• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about special torque wrench

pearljam724

Local time
8:51 PM
Reaction score
I’m very familiar with torque wrenches and own a couple. Today I wanted to check my torque on my intake as periodically I have a few drips of coolant near the front. In the middle of the intake on sides of carburetor. It’s impossible to get a traditional torque wrench on those bolts because of the angled bolts on a LA engine. I tried swivels, extensions. Won’t work.
I’ve come across this a few times with similar stuff. I’d like to buy a reasonably priced box wrench that allows you to check torque. What are they specifically called and who makes one that’s reasonably priced ?

I'm not sure you really need a special too for that.
I usually will just torque one I can get too, then put a wrench on it and see how tight it feels.
Then make the others the same as the "torqued" sample.

I suppose you could get a crows foot extension on it but it wouldn't be 100% accurate. As Don said, go by feel.

Can you weld? Cut a combo wrench in half then add a center piece to make the wrench 12" long then use a fish scale and pull on it until you get the torque reading. You can get a digital one from Amazon for a bit over 12 bucks......

I suppose you could get a crows foot extension on it but it wouldn't be 100% accurate. As Don said, go by feel.
The accuracy is based on where you place the crows foot on the wrench - if it sticks past the end the torque will be high (longer arm), if it is placed toward the handle it will be low (shorter arm), if you can place close to 90 degrees from the handle you will get your best accuracy (same arm length)

Good luck !

Check e-bag for "Miller special tools" and see what comes up. I have a 3/8'' angle torque adapter from back in the 60's working at the Dodge dealership. I wish I would have kept them all. We were young and dumb while cleaning out the parts room full of Mopar miller tools and NOS parts. The owner said "No one uses them. Clean this place out,get rid of what you don't want."We thru truck loads of stuff out. Even a set of the "Recall Wheels" All went to the dump. There is a gold mine buried out there.Woulda,coulda,shoulda !

Check e-bag for "Miller special tools" and see what comes up. I have a 3/8'' angle torque adapter from back in the 60's working at the Dodge dealership. I wish I would have kept them all. We were young and dumb while cleaning out the parts room full of Mopar miller tools and NOS parts. The owner said "No one uses them. Clean this place out,get rid of what you don't want."We thru truck loads of stuff out. Even a set of the "Recall Wheels" All went to the dump. There is a gold mine buried out there.Woulda,coulda,shoulda !
Oh man what a loss!!

I can't even tell you, every once and awhile the guys from back then get together and that is the first thing brought up.Worth nothing then, Gold now.
PJ, I forgot to say that the Miller torque adapters were even stamped with wording like "subtract 10 lbs ft from spec when using" Cool stuff like that.

You do need to torque an aluminum intake properly. Just tightening by feel is insane in my opinion. Cast, ok maybe.

I've installed lots of intakes without using a torque wrench and never had any problems. The biggest thing with aluminum intakes is using flat washers and ones that are made for them or use ones that are thicker so they don't deform.

After wrenching for a number of years you develop a feel. Sticking heads on by feel is a bit out of the ordinary and the same with rods and main caps. Intakes are a lot more forgiving plus the torque isn't all that high. If you are someone that likes to tighten the crap out of stuff, then use that torque wrench. If anything, I usually end up on the light side but not by much. How would I know that? There have been times I've checked my 'gruntness' with a torque wrench. Question....you use a torque wrench on lug nuts? If not, why not??? :D Wheels are a LOT more important than that intake manifold.

You do need to torque an aluminum intake properly. Just tightening by feel is insane in my opinion. Cast, ok maybe.
Feel is fine I reckon, if you're experienced. I use a torque wrench for certain things where access is easy, but I don't trust them 100% and never keep blindly tightening things, especially the ones that 'click' when torqued up. If the torque wrench is defective or set to the wrong torque you can easily get into a lot of trouble. When I was a young wippersnapper I once set the wrench to foot pounds when it was meant to be inch pounds...

Ok then how did you put it together originally?
I didn’t. The car and engine was completely restored for the most part when I bought it. That’s why it leaked. Someone did the torque feel most likely, lol ! The proper foot pounds is 35. All the front bolts were around 15 pds. Heat could have loosened them. But, that’s how things get warped. Guessing at torque specs. Especially with aluminum.

Man, a 13 year old can pull 15 lbs easily enough......at least I was lol.

They are called "Box end torque adapters" MAC Tools sells them

Box End Torque Adapter.jpg

Make your own with a wrench
take center to center length plus 12 and divide into torque spec x 12
you said 35lb so 12+2in = 14 35 divided by 14 x 12 = 30lb

Auto Transport Service
Back