• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

quarter inch bleed nipple at a weird angle. 67 Belvedere

TheRealDavid

Local time
4:57 PM
Reaction score
Any idea how the heck I can angle in to the bleed nipple to losen it? there is not much clearance. Ideally what I've seen on bleeding brakes is that you place a tube through a spanner/wrench and then attach the tube. don't see how that can happen with the spanner being at a weird angle which essentially prys off the tube...

I could just maybe try to losen it without the tube and bleed the brakes and also make a damn mess.
20230517_103336.jpg

They used to sell a special bleeder wrench for those. Look on ebay, quite a few there and some snap-on stuff cheap. A deep drop snap on box wrench works also. I mention snap on because there is a 1/4" one on ebay cheep.

20230517_125712.jpg

Last edited:
Any idea how the heck I can angle in to the bleed nipple to losen it? there is not much clearance. Ideally what I've seen on bleeding brakes is that you place a tube through a spanner/wrench and then attach the tube. don't see how that can happen with the spanner being at a weird angle which essentially prys off the tube...

I could just maybe try to losen it without the tube and bleed the brakes and also make a damn mess.
View attachment 1466254
Once you get the bleeder loose take another wrench and grind it down until it's thin enough to loosen the bleeder without knocking the hose loose. You don't need to use one of those fancy bleeding things if you have a buddy to help you by pumping the pedal up and a pan to catch the old fluid in.

Thanks y'all @4406bbl and @wvmarv ! I will order one of those tools since I don't have a grinder and I live in an apartment. For now I went with a quick fix and so far it's an improvement. I losened it with a socket until I saw one drop then finger tightened. So I put the tube in and pinched to losen. Not the best way to do things. Also I'm using a one way bleeder valve since I dunno who I can bug to press the brakes. I'm a damn hermit haha

I brake them free with a box end or line wrench, then use a 1/4" drive deep socket.

My 1/4" ratchet has a toggle to change from L to R, so it's relatively easy.

Plus, my wife is pretty good at interpreting the nuances and "language" of brake bleeding.

One of those oem tools brand cheap bleeder kits has hard plastic nipples that you push in the bleed hole and it extends out about a 1/2" then hooks to your bleed tube leaving enough room for a wrench. I use those on replacement wheel cylinders that have metric bleeders, and kinda for everything as it is handy. I use a bigger bottle to catch fluid, but the nipples are nice.

Loosen with socket. Gravity bleed. Tighten. Drive.
Wash off tricklings with brake clean if concerned.

I never have any luck with gravity bleeding or a vacuum bleeder.

Just good old 2 person "down?", "down", " pump", "pedal?"... style seems to work for me.

One of the very few two man jobs I haven't figured out how to do with only one man.

Thanks y'all @4406bbl and @wvmarv I losened it with a socket until I saw one drop then finger tightened. So I put the tube in and pinched to losen. Not the best way to do things. Also I'm using a one way bleeder valve since I dunno who I can bug to press the brakes. I'm a damn hermit haha
this is what I do. Put a wadded paper towel below to catch the drips, loosen & tighten with 1/4” drive socket.

the one way valve/tube makes it nice. Don’t need any helpers involved.

If you don't have a one- way, you can put the tube in a coke bottle with some brake fluid in it

I just used that method a few weeks ago to make myself a wrench to tighten the oil pressure sending unit on my 440!

View attachment 1466329

One of the first tools I ever "made" was a 90* 1/2" "distributor" wrench.

It was basically free vs buying one pre-bent.

I never have any luck with gravity bleeding or a vacuum bleeder.

Just good old 2 person "down?", "down", " pump", "pedal?"... style seems to work for me.

One of the very few two man jobs I haven't figured out how to do with only one man.
I use a one way bleeder valve, $10 bucks on amazon. Also there are some things called speed bleeders but they go for over $20, however they are permanent and if they work as advertised seems like a damn easy way of bleeding brakes.

I use a one way bleeder valve, $10 bucks on amazon. Also there are some things called speed bleeders but they go for over $20, however they are permanent and if they work as advertised seems like a damn easy way of bleeding brakes.

I just got one of those thrown in with a motorcycle jack and a few other things I just bought.

Haven't had the need to try it yet.

Auto Transport Service
Back