• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quick '62 K-frame question...

icetech

Local time
11:15 AM
Reaction score
So.. i keep seeing stuff about having to change the k-frame from 62 to the newer angled mounts... is there a reason for this other than using the newer mounts? I know the engine goes back like 1.5" but i don't see why that's a major deal in a beater.. Just don't want to try to hunt one down here in lower michigan unless i really need to...

P.S. the transmount on this thing is a trip.. didn't expect a giant spring

I'm curious about this as well..... going for the popcorn bucket right now!!

I know oil pans used to be a problem, but now that there is a reissued max wedge pan copy, that may have alleviated a problem there. Someone will chime in with the proper info.

Early 62 K frames were different then late 62 to 65 a 63 to 65 K frame will not move the engine back. 66 and up move engine back. 6cyl K frames were different then v8.

Early 62 K frames were different then late 62 to 65 a 63 to 65 K frame will not move the engine back. 66 and up move engine back. 6cyl K frames were different then v8.

Thanks for the clarification on the engine moving thing... still curious why people say you pretty much have to do it though..

Thanks for the clarification on the engine moving thing... still curious why people say you pretty much have to do it though
You don't have to. Just a racer thing to help weight distribution. 63-65 V8 K's work just fine.As stated above the early 62 K's had different mounts that may make a engine swap difficult finding the right parts.
I'm not sure what is out there for parts needed.

You don't have to. Just a racer thing to help weight distribution. 63-65 V8 K's work just fine.As stated above the early 62 K's had different mounts that may make a engine swap difficult finding the right parts.
I'm not sure what is out there for parts needed.
ah k.. cool then.. i'm just going poly to LA.. should be able to just move the mounts over

66 and up move engine back
On an A-body moving the engine back helps with the drivers side, but gets into issues with the trans tunnel and firewall pretty quick. How are these spaces on a B-body?? Still pretty good?? TIA

On an A-body moving the engine back helps with the drivers side, but gets into issues with the trans tunnel and firewall pretty quick. How are these spaces on a B-body?? Still pretty good?? TIA
Not sure honestly.. going to hopefully try fitting the engine in the next month and pray the headers will fit :) I know with the stock k-frame i have like 3" between the back of the motor and the firewall.. makes getting trans bolts easy to get out :)

Here ya go.. i think my car might be a early build or something.. everytime i looked up 62 mounts i saw more normal ones, this one has a square rubber biscuit that is mounted to the trans then sits on that spring and a bolt with a long shoulder holds it together, i couldn't find a mount, looked up 1961 mounts and found one right away.. i also have floating power motor mounts...
It's upside down in the pic...
And i ca't wait to have this **** all clean, everytime i touch this car i end up looking like a grease monster

2023-05-28 13.38.19.jpg

Here ya go.. i think my car might be a early build or something.. everytime i looked up 62 mounts i saw more normal ones, this one has a square rubber biscuit that is mounted to the trans then sits on that spring and a bolt with a long shoulder holds it together, i couldn't find a mount, looked up 1961 mounts and found one right away.. i also have floating power motor mounts...
And i ca't wait to have this **** all clean, everytime i touch this car i end up looking like a grease monster

View attachment 1471326
I have a similar "spring thing" trans mount on my 1962 - 300. Kinda looks like the trans would walk all over the place under load.

I assume yours did not have that feature?? Ive never seen one like it.

You're correct. And the rubber one that's on my '62 Dodge is a little different than the later years also. It's a little hard to find the exact one. They look similar to the later ones but won't work. The later ones have the metal bracket centered under the rubber block. This is the one I have.

Screenshot_20230528_213111_Gallery.jpg

View attachment 1471326
my 62 wagon is like this... looks strange to me too. can't remember seeing a set up like this on any of my 62's before. but i will have to go to the later mount since im putting the 833 in it. Has the square engine mounts that go on the flat spot on the frame for the mounts. my 62 crew cab is way differnt.

my 62 wagon is like this... looks strange to me too. can't remember seeing a set up like this on any of my 62's before. but i will have to go to the later mount since im putting the 833 in it. Has the square engine mounts that go on the flat spot on the frame for the mounts. my 62 crew cab is way differnt.
Yeah, a new set of those mounts is like $800.... so good call to swap out :)

i have 3 sets of the early engine mounts so il use them on the old K frame. I didn't even try finding the early trans mount...lol

im thinking thats why we don't see anything on the early 62's. nobody uses them mostly for that reason. im staying with it mostly because the poly is a under rated mill and its what was in it.
If maw mopar would have stuck with it and made a tweek here and there. a 300+ HP 318 stock would have been in everything. Other than the overall size of it. I see no reason for dropping the mill from the line up.
.... JMO.

Yeah, the change to the LA from poly was when the Dart became a A body. Tho 63 (Slant Six only)was the first year, the LA was in the 64 model year. Had to do with space and weight.Or the bean counters.

Yeah, the change to the LA from poly was when the Dart became a A body. Tho 63 (Slant Six only)was the first year, the LA was in the 64 model year. Had to do with space and weight.Or the bean counters.
ya. the bean guys had a hand in it. cost alot less to do the LA valve train.

i have 3 sets of the early engine mounts so il use them on the old K frame. I didn't even try finding the early trans mount...lol
The Trans mount... $22 new... my early mounts were starting to split, i drilled a hole through the drivers and ran a bolt through.. solved :)

Auto Transport Service
Back