
How many cams could they grind in 8 months?!? Or is it a core supply problem..

How many cams could they grind in 8 months?!? Or is it a core supply problem..
Core supply. Also huge back orders from the pandemic. This is happening with every cam company I called. Comp, Howard’s, Bullet, Hughes.

Schneider Racing Cams wouldn’t pick up the phone the multiple times I tried calling them the past month or 2, and Racer Brown Cams (local cam company) is down for the moment because apparently Jim is sick bad

Comp told me a 23-707-9 Solid roller cam would be perfect for my combo, if anyone happens to have one that they’d be willing to sell for not insane money pm me

Not to surprising there is a cam shortage. Dont know how cam grinders are keeping afloat w nothing to grind.... Sounds similiar to what took Ultradyne down. Tim Goolsby at bullet is who we ask for.. You could buy a used roller cam and have it reground. It may work depending on what your after. It's been around 130 plus freight.
Isky has always done things a little different as well,.. you might try them if you hadn't already.

Last edited:
Not to surprising there is a cam shortage. Sounds similiar to what took Ultradyne down. Tim Goolsby at bullet is who we ask for.. You could buy a used roller cam and have it reground. It may work depending on what your after. It's been around 130 plus freight.
Isky has always done things a little different as well... you might try then if you hadn't already.
You can’t buy a used roller cam! It’s impressive

No I didn’t call them. I’d doubt they’d have any cores because they are a mainly Chevy company
They made my buddy a custom roller last year. Put his challenger in the 9s. He's a customer for life.
I'd still try em

Just put a .590 in a 505 with Johnson lifters. No problems at all.

Have you tried Jim at Racer Brown? It's been awhile since I got a cam from him, but it wasn't a bad wait at all.

Have you tried Jim at Racer Brown? It's been awhile since I got a cam from him, but it wasn't a bad wait at all.
Really want a Racer Brown cam, they're local to me. I've heard he's on oxygen from the Covid tho?

Maybe he's back working now? this was a few months ago

Really want a Racer Brown cam, they're local to me. I've heard he's on oxygen from the Covid tho?

Maybe he's back working now? this was a few months ago
Wow, didn't know that.

oldkimmer has a solid roller for sale in our performance parts for sale section..

Auto Transport Service
Back