• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question concerning seal between tail and quarter panel.

Anywhere water can penetrate. 1/4 extension all tail light acorn nuts . I used it to hold the moisture barrier on the doors also. Put it in your palm and roll it out thin.

1968 Plymouth B bodies were painted with the extension off, and the extension was painted separately, then bolted on. From the factory, the 68's used the black plastic gasket, which does virtually nothing to seal out water.

In 1969, the extensions were bolted to the car, sealed with seam sealer, then the whole car was painted. This was for several reasons.

1. simpler paint procedure. Fewer loose pieces to paint separately.
2. simpler assembly line procedure. less chance of mis alignment and paint chipping.
3. better weather sealing
4. better easthetics. makes the extension look more integrated.
This was a quality control improvement, plus saved time = money for Chrysler.
However decades later, 69's sometimes have rust in behind the tail light area because of the lack of primer and paint in this hidden area.

Remove a 68 extension and the nuts will be bare. Remove a 69 extension and the nuts will have body color paint overspray.

The seam sealer used was the same white latex based sealant seen on the drip rail, and other body seams.

I have a related question. Should the gasket be flush to the outside edge, slightly recessed or unseen?

I have a related question. Should the gasket be flush to the outside edge, slightly recessed or unseen?

It is what it is. But in any I've seen they are just slightly recessed to make up for the slight bevel of the sheet metal and extension casting.

Well that doesn't count ... they were originally seam sealed !!
Oh, well if you want a picture of what it supposed to look like, let me know. Lol. I put the plastic gasket on my 68 Road Runner. If you would like to see it.

This is my original 68 Coronet, can’t tell if it’s sealer or gasket. I would guess sealer.

3A8EA3BC-F4FF-40AB-AEC7-0D1053562748.jpeg

39E620F0-7BCF-4E13-A300-D96EA8330D6F.jpeg

563AB94D-FD5E-4F3E-87D9-E3E2951D5C10.jpeg

When I took them off, they had gaskets under them.
However, I have no history on the car as far as previous ownership. I do know that it didn't have original interior and a front fender has been replaced.
The body numbers (radiator support and trunk lip), VIN and Fender tag all match up.

I purchased some gaskets but they seemed too small at the top, allowing metal to metal contact. So I made my own but when trimming them to size I ran into the problem I asked about.

Judging by the pictures I need to try the gaskets I purchased again. Maybe they were the correct size?

Auto Transport Service
Back