• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

push button trans

flatheadgary

Local time
11:00 PM
Reaction score
a friend of mine has a '58 hemi in a '56 ford truck and he asked me if you can change it to a floor shift. the trans is the one that came with the hemi. i kind of remember somewhere i heard that you can but i am old so who knows. i suppose he could change the trans to a late model 727 right?

a friend of mine has a '58 hemi in a '56 ford truck and he asked me if you can change it to a floor shift. the trans is the one that came with the hemi. i kind of remember somewhere i heard that you can but i am old so who knows. i suppose he could change the trans to a late model 727 right?
Those older engines had a extended crank flange and studs on the converter. The nuts went on from the front side of the flange. There may be some type of adapter out there that would make a late model bolt up but, I don't recall ever hearing about one (I have forgotten more than I know by this age). I do remember seeing the dash button assy. installed in a fabricated tube arrangement that angled back to the rear (probably exhaust tubing) mounted on the floor.
Mike

Yes, there are adaptors to put a later model TorqueFlight behind the older Hemi. It is basically a spacer that accommodates the increased length of crankshaft of the older engine. You will have to use a small block 727 (same bolt pattern as old Hemi), and an 8-bolt newer 426 Hemi drive plate. If you are going to retain cable shift, you are pretty well limited to a 1965 transmission that came out of a console shifter car. Cables are different for column shift. You are likely better off to go with '68 or newer TorqueFlight for increased converter choice and use an aftermarket floor shifter like a Lokar system. 1971 and up 727 have part-throttle kick-down, a nice feature.
Another option to consider is an overdrive transmission out of early '90's 360 pick up or van. The earlier ones were hydraulically shifted (3 pin connector), while later ones used a computer. These also had lock up converters.

A 64 or 65 floor shifter and cables might work. I'm not familiar with the ends of the early cast iron cables. Both 64 and 65 shift cables differ at the attachment to the valve body. The park cables are the same. if the 58 cables are long enough they may adapt to the later shifter.
Doug

MANY years ago B&M made a chrome box shifter, specifically for pushbutton trans. You can i.d. one by the two cables. Good luck finding one. It would probably be easier to change to a later trans. I believe Hemi-itis uses a shifter tower like Mike describes.

20190207_193537.jpg 20190207_193543.jpg 20190207_193553.jpg

Hot heads hemi in Lowgap,NC has a trans adapter, and flexplate so you can use a small block 727, or even a 904. I think wilcap also has adapters

Auto Transport Service
Back