• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

pushrods are too long need suggestions

greasemonkey512

Local time
5:12 AM
Reaction score
I'm running pro comp heads with smith bros pushrods. it seems my measurements are not coming out as planned... ya ya measure twice order once and also have lash caps installed when taking measurements.

anyways they are 9 inches long but probably should have been 8.5 inches instead.

my question is what would be the cheapest, easiest, fastest way to fix this problem? i really didn't want to buy another set of custom pushrods.

shorter lifters?

thanks for comments and suggestions.

Smith Brothers will shorten them for you.

I took a set of 440 push rods and made them fit a low block by cutting them down in my lathe. Once I cut the tube I knocked out the cup end from the cut off stub and pressed it into the push rod. Easy. Any machine shop should be able to handle this if you give them the exact dimension.

I got mine from Smith Brothers too! Great job and perfect!

I took a set of 440 push rods and made them fit a low block by cutting them down in my lathe. Once I cut the tube I knocked out the cup end from the cut off stub and pressed it into the push rod. Easy. Any machine shop should be able to handle this if you give them the exact dimension.

I've done this too on several sets of ball/cup push rods, but wasn't sure this could be done on ball/ball push rods.

I'd like to know how to lengthen a set of push rods...:eusa_doh:

What about shimming the shafts, say for example your rods are too long and you just needed a few mm more room shims seem to be a cheaper way to go?

I don't recommend rocker shaft shims. Yes I have used them once. It was as a favor for a friend. Man tried to remove a expansion plug in the side of his 383 by drilling it out. Yes, he drilled right through the cylinder wall and the piston. He removed the engine and took it to a machine shop where they installed a sleeve, milled the block and reassembled the engine. It just so happened that the milling done on the decades old, and rebuilt several times, block was enough to cause the valves to hang open. He was 150 miles from the machine shop and they asked me to make it run. .030" worth of shims later it was running without missing. That was three of four years ago and I still see it driving around.

The OP says he is about .500" long. That'd be quite a stack of shims. If your pushrods are .200" long now, that's still an exorbitant amount of shimming.

Agreed. I just realized after comparing lifters the hydraulics are longer so the 9.80 rods won't work for me switching to the 8.9 ones just an FYI it all matters fit wise.

Mopar Solid lifters are longer than Hughes EDM solid lifters too.....
Luckily I had my parts and pieces before ordering custom length pushrods...
As mentioned before,,,, just send them back and have them cut down..

I would send them back and have them done right. You dont want to use any second rate setups in your eng. I used "Manton" to make my pushrods and they did a great job with great service. Smith Bros are real good also and since they are their pushrods just send them back to them. Ron

I've done this too on several sets of ball/cup push rods, but wasn't sure this could be done on ball/ball push rods.

I'd like to know how to lengthen a set of push rods...:eusa_doh:[/QUOTE]

You just need a push rod stretcher!

Auto Transport Service
Back