• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Questions about Electronic Ignition Conversion

Skytrooper

1SG (Ret.)
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:56 PM
Reaction score
Good Morning and thanks in advance !

I am horrible at electronics and have decided to move away from points. The instruction sheet that came with the electronic ignition look fairly straight forward, but being an electronic imbecile...I have a few questions.
Please bear with me.
1. With the new ECU, does the old 2 wire voltage regulator remain ?
2. The new ballast resistor is about 1/3rd smaller than original, does either work with electronic ignition ?
3. do you remove the old wires to the ballast resistor from the terminal block and install the new ones there ?

I am sure to have at least a couple more questions as I work to complete this conversion.

Thank you

PS, 1971 440 HP engine in 71 charger.

I can help you with this Matt.

1. The voltage regulator remains the same.
2. You should use the ballast resistor that comes with the unit (but we could check them both for resistance one as you may want to use it for a spare).
3. Yes you can just move the wiring to the new ballast.

With everything connected before installing the distributor you can do 2 tests:

1. Key in run position take off the coil wire and leave it 1/4" away from a good ground.
Spin the shaft and it should have a good sharp spark.

2. Remove the yellow wire to the starter relay to disable the starter then same test with someone holding the key in the start position.

Then you just need to drop it in with #1 at the top of the compression stroke.

I like to time it with all the plugs out and use the starter but it's not really necessary in your case.

Ok, those tested good. Dropped dizzy in. When cranking, it is not trying to fire off. Spitting out the carb. 180 degrees off ?

Spitting fire out of the carb is where most tv shows start screaming “WE’RE GOING TO LOOSE THE SHOP!!” And start panicking. But no need to worry, turn the dizzy 180 and see what happens

I can help you with this Matt.

1. The voltage regulator remains the same.
2. You should use the ballast resistor that comes with the unit (but we could check them both for resistance one as you may want to use it for a spare).
3. Yes you can just move the wiring to the new ballast.

With everything connected before installing the distributor you can do 2 tests:

1. Key in run position take off the coil wire and leave it 1/4" away from a good ground.
Spin the shaft and it should have a good sharp spark.

2. Remove the yellow wire to the starter relay to disable the starter then same test with someone holding the key in the start position.

Then you just need to drop it in with #1 at the top of the compression stroke.

I like to time it with all the plugs out and use the starter but it's not really necessary in your case.
Agree with most of this, exception being the voltage regulator. Yes, it'll work with the old points style regulator -
but if you read the instructions carefully, they do (or at least they used to) strongly recommend conversion
to an electronic regulator (constant voltage to the ECU is a good thing, you know).
In fact, Ma made an electronic regulator specifically for this, utilizing the old wiring in the harness so you didn't
have to do anything new other than swapping out units.
This critter right here:
dcc-3690732.jpg

Agree with most of this, exception being the voltage regulator. Yes, it'll work with the old points style regulator -
but if you read the instructions carefully, they do (or at least they used to) strongly recommend conversion
to an electronic regulator (constant voltage to the ECU is a good thing, you know).
In fact, Ma made an electronic regulator specifically for this, utilizing the old wiring in the harness so you didn't
have to do anything new other than swapping out units.
This critter right here:
View attachment 1467498
I have one in my parts room... (along with alot of other stuff)
He's made good progress but I don't want to be a spoiler here.

71 would already have a solid state regulator, no need to change it.

She is running like a sewing machine !! Many Thanks to all who shared their knowledge with me, it helped more than you can imagine ! I appreciate everyone who has been helping me ! Thanks !!

Thanks also to Don Frelier for his constant "On Call" help line ! T2R9 for the fuel pump pushrod. It is working great !! Now I only used the electric pump to prime the fuel system !

She is running like a sewing machine !! Many Thanks to all who shared their knowledge with me, it helped more than you can imagine ! I appreciate everyone who has been helping me ! Thanks !!

Thanks also to Don Frelier for his constant "On Call" help line ! T2R9 for the fuel pump pushrod. It is working great !! Now I only used the electric pump to prime the fuel system !
That's just freakin' awesome! :thumbsup:
congrats.jpg

Ed, Don can tell you that this car has been fighting me since I first brought it home. It drew first blood on him, leaving him to get a mess of stiches. It has wounded me numerous times, but its real forte is keeping me from enjoying it. Last year I was ready to throw in the towel, but without any interest...I had no choice but to continue. I had too much time and money into it to send to the junkyard....although I really wanted to so the demons could be exorcised.
Anyway, I obviously persevered and kept plugging away at it. Now, I am just waiting for the "other shoe to drop" . Hopefully things will go well. Who knows ?

Auto Transport Service
Back