• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radiator help! 1968 gtx

the dude 00

Local time
11:36 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys. My 1968 gtx has a missing radiator shroud. After a little investigation, I discovered that it's not the original rad. It's actually out of a 1973 c body 440. I'm having heat issues in hot weather when idling(what else is new). I was told the rad was recored,so I thought getting the shroud would probably solve my problems. There is four bolt holes for shroud mounting and their spacing is about 11.5" apart. I can't seem to find a shroud with said spacing and I'm also wandering if the fan alignment would be okay,considering all facts. Question is, do I bother with shroud,hoping I can find one that will fit and solve my heat issue or just buy an aluminum one with everything included,being that it's not the original rad anyways? Any guidance or opinion will be appreciated. Thanks!

I for one am not a Fan of Aluminum Radiators
Yes: they are "good"
What I did for my 70 Bee was to have it re-done
No heating issues and I live in the Mojave desert (102 almost everyday)

Now: YES, get a Fan Shroud
It well help
You may have "other issues"

They are available at: http://moparcarparts.com/
Or try Tony Mopar

I checked that one but the bolt spacing is incorrect. Also am I to assume that the fan to rad alignment will work when mating a 1973 cbody rad shroud to a 68 bbody?

I checked that one but the bolt spacing is incorrect. Also am I to assume that the fan to rad alignment will work when mating a 1973 cbody rad shroud to a 68 bbody?

If the '73 C-body radiator is bolted in up/down correctly, the '73 shroud will fit & work. You may have to adjust it's up/down a little if it was installed anything like I had my old C-body radiator installed. Personally, I'd give it a shot with the existing radiator + shroud & maybe a radiator flush (Prestone do-it-yourself type) and see if it cooled OK. If not, THEN start laying out the cash for a new/better radiator (brass or aluminum, your choice)

Auto Transport Service
Back