• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quiet the exhaust a little

Paul_G

Local time
3:28 PM
Reaction score
My 73 has a 383 engine with a little bit of cam in it, 230 duration 480 lift cam, long tube headers, a new 2 1/2" full exhaust with X pipe, and an old pair of Cherry Bomb turbo mufflers. I have used sound prevention and heat insulation material on the floors and roof. On the highway the car is still too loud inside to cruise long distances comfortably. A lot of it is wind noise I know. I would like it a bit quieter.

I dont know if the Cherry Bombs are the entire cause, if changing to different mufflers will help? Adding resonators? Just would prefer not to totally restrict it if possible.

I like Hemi mufflers and make sure the exhaust/tailpipes extend beyond the rear bumper.

Was just resurfacing an old thread on this yesterday, you should look it up as a lot of members posted good info. I liken muffler selection to reading a menu at a Greek restaurant! Endless selections. My car has headers, 3" with X pipe - the 3" would be necessary if my ride was pumping 100 more HP. Anyway it has Flowmasters - sounds really neat; but way loud. Some members suggested ESC (or ECS?) or Accurate exhaust for factory style/sound so I'm looking at those now. The former is way pricy but members say they like 'em a lot. There's so many brands (made a long list) but don't want to end up with something too close to what I have on it...so looks like one or the other with me...

I would lose the cherry bombs and look at DynoMax super turbos, they're on the quiet side but not to quiet.

Do you have full tail pipes? Best move to reduce inside noise

2.5" Dynomax Superturbo's are a nice muffler. Not loud, no drone.

I've run MANY cars with cherry bombs, no mufflers, open headers (cops loved that)....but now, good old stock Walker or other "stock type" mufflers for me. If you want "no restriction" put a set of electric cutouts on it (seriously)

The Dynomax superturbo mufflers are fairly quiet and flow pretty good. Also not that expensive.
A stock replacement type muffler will be fairly quiet, but usually are 2-1/4" in/out.

Dynomax superturbo mufflers for me they have good sound and not too loud and no drone while driving down the road.

Adding some resonators in the tailpipes will help quiet it down a bunch as well.

I don't know that muffler selection always eliminates drone? I had Flowmasters once.. bad drone so I decided on a traditional glass packed oval muffler for my current ride much like a Dynomax, no drone until I went from side exit to full length? Seems there's some science to it? I've had exhaust drone before that simply securing the exhaust better cured.. don't know? Myself I'll be adding resonators. I also can't help but notice nearly all modern cars come with both mufflers and resonators.

You have triple pass turbos now. That is what lots of people who have straight thru or flowmasters that are too loud go TO.
If you want it quieter, you will probably have to go to a physically larger triple pass (hemi muffler, or walker quiet power), and keep the same size pipe for good flow, or...
add a pair of resonators in the tailpipes. Kinda depends on how much room you have for the resonators.

It's funny, your build is close to mine! 383 with a 23/30 on a .505+ lift with stock manifolds, 2-1/4", no X, with cherry bomb Vortex's on them and it has a cool sound to me, maybe it's the smaller pipes? I also don't have all the deading material that you do, and I'm comfortable on the H-way with it as is. The Hemi or the D-max as above would work good too. Good Luck

Anyone recall offhand what brand mufflers mopar put on their cars? I recall my '70 Cuda and '73 Challenger had pretty quiet exhaust (actually back in my younger days too quiet for me) both had large resonators on them. Resonators on mine would make sense ('63 Ply) but no room for those running along the fuel tank (3" pipes).

I read on here someone mentioning about x-pipe equalizing the exhaust pulses

And they can come out out at the same time increase exhaust noise/drown, and suggested having differing mufflers to address it

might just try one muffler change at a time and drive it, see if that’s a thing
(if you get other mufflers and are doing the install yourself)

will see if I can find it

Those sound awesome - but not sure how much quieter those will be than my Flowmasters.
Which Flowmasters do you have? WW2 was quieter than FM 40's. Super 50's are fairly quiet, and they still have the FM tone. I have 20" Super Turbo's on a 406 Chevelle, and they are very quiet. They will let you know if your weather-stripping needs to be replaced.

Which Flowmasters do you have? WW2 was quieter than FM 40's. Super 50's are fairly quiet, and they still have the FM tone. I have 20" Super Turbo's on a 406 Chevelle, and they are very quiet. They will let you know if your weather-stripping needs to be replaced.
Thanks - can't recall right off which I have - have to check - lol mine let you know even with weather stripping!

Auto Transport Service
Back