• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radiator & Fan set up Recommendation for Gen 3 Hemi '68 Charger

Aron

Local time
10:24 AM
Reaction score
Hey All,
As always, thank you for all of the amazing advice to date, don't know where I'd be on this project without this forum and all of the help. Gas tank and fuel line set up has gone well, built my own PTFE A/N lines (need to test them at some point) and ran them where they should go. Waiting for a few more parts to complete the connection to the fuel regulator and then finish out the dead head system you all helped me create.

In the meantime, I need to order more parts for the mock up: Specifically a radiator and dual fan set up - and they need to be black in color. The cooling demand here is going to be for a Gen 3 6.1 liter hemi that is built out, close to 392 of actual displacement, around 550-600 HP. I won't be tracking this car, so it's not going to be some insane level of demand/performance.

In terms of other requirements: My goal is to keep the engine bay as clean as possible, like, Ring Brothers/Foose clean, and the wiring will be hidden (likely in a tray between the rad support and the front grille).

Here is a radiator I found that fits the opening and matches up to the original bolt holes...thoughts? Is there something fundamentally different about how to cool a Gen3 motor vs an original motor?

Radiator 1968 Dodge Charger - 7.2 Liter V8 440Cid Radiator Black Powder Coat, 3 Row, 17 1/2 X 22 Core, In/Out | Radiator Express

And here is a fan shroud set up, again, interested in your thoughts:

KKS375 Radiator Shroud 12" Fan Fit 68-72 Dodge Charger Coronet Plymouth Mopar V8 | eBay

I'm betting someone has already done this and done it really well, would love to 'copy and paste' your set up.

Thanks again - pictures of where it's at enclosed.

PXL_20230116_175855270.jpg

PXL_20230116_175905560.jpg

PXL_20230116_175846022.jpg

Last edited:
Take a look at the factory SRT8 radiator and fan package. I use one that was for an '08 charger. It is a dual fan setup and I am running it on a modified 6.1L in 117 desert days with the AC on with no issues.
You will need to make brackets but then you should be able to use the factory LX hoses as well. When I did the LX/ '68 I had to notch the lower part of the core support as it is taller than the old style.
I can get some dimensions for you if you are interested.

26" Factory Hemi Radiator, Factory Shroud, Custom Catch Tank, Modern (06 Ram 5.7) Clutch, Reverse Rotation (if memory serves) Fan to fit Shroud, Custom (Drill Press) Thermostat Neck. Never, ever a burp.

Champion cooling 3 row with their fan shroud. I got twin spal fans to go with it. Works great so far. I had it painted black as well.

Here is a pic of the radiator I bought from Bouchillon back in 2014 for my 68 Charger with 6.1. It comes with shroud and two electric fans with wiring and trans cooler. Spendy but it does the job. My car has never went above 180 degrees even with the A/C on. It was bare alum and I painted it with Eastwood's radiator black. The fans are noisier than I would like but I'm happy with it.

100_8147.JPG

I’ve been using Spal twin 12” for years. They fit perfectly on a 26” core. US radiator has American built radiators that have stamped tanks and look much better than some of the cheap offshore units I’ve seen.

Here is a pic of the radiator I bought from Bouchillon back in 2014 for my 68 Charger with 6.1. It comes with shroud and two electric fans with wiring and trans cooler. Spendy but it does the job. My car has never went above 180 degrees even with the A/C on. It was bare alum and I painted it with Eastwood's radiator black. The fans are noisier than I would like but I'm happy with it.

View attachment 1502352
Do you have photos of your swap?

Auto Transport Service
Back