• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radiator hoses collapsing

bandit

Local time
9:03 AM
Reaction score
My top and bottom hoses going to the radiator completely collapse when the car is off and cooled down. They are fine when running. Like it is creating suction while cooling down and collapses them. Can't say I have ever seen this before but can someone weigh in if this is normal? I can pull the release on the radiator cap and you can here it sucking in air and the hoses start going back to normal.

-It's on a 70 Charger.
-Replaced thermostat a while ago and temp holds correct when driving. Hoses were collapsing before and after thermostat was changed.
-New radiator. Again was doing before and after new radiator.
-New radiator cap. Bought this first thing when I got the car. It was not collapsing the hoses before the new cap but the old cap was leaking around the seal so it wasn't holding pressure anyways so not sure this means anything.

And one thing to add about the new radiator cap in case it helps. When I bought it, the new cap was not seating correctly in the radiator so I had to take the rubber washer from the old cap and add it to the new one so it sealed. So in other words it now has two rubber washer seals at the end of the spring on the cap that mate with the radiator. I'd just go and buy another cap to test but all the caps had this problem with not being long enough to seat fully.(bizzarre) Spent a good hour trying different caps for different cars at Autozone with no luck so had to add the extra washer to make it work. Cap has correct pressure rating for the 70 Charger though and again it releases pressure if you lift up the pressure release handle on the cap.

By adding the extra rubber washer you covered up the little poppet valve in the middle. Get another cap.

if you have an overflow tank for the coolant, you should not use a cap with a safety release'. safety caps will not let coolant escape from radiator.

Auto Transport Service
Back