• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question concerning seal between tail and quarter panel.

Hein4

Local time
4:44 PM
Reaction score
Hello there, I have an issue with the sealing of my trunk/ rear lights on my 69 Satellite.
The tail meets the rear quarter and there is a gap between the two parts (as seen in the photo). Right now, rain would run directly to the taillights.

Question: how should this gap be properly sealed? What stuff would go into that seam?

The car is painted and I hope, that sealing the gap will not destroy the paint?
Your help would be greatly appreciated!

20220117_163259.jpg

Are you asking about the joint between the quarter panel and the quarter panel extension? If the same as 66/67 there’s a gasket that goes between them. But it’s about 1/32” flexible back plastic and not really a weather tight seal so much. It just kind of cleans up the joint appearance. The tail light bucket gasket typically seals the tail light opening in the end of the quarter. Here’s what they show for a 69.

https://www.detroitmuscletechnologies.com/mopar-b-body-69-roadrunner-quarter-extension-gaskets-pair/

This should be it! Thank you very much.
So the extension must be taken off and the gasket installed.

On the other hand - would it be feasible to put the black caulk that is mentioned when following your link into the gap?

Sounds like a new project for me :)!

If you want the paint under there to still look good, then no sealant

Thanks for the advice.
I will check, whether the studs will be stable enough for a removal/ reinstallation procedure of the gasket, after all I do not want to ruin more then I fixed...

I would not use caulk. It might make a mess when tightened down. I think the plastic gasket is more to slightly separate the painted pieces so they don’t rub together and chip on the edges. As I said, at least on my 66 they do not provide the seal to keep water out of the trunk.

i think they make a foam gasket for them too, classic industries

I would not use caulk. It might make a mess when tightened down. I think the plastic gasket is more to slightly separate the painted pieces so they don’t rub together and chip on the edges. As I said, at least on my 66 they do not provide the seal to keep water out of the trunk.
I agree and you make a good point. They are not meant to seal as much as to protect the body parts. When I put mine back on I used a VERY thin bead of sealer toward the inside edge so I would not push out past the outer edge of the seal. Don't know if it's going to help, but what the hell.

My '69 was in original paint when I bought it and I'm "pretty sure" that joint was filled with seam sealer - same as the dutchman panel. HOWEVER, when I got the car back from paint those gaps had not been filled - and that's always bothered me. Regardless of what's wrong or right, when it gets painted this time those gaps are getting seam sealer. There is no reason not to seal them - there is no reason to have to take those extensions off or loosen them unless they tail end gets damaged - and then the sealer will be the least of your worries!

Every show I'm at I look at those areas. I haven't come across any original paint cars. Many restos do not appear to have sealer there BUT the fit is not great so that's another reason to seam seal. Also, There seams to be a split between paint separately or in place. and there are downsides to either ... paint in place and the joint may not get good coverage. Paint separately and the paint can crack or chip as they're tightened into place.

The gaskets are shown here - page 10:
https://www.detroitmuscletechnologies.com/content/DMT CATALOG B BODY 66-70 ROADRUNNER.pdf

Last edited:
Remember that plastic "gasket" was in place BEFORE the car was painted at the assembly plant. I lucked out on my Bee as everything was painted in pieces and the gasket is black and doesn't really show against the Blue. A white car would be another story...

If yours is painted and done, I wouldn't tempt fate pulling the extensions back off as if your luck is like mine this will be the time all the studs break off.

Many thanks for all the input fellows, I am very glad to get your fast and wise responses.
As stated above, I will inspect the studs and then decide if taking off the extension to "do it right" is worth the risk of snapping those studs. As the car is painted black, a sealer will hopefully not interfere with the looks of that color.

That gap is not a sealed gap. Water getting in there won’t hurt anything.

The sealing water out of the trunk is the foam gasket on the taillight bucket. The gasket where the red lens sits on the taillight bucket. Then there is a foam seal on all of the studs where quarter extension bolts go through the body.

the thick black gasket is not for water sealing. Look at it and that should be clear.

This thread is helpful. What about the sealant or whatever goes on / in the nuts that hold on the extensions? Looks like a glob of it filled the nut before it was installed and it then sealed the hole the stud goes through?

We call it dumb dumb. I don’t know why. I came look on the pack tomorrow and see what it called. It’s a black sealant that never dries.

Just called someone at the shop to see what it’s called. 3M strip caulking. All paint and body stores have it.

Auto Transport Service
Back