• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Questions about the stock 4-wheel drum brakes

Let me try to help with all that, thanks Bob!
(Bob's answers in BOLD below)...

Dang, nobody is taking a shot at much of my original questions yet. :(
Trying again:

1a. The factory drums are the finned type in the rear (11" x 2.5") and non-finned
front (11" x 3") with a spring around them, correct?

My '68 with June 5th build date and the 11" x 2 - 1/2 rear shoes does not have the finned drums on the rear.
All 4 drums has the springs.

1b.Further, we can't use c-body 11x2.5 rear drums because of the extra "hooding"
on them, yes?

1c. Are the currently available "Bendix" new finned rear drums worth a spit?

1d. Where would one find the springs for the front drums new?
When I was doing the restoration on mine (2015 - 2019) I saw the springs for sale, but I cannot recall where. It could have been Ebay. That will take some research.

2. What year was asbestos eliminated from brake linings (and if known, what were
the part numbers for "the good stuff")? I recall even "back in the day" the
manufacturers tried going with sintered metallic linings in an effort to replicate the
stopping ability of the former asbestos linings...with dubious results.
Must I use the linings available from musclecarbrakes.com to get shoes that
have actual "bite" like the factory linings did?

3. If I find new, but very aged components (such as wheel cylinders, master
cylinder, etc.), do they deteriorate on the shelf to a point where they are no
longer trustworthy?

I would not use 50 + year old wheel cylinders/ master cylinders shelf units without replacing the seals. My personal opinion is that the rubber would break down once the brake fluid hits them. Just my 2 cents.

4a. Is the master cylinder for all drums the one with a 1" bore? Is there any
difference amongst those available with that bore (identifiable by various
different lids, example)?

4b. Is the Bendix-branded reproduction master cylinder currently available from many outlets
Chinese? Is it worth a spit? Anyone actually using one of them?

I will be totally shocked if you can get USA made wheel cylinders from NAPA. It's been a couple of years now since Raybestos switched to making them in China.
I am fairly certain nobody is making the springs that go around the perimeter. I had 10 or so used ones that I sold off last year. DIdn't take long to move them.

I just recently bought a set of original 11X3 front drums and a set original shoes from one of are members and will have them this Wednesday or Thursday.

@mobileparts

Craig has been selling this stuff for many years.

He convinced me that this is the way to go despite the asbestos shoes that way better than the repops.

I bought the NOS wheel studs too from him.

Last edited:
Sounds like some history Ed.. :rolleyes:

I bought drum harmonic springs... I think from Jamie, I'll have a look see and update.

Oh.. and before you hurt your hands, here's how to install them !

Ok, must have missed them. I'll keep my mouth shut now, lol.
Oh no ya don't. Don't let ol' Flyboy get yer goat like that!
That video he made where he's all cocky about installing those (if you listen, he even brags
about how quickly he does it in the video) cracked me up when I first saw it, because it had
the look of one of those videos where something goes hilariously wrong -
I half expected the spring to come flying back up and smack him in the chin. :lol:

As shown in the Mega Parts picture, pretty sure $40 is a pair... and the $12 each at Classics are for CHEBY's so of course they're cheaper... may not fit either, but who knows.

As shown in the Mega Parts picture, pretty sure $40 is a pair... and the $12 each at Classics are for CHEBY's so of course they're cheaper... may not fit either, but who knows.
Eh, I figure a spring for an 11" drum gotta be pretty universal...
but regardless, I don't do business with Classic. Ever.

Oh no ya don't. Don't let ol' Flyboy get yer goat like that!
That video he made where he's all cocky about installing those (if you listen, he even brags
about how quickly he does it in the video) cracked me up when I first saw it, because it had
the look of one of those videos where something goes hilariously wrong -
I half expected the spring to come flying back up and smack him in the chin. :lol:

Oh, I kind of like our old Flyboy and would be proud to consider him a buddy of mine. That's why this forum is so great. So many things to learn from other members :drinks:.

1. The factory drums are the finned type in the rear (11" x 2.5") and non-finned
front (11" x 3") with a spring around them, correct?
As far as I know, in 68 all drums, front and rear, were non finned and all had the dampening springs. Not sure when the non dampening finned drums came out.

Auto Transport Service
Back