• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rack and pinion question

Ryguytoodry

Local time
3:06 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone retro-fitted a rack and pinion setup from another car on a b-body? Preferably a '65...

I'm on a budget haha, just seeing if there's anything I can swap in, even with some modification.

Unisteer, it bolts in. Do some research on it before you lay out the cash.

i just put in a Firm Feel level 2 box and Fast Ratio pitman and idler arms in my Road Runner. Very happy with the way it drives now.

- - - Updated - - -

I have/ am using the unisteer in my 69 coronet,318. Pros= bolts in, pump mounts stock location, hose routing easy, have firm tight steering, Lifetime warranty on gear. Cons=drain plug in rear of pan almost touched bracket= relocated to side of pan, have to cut steering shaft to adapt u-joints, doesn't turn as sharp as factory, the solid u-joints seem to transfer road vibees thru steering(plan to try rubber insulated joints), hard to find headers to fit (trying to find those now). At the time I bought several years wasn't alot of stuff out there to firm up steering, but now I think I would go with stock style gear upgrades . With all of this I am ok with the purchase car drives/handles great.

Auto Transport Service
Back