• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Questions about the stock 4-wheel drum brakes

Why in the hell could they not have done "studs out" to mount the m/c? Never understood that.
Sorry, you're right I was thinking of my 66 which is the easiest thing ever.
My suggestion is take the seat out, beats trying to wedge through the door opening and over the sill plate.
upload_2021-3-22_12-14-7.png

The way I recognize cars that I have fooled with the M/C on is that the two top bolts that go in, I reverse them so that all 4 are out if I have to remove the M/C again. I agree those 2 are tuff.

I just purchased both Raybestos and AC/Delco wheel cylinders for my ABody, all made in China. Don't get your hopes up per post #15 that NAPA carries USA made components. If they do, please let me know. You can easily rebuild wheel cylinders, but then again, where is the rebuild kit manufactured?
The only reason I'd think they do are the pics they have for each.
From their website:
front wc.png

Front

rear wc.png

Rear

Eh, for what it's worth anyways...

Sorry, you're right I was thinking of my 66 which is the easiest thing ever.
My suggestion is take the seat out, beats trying to wedge through the door opening and over the sill plate.
View attachment 1087257
Oh yeah, if I gotta go under there, that bucket seat is gone first. :thumbsup:

Understand please - I have no idea what's inside the drums on this car.
The brakes were supposedly "gone through" several years ago when I was in the hospital
by someone trusted by someone I trusted, that sort of deal.
Hey, my wife was trying to do me a nice-nice and I was busy not dying, so I wasn't going
to complain, right? :)
The guy who did them has built many gorgeous race and street Mopars and knows his
stuff, but all he pretty much had to report was that he had replaced the linings "with whatever
he could get quick at the local parts store."
Yeah....I'm thinking cardboard.

The only reason I'd think they do are the pics they have for each.
From their website:
View attachment 1087258
Front

View attachment 1087259
Rear

Eh, for what it's worth anyways...
I ran into the same problem about 3 years ago when I rebuilt my brake system. I got all excited when I saw NAPA's pics of the wheel cylinders. When I received them they were China made.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out for you.

I ran into the same problem about 3 years ago when I rebuilt my brake system. I got all excited when I saw NAPA's pics of the wheel cylinders. When I received them they were China made.
I get excited when I see pictures of Cheryl Ladd
upload_2021-3-22_13-53-18.png

Oh yeah, I'm very dubious of the claim for sure - but since I know the fella that runs the local
NAPA, there's gonna be some face time before any money is laid down for those for sure. :)

FYI, this fella Craig in New York or jersey claims he has NOS shoes , correct springs and such but have talked to him couple of times , but maybe you will not disturb his meals! Hahaha! Very independent sort ! Which is not all bad ! One other thing , if you don’t mine , when you turn you frt drums , take them with hubs installed or you may not like results !

This posting is one of the reasons that cars mostly come with 4 wheel disc now. None of these problems... And they stop on a dime and don't fade.

This posting is one of the reasons that cars mostly come with 4 wheel disc now. None of these problems... And they stop on a dime and don't fade.
No more problem than any brake system. I grew up with drum brakes, learned how to work on them. I trust them to stop many of my cars. If you think disc brakes are foolproof and always work correctly, I need to smoke what you have. Disc brakes have their own set of problems just like anything you work on. I went through a lot of problems on my Superbird before I got that system working correctly. Sticking calipers, bad residual valve and a bleeding process like no other Mopar. Literally had to gravity bleed the lines because the residual valve is destroyed by the pump up and bleed, or a vacuum bleeder.

I wouldn't turn the drums unless the pedal pulsates.
My dad would never turn either drums or discs when replacing linings - with the resultant pulsating pedal
and squealing brake woes invariably following.
I always have a fresh surface for fresh brake linings to break in with, whether the metal is new or machined.
Just makes sense, for a lot of reasons.

Dang, nobody is taking a shot at much of my original questions yet. :(
Trying again:

1a. The factory drums are the finned type in the rear (11" x 2.5") and non-finned
front (11" x 3") with a spring around them, correct?

1b.Further, we can't use c-body 11x2.5 rear drums because of the extra "hooding"
on them, yes?

1c. Are the currently available "Bendix" new finned rear drums worth a spit?

1d. Where would one find the springs for the front drums new?

2. What year was asbestos eliminated from brake linings (and if known, what were
the part numbers for "the good stuff")? I recall even "back in the day" the
manufacturers tried going with sintered metallic linings in an effort to replicate the
stopping ability of the former asbestos linings...with dubious results.
Must I use the linings available from musclecarbrakes.com to get shoes that
have actual "bite" like the factory linings did?

3. If I find new, but very aged components (such as wheel cylinders, master
cylinder, etc.), do they deteriorate on the shelf to a point where they are no
longer trustworthy?

4a. Is the master cylinder for all drums the one with a 1" bore? Is there any
difference amongst those available with that bore (identifiable by various
different lids, example)?

4b. Is the Bendix-branded reproduction master cylinder currently available from many outlets
Chinese? Is it worth a spit? Anyone actually using one of them?

Dang, nobody is taking a shot at much of my original questions yet. :(
Trying again:

1a. The factory drums are the finned type in the rear (11" x 2.5") and non-finned
front (11" x 3") with a spring around them, correct?
My '68 with June 5th build date and the 11" x 2 - 1/2 rear shoes does not have the finned drums on the rear.
All 4 drums has the springs.

1b.Further, we can't use c-body 11x2.5 rear drums because of the extra "hooding"
on them, yes?

1c. Are the currently available "Bendix" new finned rear drums worth a spit?

1d. Where would one find the springs for the front drums new?
When I was doing the restoration on mine (2015 - 2019) I saw the springs for sale, but I cannot recall where. It could have been Ebay. That will take some research.

2. What year was asbestos eliminated from brake linings (and if known, what were
the part numbers for "the good stuff")? I recall even "back in the day" the
manufacturers tried going with sintered metallic linings in an effort to replicate the
stopping ability of the former asbestos linings...with dubious results.
Must I use the linings available from musclecarbrakes.com to get shoes that
have actual "bite" like the factory linings did?

3. If I find new, but very aged components (such as wheel cylinders, master
cylinder, etc.), do they deteriorate on the shelf to a point where they are no
longer trustworthy?
I would not use 50 + year old wheel cylinders/ master cylinders shelf units without replacing the seals. My personal opinion is that the rubber would break down once the brake fluid hits them. Just my 2 cents.

4a. Is the master cylinder for all drums the one with a 1" bore? Is there any
difference amongst those available with that bore (identifiable by various
different lids, example)?

4b. Is the Bendix-branded reproduction master cylinder currently available from many outlets
Chinese? Is it worth a spit? Anyone actually using one of them?

Have you looked at. http://musclecarbrakes.com/
I personally know someone who did all four drums including wheel cylinders and he sure let everyone know how great they worked.
I know a few people on fbbo have used them also.

Have you looked at. http://musclecarbrakes.com/
I personally know someone who did all four drums including wheel cylinders and he sure let everyone know how great they worked.
I know a few people on fbbo have used them also.
Yep, we've discussed those folks and by all accounts here (including our own @Dennis H ), they're
good stuff and good people.

Auto Transport Service
Back