• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pushing for fab k member/frame rail

o1gnah

Local time
7:20 AM
Reaction score
I’ve been inquiring to this topic for sometime and am nearing completion as my technician nears space to accept my incomplete roller. I purchased my 73’ with bad k member rear mounts. In disassembly had to remove the brackets attached to the frame rail. These contain square “caged”? Nuts that will need to be recreated. While removing these brackets they became deformed which tech says can be straightened. Also everything will need to be very clean to weld. I’ll attach pics of some steps but what am I looking at in terms of labor costs? Is this an extensive repair?

IMG_1927.jpeg

68394461652__EDCC1200-29C5-4DFF-ACB5-23214921D26D.jpeg

68394595696__86DAF0E6-14B6-4A44-8DAE-C81349207B6C.jpeg

IMG_3930.jpeg

IMG_4006.jpeg

IMG_4837.jpeg

IMG_2164.jpeg

As far as labor costs, its shop rate times how many hours of labor it takes for repair plus shop supplies. That type of work can't be figured with flat rate. Add in that as the repair progresses you'll most likely find more issues. This is all restoration/custom work. Book time goes in the trash can. If costs are going to be an issue, you may be wise to find another car with less problems. Or gain some skills and DIY.

I'm not sure what it would cost. Doesn't appear to be a big job as long as the frame and brackets aren't rusted out. Might be cheaper to get a cheap or used mig welder and do it yourself. Ofcourse you'd need to watch some youtube videos and learn to weld practicing on some similar guage scrap steel. You can probably find one on craigslist or facebook marketplace even cheaper. Or have a buddy with a welder help.

These flux core non gas aren't the best but they should be able to handle that job easily i would think.

You might consider some solid steel/aluminum spacers to replace those rubber K-member mounts. They will improve the handling.
Mike

I'm not sure what it would cost. Doesn't appear to be a big job as long as the frame and brackets aren't rusted out. Might be cheaper to get a cheap or used mig welder and do it yourself. Ofcourse you'd need to watch some youtube videos and learn to weld practicing on some similar guage scrap steel. You can probably find one on craigslist or facebook marketplace even cheaper. Or have a buddy with a welder help.

These flux core non gas aren't the best but they should be able to handle that job easily i would think.

[/URL]
Ok, I did purchase a Amico non-gas welder. I’ve been practicing however I’m keep tripping my circuit because of voltage. Won’t do me much good until I can solve that issue. I’ve had 1 of 2 brackets media blasted no problem. Still need to be further straightened. I’m just antsy 3month waiting garage time.

Auto Transport Service
Back