• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question on Gauge Cluster removal

Chargered

Local time
11:01 AM
Reaction score
Trying to remove my gauge cluster on my 70 Charger. I have dropped the steering column and have read in the service manual that the next step is to disconnect the speedometer cable from the speedometer. Problem is, I can't even see where the speedo cable connects (let alone disconnect it) because there is so much stuff up there under the dash. I can't see it let alone get to it. Has anyone been able to do this?

Thanks!

I just took the dash out of my 70 bee look under the dash find the speedo cable follow the cable with your hand till you can feel the back of the speedo the reach your fingers up there and there is a plastic clip that is part of the cable that you have to squeeze against the cable housing then it just pops out its easy after you have done it once good luck

look up from the bottom, there should be a white end on the cable going into the speedo. theres a single clip on that white end. push down on the clip and pull it out. DISCONNECT THE BATTERY BEFORE YOU DO THIS. if youre removing the whole dash panel theres a ton of wires ya gotta disconnect and one being the AMP GAUGE. ya dont wanna short that out......sure way to have a potential fire!

Thanks guys.Unfortunately, this 70 charger has AC and there is a duct in the way that prevents getting your hand up there. Today, I'm going to try and remove some components to see if I can get that duct out of the way. You almost have to be a contortionist to work under there.

Finally got the speedo cable out today. I had to get my wife to reach up in there to unclip it, I think my fingers are too fat. Thanks again for the advice and help. Let me know if you have any recommendations on where to send the gauge cluster to get refinished and recalibrated.

you can do this yourself. VANSAUTOLLC has all of the replacement gauges....(ebay...search 70 mopar dash) . i did my 70 road runner and replaced all the gauges. they have tic toc tach's and speedos....all new. its not hard to do at all. i painted the tach and speedo tips orange coz theyre so damn hard to see ! roadrunner rallye wheels 005.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back