• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question on 4 speed shifter boot/console alignment

mschoo92

Local time
8:54 PM
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

working on buttoning up the interior of our 74 SSP/Roadrunner clone, and I had a question regarding shift boot fitment.

see attached photos - I currently have the console pushed rearward relative to the boot, so that the boot is not centered in the console cutout. With the shifter this way, the boot rubs slightly under the finishing plate on the console. However if I center the boot in the cutout, the boot ridges catch on the cutout and feel as if they’d interfere with shifting.

the car was originally a factory 318/auto and previous owner did the 4 speed conversion, so I’m not sure if everything is in factory location. Does anyone have any photos or feedback regarding the alignment? Any help is much appreciated!

871C2EFA-1C72-48DE-A153-F284CE7B3593.jpeg 690757C2-2CC0-41A6-80B5-B3161ECF6EB5.jpeg

I've got a factory 4 speed Challenger looks like your shifter is farther forward than mine. Don't know if it's fair to compare a Challenger to a SSP/ RR... the E/B body 4 speed had two different mounting points for the shifter, Perhaps the transmission and or shifter linkage is different than stock. Do you know what the trans is out of or if it a b body trans ??

Was your car a console shift car to begin with ??? The PO may have located the console brackets in the wrong location when they did the swap.

I agree about your console top plate, it looks like it's the automatic version.

Here's the woodgrain for an automatic:

https://www.detroitmuscletechnologies.com/mopar-console-overlay-b-e-body-70-74-auto-walnut/

Here's the woodgrain for a 4-speed:

https://www.detroitmuscletechnologies.com/mopar-console-overlay-b-e-body-70-74-manual-walnut/

You can see the opening is larger for the 4-speed shifter.

Year One sells a repro 4-speed console top plate:

https://www.yearone.com/Product/chrysler-b-body/cs225

If Year One sells it, other vendors must so shop around for the best price.

Mike.

I've got a factory 4 speed Challenger looks like your shifter is farther forward than mine. Don't know if it's fair to compare a Challenger to a SSP/ RR... the E/B body 4 speed had two different mounting points for the shifter, Perhaps the transmission and or shifter linkage is different than stock. Do you know what the trans is out of or if it a b body trans ??

I’m pretty sure the trans is correct, it’s using the rear mount position/plate. As for the linkages, they appear to be the right ones as well based on what I found on Brewers for a 74 b body. I believe both B and E body console cars used the same rear mount although I’m not sure, learning as I go!

55B91275-9316-4708-AC2C-F3E361B818AB.jpeg

Was your car a console shift car to begin with ??? The PO may have located the console brackets in the wrong location when they did the swap.

no, the car was a column shift. I’m thinking the brackets may not be correct, or I may have to move the console on the brackets...looks like they drilled some extra mounting holes, possibly to make it work with the existing console versus the correct 4 speed plate?

5AC61EA3-2F66-4E74-B565-F83FF709A1C9.jpeg

In 70 the b body used the forward mounting location, I'm not sure what was used in 74... I suppose it's possible that a hodge podge of cobbling together a shifter from other years not original to your car may be the confusion... I think I would research original equipment for your car. I recently bought a factory repair manual for my 1962 Plymouth it was so worth the money of $35.00.. having the pictures and information is priceless !!

no, the car was a column shift. I’m thinking the brackets may not be correct, or I may have to move the console on the brackets...looks like they drilled some extra mounting holes, possibly to make it work with the existing console versus the correct 4 speed plate?

View attachment 974876
Yes I agree, the bracket looks way too close to the shifter...

Could you carefully trim the opening to make it slightly larger? I always to try to modify/make parts myself first before buying. If it turns out a mess then you could buy the new top plate anyway.

I think you're on the right track... I do know that the previous comment that the cover plate is incorrect is true... The 4 speed plate has curved edges on the Drivers side of the plate... not squared off as yours... possibly search goggle images for a view of a stock shifter assembly. GOOD LUCK !!

I agree about your console top plate, it looks like it's the automatic version.

Here's the woodgrain for an automatic:

https://www.detroitmuscletechnologies.com/mopar-console-overlay-b-e-body-70-74-auto-walnut/

Here's the woodgrain for a 4-speed:

https://www.detroitmuscletechnologies.com/mopar-console-overlay-b-e-body-70-74-manual-walnut/

You can see the opening is larger for the 4-speed shifter.

Year One sells a repro 4-speed console top plate:

https://www.yearone.com/Product/chrysler-b-body/cs225

If Year One sells it, other vendors must so shop around for the best price.

Mike.
In 70 the b body used the forward mounting location, I'm not sure what was used in 74... I suppose it's possible that a hodge podge of cobbling together a shifter from other years not original to your car may be the confusion... I think I would research original equipment for your car. I recently bought a factory repair manual for my 1962 Plymouth it was so worth the money of $35.00.. having the pictures and information is priceless !!

Thanks all for the help. I do have a factory service manual, I know the console is correct but I think you’re right in that the finishing plate may be the automatic version. That paired with the potential console location issue might be what I’m running into here.

Does anyone happen to have a picture of a 74 4 speed console setup? Just curious what it’s supposed to look like so I can work on repositioning the console if necessary.

The console screws go in to the long slots so you can shift the console around a bit.
The console just sits and is held lightly by the four screws - it is not "cranked down"

Thanks all for the help. I do have a factory service manual, I know the console is correct but I think you’re right in that the finishing plate may be the automatic version. That paired with the potential console location issue might be what I’m running into here.

Does anyone happen to have a picture of a 74 4 speed console setup? Just curious what it’s supposed to look like so I can work on repositioning the console if necessary.

I just went through this process. Mine is a 72 but I have the exact same bracketry and your front mount location looks to close to mine but it might be a little to far back and to the left. Mine is almost to far back too so I am thinking its that bracket. These are not the best pictures but here is what mine looks like. The car is in 4th in the second picture and neutral in the 3rd pic.

20200522_184114.jpg

20200523_151023.jpg
20200522_201912.jpg

Last edited:
I just went through this process. Mine is a 72 but I have the exact same bracketry and your front mount location looks to close to mine but it might be a little to far back and to the left. Mine is almost to far back too so I am thinking its that bracket. These are not the best pictures but here is what mine looks like. The car is in 4th in the second picture and neutral in the 3rd pic.

View attachment 975064
View attachment 975065 View attachment 975066

thanks for the photos, that’s a huge help and tells me while the top plate might be a contributing factor it might not be the whole issue. Still, I might be able to make my own plate and run that for a while - I’m leaning towards running without the console in the future, I like the look without. In the meantime, I’m going to try and figure this out and will be sure to post any updates or solutions I come up with.

Auto Transport Service
Back