• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Questionable VIN

sunger

Local time
9:55 PM
Reaction score
I am thinking about buying a 68 charger R/T hemi car, and found this one. As I have dug into it some, the seller sent me the following:

While building this car, had to find many parts. Received the car with many missing parts when purchased. The restoration took 3 years to build. Govier noted the car obtains its Original Fender Tag. Govier noted that the body numbers match. It has the correct Hemi 048 Radiator, Hemi 80 and 81 Torsion bars, Hemi fan 2863215 and the original leaf springs. It also has the correct 742 case for the 8 3/4 rear end. Govier noted the vin seems to have been replaced at some time. At some point in this cars life the original vin plate was lost. The replaced vin has been installed with the original style rivits. He verified that it is a true XS29J8B car which is what corresponds on the vin. The only part of the vin that he thought was not accurate were the last 4 digits, but he said it still was a true "J" code Hemi car and documented it in his authenticity paperwork. In 1968 the last numbers of the vin have nothing to do with the body numbers. The body numbers which are on the car, are located on the fender tag in 1968. He noted the fender tag is original and codes as a 426 hemi car, plus he took photos and noted the original hemi torque boxes, etc. on the car. Govier verified/ authenticated this as a Born 1968 426 Hemi Charger R/T, a True "J" code car.

I am balking because of the questionable VIN as noted. I know the VIN is generally located on the left side of the trunk under the trunk lid molding, and question why it was not checked. Is this something I should pursue, or put the peddle down and get out of Dodge. Thanks

The VIN does not appear on the body until 1969 model year.

If Galen says something is not right then I would RUN AWAY FAST.

If Galen says something is not right then I would RUN AWAY FAST
If its priced good enough for the discrepancy and its what you want, go for it. If you are shopping numbers, and originality, to make a quick buck, RUN. Everyone wants the rare car that's been in a mayonnaise jar for 50 plus years. Their may still be some out there, but finding it at a bargain only happens once in a lifetime.

I guess I’m not following the story. How does he know the VIN last 4 don’t match or look right? Only thing he could possibly know is the production date to VIN sequence. Other cars built in a certain week fall into a certain VIN range.

Is there a build sheet? In 1968 you need that to pull the VIN together with the fender tag.

I don’t think you’re getting the entire story. I don’t know what GG does when he documents a car but in the Chevy world Jerry M will authentic the car then document what’s not right about the car. When shopping for a verified Z/28 you have to ask for those documented condition pages. Point is, ask to see the GG report.

I’m not an expert on this subject so I ask for informational purposes. Would a factory Hemi Car have a 742 8 3/4 rear end? I would have thought it would have had a stronger differential.

Yes, on an automatic car. A 4-speed would be a Dana.
Also is this something you found and want or was the car ‘advertised’? Does the person really want to sell or are you pushing it? The R/T I bought was me pushing for it, it wasn’t for sale. When you push you pay more IMO.

I’m not an expert on this subject so I ask for informational purposes. Would a factory Hemi Car have a 742 8 3/4 rear end? I would have thought it would have had a stronger differential.

Auto cars got the 8-3/4, for the most part...

A owner could have purchased the option for a dana with an AT trans for 440/426......Code A32 Super performance axle package for 440/426 only.......

A owner could have purchased the option for a dana with an AT trans for 440/426......Code A32 Super performance axle package for 440/426 only.......
Yes Dana as an option with the 727..since you're here Justin did the factory ever supply a Dana as standard equipment with auto trans, on anything? A12s or E-bods?

Yes Dana as an option with the 727..since you're here Justin did the factory ever supply a Dana as standard equipment with auto trans, on anything? A12s or E-bods?
I cannot comment on E bodies because I dont deal with them nor have interest in them......

Well droptop beat me to the punch.......The A12 package was an entity by itself....The 4.10 portion of the package is an "obvious" giveaway even if you're not sure which rear....

Wasn’t the A32 option a 69 and up option, not in 68?
You're correct the A32 is 69 only, thanks for the clarification.....
Some reason I labeled this document below for 68-70......
hamtramckhistorical69chargeroptionpackages.jpg

The 489 first year was 1969. So yes a 1968 came with a 742.
No Dana 60 in a 1968 and older automatic transmission B-body.
No 4.10 Dana in any 1968 Chrysler car from the factory. Over the counter gear swap only.

Last edited:
I am thinking about buying a 68 charger R/T hemi car, and found this one. As I have dug into it some, the seller sent me the following:

While building this car, had to find many parts. Received the car with many missing parts when purchased. The restoration took 3 years to build. Govier noted the car obtains its Original Fender Tag. Govier noted that the body numbers match. It has the correct Hemi 048 Radiator, Hemi 80 and 81 Torsion bars, Hemi fan 2863215 and the original leaf springs. It also has the correct 742 case for the 8 3/4 rear end. Govier noted the vin seems to have been replaced at some time. At some point in this cars life the original vin plate was lost. The replaced vin has been installed with the original style rivits. He verified that it is a true XS29J8B car which is what corresponds on the vin. The only part of the vin that he thought was not accurate were the last 4 digits, but he said it still was a true "J" code Hemi car and documented it in his authenticity paperwork. In 1968 the last numbers of the vin have nothing to do with the body numbers. The body numbers which are on the car, are located on the fender tag in 1968. He noted the fender tag is original and codes as a 426 hemi car, plus he took photos and noted the original hemi torque boxes, etc. on the car. Govier verified/ authenticated this as a Born 1968 426 Hemi Charger R/T, a True "J" code car.

I am balking because of the questionable VIN as noted. I know the VIN is generally located on the left side of the trunk under the trunk lid molding, and question why it was not checked. Is this something I should pursue, or put the peddle down and get out of Dodge. Thanks
I'd be sure to call Dave Wise with MMC Detroit. Dave's got great knowledge & experience with pre 69 Mopars & Barret Jackson uses Dave to verify all their rare Mopars. Check out his website
www.mmcdetroit.com

I'd be sure to call Dave Wise with MMC Detroit. Dave's got great knowledge & experience with pre 69 Mopars & Barret Jackson uses Dave to verify all their rare Mopars. Check out his website
www.mmcdetroit.com
Thanks! I have decided to pass on the car. Not wealthy enough to risk that much money should it turn out to have been stolen somewhere along the line. I don't suspect the current seller is knowingly trying to sell a car with a"modified" VIN, but its not worth a risk, even a small one. Thanks again.

Auto Transport Service
Back