• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quick Spectra tank question..

icetech

Local time
2:00 AM
Reaction score
Starting to order parts to put the car together as i get the bottom cleaned/painted (still no engine, priorities are on track) :) I have read that spectra is the way to go.. looking at their web page i see one tank listed

But doesn't say anything about being galvanized, are all of their tanks galvanized or did i pick the wrong one? (only one i saw) I did notice this uses the big later style gromet and not o-ring, i believe i read that isn't an issue. Just want to make sure. I literally had to rip my filler neck out of the old tank, the o-ring bung is still attached to the neck, fun times.

Also, Will need a new sending unit, go with Spectra also? or is there someone else that makes a better unit? thanks guys.

P.S. i just saw sending units come in 3/8 and 5/16, are there differences in the car models or is one just for a manufacturing thing?

Not sure on the tanks but the 3/8 sending unit was installed on the cars with 440hp and 426 hemi and 5/16 on the rest.

Not sure on the tanks but the 3/8 sending unit was installed on the cars with 440hp and 426 hemi and 5/16 on the rest.
Thank you, will get the 5/16.. my car is a wussy :)

Also save your OEM sending unit tank ring the new ones are really thin and usually leak.

Also save your OEM sending unit tank ring the new ones are really thin and usually leak.
Mines already gone... i used a 5lb hammer and chisel and still couldn't budge it, ended up mangling it nicely though.. The gas that was in there for 40 years had turned into almost a thick rubbery glue and has pretty much stuck the neck and everything else it touched to the tank. Will have to take my chance with the replacement.

Found a place 10 miles from me that makes the mat for between the tank/body.. so that's nice :) going to go with the rubber one instead of tar paper unless anyone has a reason not to?

Spectra tanks are made about 50 miles away from me in Stratford, Ontario, but do not sell direct to public. They are galvanized steel, like original. I got the best deal on one from RockAuto. I saved $200.00 Can. over buying from local jobbers. The tank went back and forth over the border twice. Makes no sense to me!

Spectra tanks are made about 50 miles away from me in Stratford, Ontario, but do not sell direct to public. They are galvanized steel, like original. I got the best deal on one from RockAuto. I saved $200.00 Can. over buying from local jobbers. The tank went back and forth over the border twice. Makes no sense to me!
Thanks, just wanted to make sure they are all galvanized :)

P.S. Just ordered the last one on Amazon for $207 shipped... I would rather not use amazon but due to my work credit card i get like $500 a month in free points.. Trying to use it for car parts cause money is money :)

Will order a sending unit when i get closed to reassembly, or when it comes back down to a decent price

P.S. LOVE rock auto.. they ship from a warehouse about a hour from me, and their prices are awesome.. Was looking at rear brake parts today for a total rebuild and it's soo cheap... hate having to buy the hub removal tool.. but that's life :)

Spectra fuel tanks are not galvanized, as stated on their web site they are built to manufacturer's specs using Ni-Terne Steel, the same coating also used on factory brake lines.

Spectra fuel tanks are not galvanized, as stated on their web site they are built to manufacturer's specs using Ni-Terne Steel, the same coating also used on factory brake lines.
ahhh k... well... it is what it is.... I won't be driving in weather anyway... thanks

ahhh k... well... it is what it is.... I won't be driving in weather anyway... thanks
It's okay, the coating is meant to protect the steel and prevent rust. It's basically a high lead/tin ratio solder that coats the steel and you know solder won't rust. :)

THIS ^

Auto Transport Service
Back