• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

R/T re-do

sixpkrt

Local time
6:58 PM
Reaction score
Can't believe it's been more than six years since I last posted on FBBO. Time sure fly's as you get older.
Been spending most my time over on FCBO, posting and doing some build threads. Also been putting on the annual C Body Show at Volo since 2017. The big Mopars may not be for everyone, but I'm glad to say that those big ole' C bodies are starting to get the recognition they deserve.
Those are the cruisers....but this is the driver.....

RT Front end shot.jpg

RT_Morris 2021.jpg

This summer I was out hot rodding around and heard something break, and before shutting down the engine immediately, I heard a noise like a tin can bouncing around inside the engine. Oh-no! was my first thought! Never heard anything like it before.
It's been 12 years since the last rebuild, and the engine was beginning to feel and look tired, so the decision was made to pull it apart to find out what happened, and then to freshen up the engine with some new go-fast goodies.
I know the R/T's are a rare bird and some would only want to trailer them from show to show, but this R/T is a driver, and that's the way they it has always been meant to be for me.
So, with the cold weather going to be on its way soon around here, the timing is good to start a new project. 
002.jpg

012.jpg

39.jpg
041.jpg

After pulling the engine/trans, found the culprit from the best I can tell. One of the clips in a lifter in #3 had broken loose. It didn't appear like it caused any damage to the .501 cam, but it will be getting a new cam and set of lifters as part of the rebuild that is planned.
046.jpg
051.jpg

While the engine is out, it'll be a good time to paint the engine bay, get some new hoses, and fix some electrical bugs that has been put off for some time.
It's just more work, but why not?
59.jpg

61.jpg

One small cosmetic detail that already is done, was gluing the grill insert back together where it had split from the inner surround section.
New parts have started to arrive over the last couple days, and more will be arriving over the next week or so. There seems to be a lot of items on back order from various vendor outlets.
I'll keep this thread going throughout the rebuild and may ask for some advice time to time. Hope to not be gone for another 6 years from FBBO.

Welcome back also, that's a sweet R/T and driver. The best to you on the rebuild.

Welcome and good luck. Great idea to take care of other tasks while that big lump is out.

Did you have a bent push rod to go with that?
Must have had some luck on my side. No bent push rods.
75.jpg

Some parts started to arrive while I begin working on prepping the engine bay for paint and cleaning up parts.
My wiring needs some help.

53.jpg
71.jpg
76.jpg

77.jpg

Picked up a few parts from the powder coater yesterday.

Mahle connecting rod bearings will be used this time around.

78.jpg

79.jpg

80.jpg

Last night I got the connecting rod bearings installed and torqued, put the pickup tube back in and then new Comp cam.
Today its the timing gear. Decided to advance the cam to .03 for better low-end torque.
81.jpg

84.jpg
85.jpg
86.jpg
87.jpg

88.jpg

Very Nice R/T! Make sure you test your thermostat! I had one that didn't work, I suggest a Stant 370-180.

Will do. It's the same thermostat I used in the engine on the last rebuild

If you drill a 3/16" hole in your thermostat, you won't get air pockets in your block when refilling with coolant. Won't affect operation of thermostat.

Good to know.
Last rebuild on this engine was 12 years ago.
We all know how parts have gotten worse because of cheap labor and parts suppliers consolidation.

Auto Transport Service
Back