• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quick question... seam sealer or paint first

99ss

Local time
5:14 AM
Reaction score
Interior of the car... should I paint it first and them seam seal or seal it then paint?

I used picklex20 on it then I was going to use zero rust over that then paint

Interior of the car... should I paint it first and them seam seal or seal it then paint?

I think the other two posts thought you meant sealer coat primer. I think your question is when to put the "seam seal" filler for cracks and seams.

My suggestion is seal seams then paint. Of course the seam sealer goes over the primer/sealer coat.

Randy

yes.... that was what I wanted to know... The factory had the seam sealer gooped all over everything after it was painted ... but I was thinking it would seal better if it was seam sealed and then painted.. as the paint would help to seal it as well.
2k primer then seam seal then paint is the plan.. sound good?

In my interior, I epoxy primed, mid build primer (where needed), seam sealed, sealer, paint, clear. On my exterior, it will basically be the same except the seam sealer will go on after all the sanding is done. Right before the sealer and paint.

Epoxy - seam seal - epoxy - then paint.

There's really no need for a 2K on the interior of a car.

the factory used to seal the bare metel its best to prime (epoxy primer)then seal and paint then it will be water proff and water will not get behind it. were the factrys didn't. do both sides. if you can.......only epoxy primer is water proff not liquor if you can still buy it....it been 20yr.sence I painted............Artie

I was going to use the 2k as its what I have here.. I would have to buy the epoxy and money is low

2K is a leveler you should always Epoxy first, Then 2K, Then epoxy again but reduced as a sealer, Then base, Then Clear. IMO

Sorry old thread but still thought I'd add my 2 cents.

Auto Transport Service
Back