• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quarter window seal

Lt Shaffer

Local time
4:04 AM
Reaction score
Hello all, trying to find the seal at the bottom of the quarter window. Not the vertical seal between the door glass and quarter glass but the quarter glass and the quarter panel.everything I see is the vertical seal. Also is there a name for this seal? Thanks

Cat whiskers or window sweeps
Detroit Muscle Technologies (DMT) is where I bought one set and Dantes is where I bought a second set. Now, I can't find any sets any where except DMT does have the SE sets listed as available on their website. That rear quarter sweep, both inner and outer were not easy to install. I had to elongate a couple of the slots by 1/8" to install the outer sweep with the correct curvature.
TerryW>

Rear Quarter Window Outer Sweeps 1.jpg Rear Qtr Window Sweep Success 2.jpg

I talked with the owner of DMT at the Mopar Nationals

Of course the one thing I needed to buy , his cat whisker set 71-72 B Body

Completely out of stock everywhere I looked at the show
Was told January at the earliest

If you find them in stock anywhere and you need them, buy the part right then. Everything I need seems to be on backorder.
Terry W.

If you find them in stock anywhere and you need them, buy the part right then. Everything I need seems to be on backorder.
Terry W.
I hear that! I have a Tuff wheel & extender on B/O now. The thrill of the hunt... no the agony of the wait.

I just check Classic Industries and they claim they are IN STOCK NOW Part MM8286
Maybe they are IDK and I did not call Good luck though.
MM8286 - 1973-74 Plymouth B-Body 2 Door 10 Piece Door Glass Weatherstrip Set
MM8286.jpg
MM8286.jpg

PUI_LOGO.jpg

Product #: MM8286
In Stock Now!

MSRP: $142.99 set
$129.99 set

Terry W.
I bought a set of the the Top Cat brand sweeps and a set of the PUI brand. The Top Cat brand is very close to the originals in shape. The only problem I had with them is the adhesive attaching the seal to the metal backing did not work well. I ended up redoing them with weatherstrip adhesive to keep them from coming apart. The PUI brand is a different shape of rubber seal from the original but will work. They were less expensive. Lessons learned: 1) take my time installing the sweeps. They aren't a perfect fit. 2) The glass tends to grab the new rubber when rolling window up. Go slowly and use a wide plastic body filler spreader to keep tucking the rubber seal down along glass to prevent pulling the rubber from separating from the steel backing. I thought about using a silicone spray on the glass but wasn't sure how it would affect the new sweep seal. 3) Leave the window rolled up for awhile to form the new sweep seal. If anyone has any other ideas or info, please share. It took me probably 10 hours to install both inner and outer sweeps. Thanks
Terry W.

You are the best! Placed my order, lets see what happens. I have parts on B/O with them already LOL!

You are the best! Placed my order, lets see what happens. I have parts on B/O with them already LOL!
As a side note, the Top Cat side sweeps I bought for my 71 Challenger look exactly like the originals also. The Charger PUI set, as I said, will work but are not exactly like the original sweeps as far as he rubber seal part looks. Cross section profile is somewhat different.
Terry W.

Last edited:
Here was the biggest difference as to how PUI sweeps make the corner bend. The one on the left is an original and PUI is on right. Top Cat brand was like the original. Maybe PUI has corrected this since I bought these a year ago.
Terry W.

Quarter Window Sweep PUI vs OEM.jpg

That's a pretty big difference.
Yes but I will still use the PUI ones in another 74 Charger I have. As I said, I hope PUI has corrected this. My problem with the way they cut the hard part of the seal is that with age, will the split continue up into the part of the seal against the window. I don't know. I'm considering what I can use to fill in those gaps once installed. You can see the Top Cat ones in my first post in this topic in the first photo above of the sweep sitting in the window opening.
Terry W.

Yes but I will still use the PUI ones in another 74 Charger I have. As I said, I hope PUI has corrected this. My problem with the way they cut the hard part of the seal is that with age, will the split continue up into the part of the seal against the window. I don't know. I'm considering what I can use to fill in those gaps once installed. You can see the Top Cat ones in my first post in this topic in the first photo above of the sweep sitting in the window opening.
Terry W.
Maybe some sort of epoxy can be used after installation to beef it up.

Auto Transport Service
Back