• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pushrods help

Law69GTX

Local time
4:14 AM
Reaction score
Hi everyone was hoping to get some help I purchased a 69 GTX in parts basically trying to reassemble. I pulled the valve covers and pan and see the pushrods are just laying inside everything is tight and bolted but my pushrods are to short.My question is does the 440 have a pushrods keeper or spacer that was used down to the tappets at the crankshaft Thanks any help greatly appreciated

Start with measuring pushrods , maybe they're from a lowdeck.

I believe they are the right ones I will measure but no keeper or spacer at the tappet they just ride in between lifter and keeper on top of tappet? Thanks

The lifter is the tappet.
Pushrods are trapped between the lifter and the rocker

If it hasn't been run or turned over or had the oil primed in a long time, the lifters bleed down. Pushrods become loose. And yes, there are "no" keepers/guides down by the lifters.

too many unknowns. They could be solid lifters or hydraulic, or hydraulic with the guts removed, or early 440 lifters where the pushrod sits lower than the later lifters. The pushrods could be for a diffferent, or adjustable rockers. A length measurement of the pushrods is a good starting point. For stock hydraulic cam 440 and rockers they are 5/16" diameter, solid ball on both ends (not oil through), and I think 9.315" long. A low deck (383 or 400) the pushrods are about 8.575" long.

Thanks everyone I will get some more info and pics to post .The 440 hasn't been run for a long with no oil but wrapped anyway if the lifters have bled down if I put oil in and hand turn it will the lifters rise .
Thank you all

Thanks everyone I will get some more info and pics to post .The 440 hasn't been run for a long with no oil but wrapped anyway if the lifters have bled down if I put oil in and hand turn it will the lifters rise .
Thank you all
No, the oiling system would need to be primed while the engine is hand turned.

67 440 has different sized pushrods and lifters... You can upgrade to newer by replacing both.....

Thanks everyone for the responses I measured the pushrods today and they are only 8.5 inches so they are not for my 440 also I measured from the Rocker to the tappet and they are the 9.3 X 5/16 and I did see also that they are solid ball not with the oil openings should I grease both ends of rod before installing Thanks again for all the help

Make sure you use a pushrod checking tool. It will give you "accurate" measurement so you can order the correct pushrods.

My .02.......The engine should be thoroughly primed, to the point where oil is coming out around the rockers, before attempting to start it.

Put a straight edge on the valve tips, find the lowest one. Put a factory stock 440 pushrod in there, and bolt the rockers down. With that cam lobe on the base circle, you should see it push down into the lifter " slightly, .020 thou or so". If that's the case, Put the stock pushrods In.
Chrysler used one size of pushrods in 440s, so as long as noting is too milled or out of whack, should work.

Thanks appreciate it motor been sitting for long time wrapped up with no oil so I was thinking of spraying wd into plug holes and letting sit overnight then filling with oil then I can try and hand crank first
Is there a way to pump the mechanical oil pump manually to check kind make sure oil is distributed before installing valley pan
Thanks

So it's a fresh rebuild, but not finished? I would use rust check in the cylinders if rust is a concern. Don't worry about oil pressure when hand turning.
Rockers etc had to be on..

20220313_162220.jpg

You must pull the distributor drive gear out of the hole, then insert a hex shape oil pump drive adapter in there attached to a drill. Hold on tight and use light trigger, once oil pump starts to prime, it will twist your wrist. While the pump is being primed, you need to slowly turn the engine by hand. There are holes that get oil in the rocker shafts. It usually takes a few slow rotations of the engine to get oil to all parts.

Auto Transport Service
Back