• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about having a tooth replaced ?

RoadRunner1970

Local time
4:32 AM
Reaction score
I have a tooth that needs extracted, they give you the 3 choices. My question is are they many people that have done the expensive implant option?

If you’re not a tabbacoo user, an implant is great. Another option is a “bridge”. The teeth in front of and behind the missing tooth will be ground some and a mold will be sent off. The dentist will receive the “bridge” and your teeth will get cleaning then the “bridge” will be installed. It will last as long as you do.

1709299299833.png

I had an implant done last year, and no dental insurance after my wife retired seven years ago, so I almost didn't do it. Of course I had perfect teeth when I was on her plan. I would compare it to installing an OEM quarter panel for rust repair on one of our beloved B bodies. Well worth the money, and the best choice if you can afford it. Mine was $5000 out the door, cash. It's like having a real tooth.

Ironically, when my wife was still on her dental plan, she had a tooth pulled, and elected not replace it, later regretted the decision. If you want the implant, the procedure has to be performed soon after the tooth is extracted. Wife later got an implant for the other side, and like mine, it was $5000 out the door. For any of you guys thinking about early retirement, dental costs can be one of the bigger hits to your wallet.

I was going to do an implant but I also needed a bone graft first. The bone graft didn’t take so I never got an implant. Luckily the tooth that they were trying to replace was a rear molar which really didn’t effect me.

My Dentist is one our of dearest friends and also every year is lauded by a OC mag here that puts him in the top 5 category. By far the most conservative DDS I’ve ever had. He told be a bridge is a the poorest of the 3 options because of the destructive grounding down of the teeth behind and in front of the one being replace or bridged. He says if it doesn’t bother you or in a place where it can’t be seen leave it empty - however know your other teeth near it will move because of the empty space. He gives you the choices and explains the pros amd cons - and you choose. I have two implants and haven’t given it a second thought. More than happy I did so. My sister back home, on the other hand did not and left open. Looks terrible. And she has plenty of $$$. If you have the $$ get the implant.

I had an extraction, bone graft and implant 10 years ago- no regrets, trouble free. Just had another one, waiting for the implant to be completely healed before he installs the actual tooth. $5000 to $6000 cost but no messing around with a bridge. I’m very satisfied.

for me it would depend on the tooth.. if it's something people can see, no way i would have a missing tooth.. last month i had to get a very back molar removed (after root canal) At the same time as 2 wisdom teeth and i don't miss it a bit and it still cost $1700... on the upside... no cavities!! only ever had one cavity and i'm still mad bout it

The answer can be financial or situational. I had a tooth extracted a year ago and talked with my new Dentist on Tuesday about replacing it. He does implants but did not recommend that for this tooth. I would need a bone graft first and as @MCODECUDA said, they're not always successful. Because the tooth in front and the tooth behind the extraction have already been crowned, the bridge is the better solution for this tooth.

I know people who have gone to Mexico for implants who are happy with the work and saved a TON of money. Of course the American Dentists poo-poo this option as being inferior. I'm not so sure...

Only one cavity ever? I'm kinda mad about that too!:lol:
my ex boss drinks mountain dew non stop and his teeth are pretty much all fillings, i'm crazy bout my teeth.. you only get one set i floss 1-2 times a day, use a waterpik and brush 2/3 times also..
BTW.. didn't get a waterpik til recently and my god what a difference.. wish i had gotten one decades ago

Just me but if that tooth is a rear one and not seen I would just pull it and spend the 5k on car parts. :drinks:

BTW.. didn't get a waterpik til recently and my god what a difference.. wish i had gotten one decades ago
My new hygienist just recommended the waterpik to me this week and sent me home with a brochure. I'll have one shortly.

My new hygienist just recommended the waterpik to me this week and sent me home with a brochure. I'll have one shortly.
This is the one i went with and it's been like a year and no issues.. just gotta be careful of the little door to fil it..
Waterpik...

I have very basic fed health benefit coverage, so it is all out of pocket and around $6000 but I was more concerned about them drilling into my jawbone and was curious how bad it was......

Ok, if those guys are not to your liking, I got another dentist recommendation

Lol, that’s from Marathon Man w/ Dustin Hoffman, that was one scary flick, as was Three Days of the Condor w/ Redford. Those movies gave me more willies than the horror flicks.

This guy isn't too bad...but i hear he ran into drug issues :(
1709306550131.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back