• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

R134A issues and alternatives

70chall440

Local time
5:00 AM
Reaction score
I have only recently discovered that the Gov of this state (Washington) signed into law a bill that bans the sale of R134A (actually happened last year). Like many, I own a lot of AC equipped cars but most notably the 71 Charger I am building will have AC.

I am now pondering how to charge this car and perhaps how to recharge some of the others as it becomes necessary. I see that there are alternatives such as R1234YF which I "believe" is still available here.

Looking for any information or perhaps just a discussion on the subject.

I still have a jug of R12 and only 1 ride to use it on, a 92 1st gen Dodge 250. I need to find a cycling switch with the capilary tube but have it jury rigged for now.

R-22 is way worse, now manufacture is banned countrywide. The wholesalers stockpiled it for a very long time. Why should you be any different?? One hobbyist is NOT going to destroy the planet. I saw a website saying even in Washington, the stores have failed to pull it from the shelves. Go get some, lol.

R134A Buy as much as you can.While you can.

I use stuff called envirosafe r134 replacement and freeze 12. It's a touch colder than pure r134a. It has some flammables in it but I don't care about that. I can snap a pic of the can, got it off of ebay.

Last edited:
Hundreds of thousands of high tonnage chillers out there running 134a. I’m talking about chillers, centrifugal and screw machines, running between 250 and 1500 lbs of 134a. 42-44* chilled water.

1234yf is about 40 bucks an oz and is not able to be retrofitted to r134 or r12 systems. I doubt we will see anything to replace 134 for a bit.

1234yf is about 40 bucks an oz and is not able to be retrofitted to r134 or r12 systems. I doubt we will see anything to replace 134 for a bit.
That was my next question, is there anything (not banned) that I can use in vehicles that already have R134A?

I use stuff called envirotech freeze 12. It's a touch colder than pure r134a. It has some flammables in it but I don't care about that. I can snap a pic of the can, got it off of ebay.
I am interested to check it out

I use stuff called envirotech freeze 12. It's a touch colder than pure r134a. It has some flammables in it but I don't care about that. I can snap a pic of the can, got it off of ebay.
I just looked that up and it appears to be a spray can that you use to clean keyboards and the like.....

I just looked that up and it appears to be a spray can that you use to clean keyboards and the like.....
I will go out to the garage in a few minutes and snap a pic, then you can search ebay. I buy it by the case.

Move out of the state. Your politicians are idiots.

Wait, forget it. That’s true everywhere.

I wish I could (and yes they are idiots) but I am too far in, I have two 40x60 shops full of Mopars not to mention a lot of other crap, plus I am close to Ft Lewis (aka JBLM) where I retired and still have teammates and friends along with the services on base.

20220817_211911.jpg
20220817_212424.jpg

The bottom pick is what I ordered a case of. I don't believe they still make the top one, but it's the same stuff. I couldn't find a fitting to screw onto that small oil charge can, so that's why I still have it. Hope this helps.

Thats helpful, thanks. I just looked it up and a case of 8oz enviro-safe is like $100

Auto Transport Service
Back